How can I persuade my bank to help me get my money back?

This forum has been closed and archived. No further postings allowed. Read-only access. For more informations read this announcement.
RyeBlume
Three Rivers Resident

How can I persuade my bank to help me get my money back?

Post by RyeBlume » Dec 4th 2002, 4:55 pm

I recently went to my bank (Amsouth) and asked them what to do to get my money back from my overcharge in July and my cancellation refund in October. They said that there was no way they could help me since it was over 60 days ago that the charges were made. I know that a lot of people here have convinced their credit card companies to help them even when it is over the time limit, but has anyone done this with their bank? If so, how?? I am desperate for some advice.

I could tell that the people at the bank thought I was such an idiot for 1.) paying my money up front in March and 2.) actually believing anotheruniverse over the summer when they said that we shouldn't dispute the overcharge with banks/CCCs because it would cancel our whole MSCL order automatically. In a normal situation, the logical thing to do would've been to dispute it anyway and just reorder if necessary, but that wasn't a good idea with this product because, supposedly, there was only a limited number of sets being made. It just kills me because we were all so desperate to get MSCL on DVD that we would've believed pretty much anything... the project seemed so fantastic. The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that AU knew that we were good targets for fraud due to our desperation for the set. I think the worst thing about this whole situation is the feeling of being victimized and powerless. Don't get me wrong, the money is a big deal to me too. As a college student and with christmas, I really need that 200 dollars.... but I think that being a victim is a worse feeling.
I hope you can all forgive the rant because I know its just rehashing old frustrations and anger that ALL of us feel. I had managed to put that anger out of my mind for a while, but I was definitely feeling it return in full force at the bank. So.. excuse me while I go scream into a pillow or something :twisted:

so-called customer
Between Names

Post by so-called customer » Dec 4th 2002, 5:23 pm

I would ask to speak to the manager, and have plenty of documentation with you to show the course of events. I would argue that there were extenuating circumstances in this case, and that plenty of other people are affected.

If they still refuse to do anything, I would threaten to close your accounts (which may or may not carry any weight depending on your situation) and if that still didn't do anything, threaten to contact the media about it - make sure to ask the correct spelling manager's name right before doing this.

Good luck.

jmwoodward
Tino

Post by jmwoodward » Dec 4th 2002, 5:41 pm

That's too bad that your bank isn't being more helpful. We talked to the Fraud Management Department at our bank. We sent them a 20 page fax
with copies of our statements and all the emails that we'd received from Another Universe + dates of phone calls to them. A few days after we sent the fax, we had our account credited. It was well past 60 days when this was done. I would definitely call them again and speak to someone high up who deals with fraudulent claims.

Jenny

Lurker1999
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Lurker1999 » Dec 5th 2002, 7:42 am

Be persistant about your claim. I'm assuming you paid by check or debit card rather than credit card which will make it a bit more difficult for you to get your money back. Someone may be able to help you out with debit card protection or you can go directly to the visa or mastercard sites and review the information yourself. Contacting visa or mastercard may also be helpful.

Make sure you've filed a fraud complaint with the FBI IFCC website and make sure you call your local PD back after they contact you.

vapspwi
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by vapspwi » Dec 5th 2002, 9:32 am

Lurker1999 wrote:Be persistant about your claim. I'm assuming you paid by check or debit card rather than credit card which will make it a bit more difficult for you to get your money back. Someone may be able to help you out with debit card protection or you can go directly to the visa or mastercard sites and review the information yourself. Contacting visa or mastercard may also be helpful.

Make sure you've filed a fraud complaint with the FBI IFCC website and make sure you call your local PD back after they contact you.
I was overcharged on a debit card, and recently contacted my bank. They directed me to their debit card center, and the person that I talked to told me that it had been over 120 days and that they couldn't do anything about it. Based on suggestions from here, I asked to speak to a supervisor. She said he'd tell me the same thing, but I insisted.

The supervisor listened to my whole story, wherein I told him about the fraudulent practices that AU had been employing and stuff, and he asked me to send him a letter documenting everything I'd told him and he'd see what he could do. I sent him a 3 page letter, an additional page of links to AU, this forum, The Digital Bits interview with Jason, etc., and about 12 pages of e-mail traffic, including the original announcement of the set, subsequent communication from AU, and the private traffic between me and AU support and Ross.

