Found this little blurb on DVDTalk

This forum has been closed and archived. No further postings allowed. Read-only access. For more informations read this announcement.
fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Found this little blurb on DVDTalk

Post by fnordboy » Dec 6th 2002, 2:08 pm

heh is this anyone from here:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Rogue588
About this whole MTM thing...perhaps studios should look into providing TV season On Demand.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like a great idea. Just as long as they don't use anotheruniverse.com to distribute!

Lurker1999
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Lurker1999 » Dec 6th 2002, 4:50 pm

Wasn't me but I've made sure to post my opinions of AU on dvdtalk to alert the people there.

Jim
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Jim » Dec 6th 2002, 5:01 pm

"This whole MTM thing" is a reference to the fact that Fox is disappointed with the sales of the Mary Tyler Moore Show Season One set. Which is a shame, because (a) it was a great series that stands up well today, 30 years later, and (b) the set was very well produced, with excellent picture quality, nifty packaging, some interesting commentary tracks and a documentary that featured just about all the surviving cast and crew.

I like the MSCL set, but the MTM set is a perfect example of how a TV series can make a great DVD - as long as the people involved really believe in what they're doing.

So everyone do me a favour, OK? Run out and buy a copy of the MTM set, so maybe Fox will be convinced to release more of them. Please?

End of sermon.

Jim
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Got to kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

Mold E. Peaches
Liberty High Student

Post by Mold E. Peaches » Dec 6th 2002, 6:50 pm

Jim wrote:"This whole MTM thing" is a reference to the fact that Fox is disappointed with the sales of the Mary Tyler Moore Show Season One set. Which is a shame, because (a) it was a great series that stands up well today, 30 years later, and (b) the set was very well produced, with excellent picture quality, nifty packaging, some interesting commentary tracks and a documentary that featured just about all the surviving cast and crew.

I like the MSCL set, but the MTM set is a perfect example of how a TV series can make a great DVD - as long as the people involved really believe in what they're doing.

So everyone do me a favour, OK? Run out and buy a copy of the MTM set, so maybe Fox will be convinced to release more of them. Please?

End of sermon.

Jim
I already bought mine..... :D ....isn't there a little card inside yours that says season 2 is coming in march? i hope that's not a false promise......because that would make me really really sad.....

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Dec 6th 2002, 9:37 pm

Jim wrote:"This whole MTM thing" is a reference to the fact that Fox is disappointed with the sales of the Mary Tyler Moore Show Season One set. Which is a shame, because (a) it was a great series that stands up well today, 30 years later, and (b) the set was very well produced, with excellent picture quality, nifty packaging, some interesting commentary tracks and a documentary that featured just about all the surviving cast and crew.

End of sermon.

Jim
Jim,

Ya I heard about the MTM situation. There was a chat session with one of Fox's executives the other night with regards to Fox's TV series on DVD. If I can dig up the link for you I will post it. Basically the lack of sucess of MTM is causing Fox, and I presume others, to easy back on releasing some of the older series on DVD.

Its almost like MSCL got studios attention about how much demand there is for TV series on DVD out there. MTM might have shown studio companies the limits of demand. The Fox guy said that the market may be approaching saturation.

Good news: Simpsons, Buffy, X-Files are selling well. They have worked out the syndication problems with region one (the reason why the rest of the world to this point has gotten American Series TV on DVD first) leading to an earlier release of Angel and Dark Angel. Space Above and Beyond is about a year off or more (D'oh! ).

Bad news: No plans for the Tick (animated or live) or Brisco County Jr.

Anyway MTM is indeed on my list, so I will try and help out the cause.

All the best,

Lance Man

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Dec 6th 2002, 9:41 pm

MovieMac
Liberty High Student

Post by MovieMac » Dec 6th 2002, 11:28 pm

Just to make this clear again: Peter Staddon (from the FOX chat) said FOX is disappointed in the sales of the first MTM set but he never said there would be no future sets! Maybe we will loose the fourth disc and with it the documentary in coming sets but we'll hopefully get the "remaining" 6 seasons of Mary. :)

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Dec 6th 2002, 11:51 pm

I would pick up the MTM set myself, but i just am not a HUGE MTM fan. Though Ted Knight kicks much ass.

Personally the only Mary Tyler Moore project i am anxiosuly waiting for is the Dick Van Dyke set.

But if i can find it cheap enough i will probably pick up the MTM just to help the cause.

DoubleBilled
Three Rivers Resident

Post by DoubleBilled » Dec 7th 2002, 2:39 am

fnordboy wrote:Ted Knight kicks much ass.
That is the best thing I have read on this board in a while.

Ted Knight did kick ass... he drew Cosmic Cow! God bless him.

db

Jim
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Jim » Dec 7th 2002, 9:40 am

It really will be a shame if they don't release more seasons of MTM, because the show improved consistently from one season to the next, and they had the good sense to take it off the air before it had overstayed its welcome.

I was talking to a friend the other day about TV shows on DVD. Basically, we agreed that if we can get all the episodes of a series a season at a time with good picture quality at a reasonable price, then anything else - commentaries, documentaries, etc. - is a bonus. So I'd be perfectly happy if Fox continues the MTM sets with fewer supplements. After all, better to do that than not release them at all.

I noticed in the HTF chat that there was no mention of Fox's M*A*S*H releases - which are about as bare-bones as you can get. I know that Season Three is scheduled for early next year, but I haven't heard anything about any further releases. That'll be a tough decision. I loved the first three seasons, but after Wayne Rogers and McLean Stevenson left, the show spent the next eight years going steadily downhill.

Jim
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Got to kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

So-Called Loon
Angela's best friend

Post by So-Called Loon » Dec 7th 2002, 10:59 am

I'd still like to see that second season of MSCL!

:wink:
Been a member since sometime BR (before Ross)

GordLacey
TVShowsOnDVD.com

Post by GordLacey » Dec 7th 2002, 11:42 am

lance wrote:Bad news: No plans for the Tick (animated or live) or Brisco County Jr.
It's funny that Peter mentioned Brisco since Fox doesn't even own the rights to the show. Yes, it aired on the Fox network, but it's owned by Warner Bros.

Gord

Calhoun07
Overlooked Sibling

re: No plans for Tick

Post by Calhoun07 » Dec 7th 2002, 1:18 pm

Perhaps if somebody could take Fox execs to E-bay to show how well the bootleg VCDs and DVDs of the Tick (I have it on both formats, and would gladly replace them with an official DVD set) are selling on Ebay at 25 bucks a pop, sometimes more, then I think they would reconsider their stance. There IS a demand for this show on DVD.

And if they just do best of sets for Mary Tyler Moore, I hope the DVDs just sit on the shelf, collect dust, and end up in a compost heap. Best of sets are an insult to the fans. I would rather see http://www.fox.com open an online store where they sold exclusive sets of some of the shows they don't feel would do well enough in the stores rather than scrap the plans all together.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Dec 7th 2002, 5:42 pm

GordLacey wrote:
lance wrote:Bad news: No plans for the Tick (animated or live) or Brisco County Jr.
It's funny that Peter mentioned Brisco since Fox doesn't even own the rights to the show. Yes, it aired on the Fox network, but it's owned by Warner Bros.

Gord
I know this killed me. I want to see Brisco again (i only have one episode on tape :( ). Next to Evil Dead trilogy that is Campbell's best work IMO.

So hopefully Fox was talking out of it's ass and the WB will release it.