Question about the actual product you received.....

This forum has been closed and archived. No further postings allowed. Read-only access. For more informations read this announcement.
Benebula98
Liberty High Student

Question about the actual product you received.....

Post by Benebula98 » Dec 3rd 2002, 7:08 pm

Hey Guys!
Still no DVDs today. I am so sad about this whole lame thing. I just wanna cancel my order and buy it at my local Best Buy, but I can't get an answer to any of my emails or phone calls to even do that. Now if I buy it at Best Buy it will totally end up coming the next day, so.......

Did your set come shrink wrapped or in any special packaging?

I could always return my AU copy to Best Buy, as long as they are identical and sealed....right?

Thanx for any help!
*BEN*

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 3rd 2002, 7:11 pm

Each DVD is individually shrinkwrapped, and then the box itself is shrinkwrapped as well. Should be exactly the same regardless of the vendor.

I had the same idea myself to return a set (before I cancelled my Amazon order). Honestly I was afraid I would never get that $100 back from AU if I returned the set though.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Dec 3rd 2002, 7:12 pm

Yes it comes shrink wrapped (like fort F'n knox).

From what i have seen it looks identical to the ones at BEst Buy...minus the BB price sticker of course.

You should be able to do what you said. But i dont know if they will give you cash back or just a Gift Card/ even exchange. You might want to just check on that before you buy it.

Benebula98
Liberty High Student

On second thought....

Post by Benebula98 » Dec 3rd 2002, 7:23 pm

I'm dumb! I bought the 4-19 set, so I can't!
Poooooooooooooooop!
*BEN*

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Dec 3rd 2002, 7:39 pm

I know you just realised that the set you bought is the 4-19 set, but I thought I'd mention this to anyone who might be thinking about returning "extra" sets to a retailer.

Last Christmas, I received an anime DVD (Big O vol.2). The problem was, I already had it and the person who gave it to me lost the receipt. I figured I'd take it to Best Buy and exchange it for something else. No big deal, right?

Wrong. The UPC code on the copy I received was different than the one BB stocked, so they wouldn't take it even though it was brand new. I learned that vendors will have different UPC's for different retailers. Amazon.com will get a batch with a particular code, Best Buy, Wal Mart and Suncoast will get another.

So in order for anyone to try to exchange their unwanted sets, they have to make sure the store carries the same UPC, because AU's set may be different.

I'm not encouraging this practice, but you may want to be aware of this.

I hope everything works out for you Benebula98. Take care.

Gary

so-called customer
Between Names

Post by so-called customer » Dec 3rd 2002, 11:51 pm

Actually Gary, you are incorrect. The UPC code will be the same, as it is printed on the packaging. If a store makes its own internal SKU codes, then it will differ, but they don't print seperate cover runs on a per store basis, otherwise they'd be unable to sell returned stock.

That said, many stores won't accept returns anymore without a receipt, even sealed product. This does suck when relatives send you stuff you have from out of town, but I guess the stores are protecting themselves from shoplifters who would return product for cash.

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Dec 4th 2002, 12:23 am

so-called customer,

Thanks for the info about the SKU's. I hadn't known about that.

FWIW, I checked the UPC's for the disc I tried to return and the copies at Best Buy and they were in fact different. I looked into it further, and what I wrote above is what I found out.

I don't blame the stores for not accepting product without receipts at all - when I worked at a Borders, we had the problem of people swiping cd's and books and then trying to cash them in. Luckily, we caught them.

Again, thanks.

Gary

higgy
Nicky Driscoll

Post by higgy » Dec 4th 2002, 7:00 am

so-called customer wrote:I guess the stores are protecting themselves from shoplifters who would return product for cash.
Not just shoplifters. I've seen people bragging on some forums that they've bought 2 items in a "Buy One - Get One free" type offer, only to then "return" them to stores not running that kind offer - to make a profit. Which, of course, is fraud and explains why many stores are toughening up on their "no quibbles" returns policies.