So my advice is to be persistent, go up the ladder if you have to (emphasizing the fraud of AU), and provide tons of documentation.

JRjr

Hwel
Tino

Post by Hwel » Dec 5th 2002, 3:50 pm

I wrote a two-page description of what happened in as much detail as I could and included printouts/copies of the following:

- the CC statements showing the original $20 charge and the $79.98 secondary charge
- the email from AU anouncing the June date and talking about that "authorizations can't be left open for more than 90 days" crap (sent fourteen days after they charged my card for the rest, BTW)
- the "receipt" I found in the mail one day
- another email promising 9/17
- my cancellation email
- AU/DryGrass' auto-reply "Mike McCollough has taken your item out of the queue"
- my IFCC complaint
- Jason's survey results showing that AU just don't pay people back

All of this I gave to my bank (I do not have a direct contact to my CC company) who just faxed it to Visa. It took a little over a week, and I have my money back now. :)

But then, in non-personal stuff I'm usually better writing than talking face-to-face, so YMMV.

HTH, Oliver.

RyeBlume
Three Rivers Resident

Post by RyeBlume » Dec 5th 2002, 9:58 pm

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I will get to work on compiling my documents!

cool rider
Liberty High Student

Post by cool rider » Dec 6th 2002, 4:03 am

I got my money back from my April charge just yesterday, so dont give up hope because of the 120 day thing. Just in case here is a list of everything I sent along, and if you are interested I can send any of the docoments or the contact history I sent my cc company (I am pasting from my letter, so excuse the tense of the letter):

1. I have enclosed a copy of a BMG press release stating that http://www.anotheruniverse.com would be the exclusive retailer of the set
2. ...I got a written receipt, which I have enclosed a copy of. (this is the postal letter sent)
3. I have included a copy of my statement with the charge which is labeled The Comicstore.com (interestingly enough my credit card company supposedly couldn't see records this far back, so I sent along the statements just in case. I think it was more like they didnt want to bother looking it up)
4. Copy of the statement where I was doublecharged
5. I have enclosed a copy of the e-mail stating the release date as 9/17/02
6. I have enclosed a copy of http://www.amazon.com, which shows the box set for half the price. Amazon is one of the countless retailers that have the box set (to prove it is not exclusive anymore)
7. (I have enclosed an e-mail stating an employee of http://www.anotheruniverse.com has ‘taken my problem out of the queue’ and that my refund should post in 1-3 days. That e-mail was sent to me on 10/24/02
8. Copy of the un-cancel e-mail, just to sort of back up the fact that I was on the cancel list.
9. ...and the only response I have received was from Mike, which I have enclosed a copy of. The e-mail clearly states that I should “pursue whatever means you feel is necessary to protect my best interest.”
10. I sent the link to this forum, and I gave them a copy of my complaint with the IFCC just for the heck of it.
11. I dont have it listed, but I swear I sent in a copy of the http://www.anotheruniverse.com page that said the box was exclusive also.

Anyway, this is all kind of long and mostly repeats what ever other poster has said, but maybe it will help in someway. I am surprised my bank was so quick, they told me because of the problem it would probably take anywhere from 30-60 days, but it only took about 2 weeks. I guess once they tried to deal with anotheruniverse they knew I wasn't joking. Also as a precaution, after I called the bank and found out that my credit was really there I had them cancel my card and send me a new one. I haven't seen other people say they have done this, but I don't want another universe to ever charge me again.
"You wish it, I dish it, I thought we were clear on this. I didn't think you were gonna go all narc on me."

rainydayjanes
Nicky Driscoll

Post by rainydayjanes » Dec 6th 2002, 10:32 pm

I second what everyone else said... Visa's provisionally credited me; after enough time without a response from AU indicating that the charges are legitimate (or, in the fanciful alternative, a response from AU that the charges aren't legitimate, which would of course be accompanied by a fleet of airborne pigs) they'll presumably become permanent credits. The key to mine, as I understand it, really was that they never delivered the product, and that the last ship date AU had proffered was less than sixty days prior to the day I put the charges into dispute. I also sent in copies of all the e-mail I had and pointed them here, AU's site, and a couple of other places. Slow process to be sure, but at least I don't have to worry about it and freaking babysit the situation anymore. Best of luck with the disputes...