Anyone Who Paid TAX on a AU order

This forum has been closed and archived. No further postings allowed. Read-only access. For more informations read this announcement.
InAnotherUniverse.com
Tino

Anyone Who Paid TAX on a AU order

Post by InAnotherUniverse.com » Dec 2nd 2002, 7:30 am

It has just occured to me, looking at the AU reciept it appears that we paid tax for the whole $100...meaning that if/when we get the lunchbox etc we will be charged tax on that as well, IMO :cry: .

So, as the first of the two boxes we will get delivered has been taxed at the full price...will the second box get charged at full price as well? I can't see UPS believing that we need pay no tax on it...they'll look and thing "yeah right, as if a DVD and a lunchbox aren't worth anything."

The more paranoid veiw is that maybe Ross and AU can argue that they delivered the full thing as we paid the tax for the whole thing...they may be able to argue that was the full order...therefore get out of giving us the lunchboxes and bonus material. :shock:

The above paragraph is just me being paranoid (I hope) but does anyone think we won't be taxed the same again? What can we do about it...really AU should have labeled these disks as being $50 and the nnext parcel at $50 too.

Anyone know if my suspisions are correct? This is also vaguly touched upon on http://www.mscl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1811 but without the tax debate.

canavan23
Tino

Post by canavan23 » Dec 2nd 2002, 9:04 am

I already posted about this a couple of days ago.
As the tax has already been paid on the first delivery, the box set, any extras should be sent as either "promotional items" or as valued at "$0.00"

If there is a charge (ie: AU do put "value=$50" on the export ticket), you can apeall against this charge.
If you can prove that the dvd set, the lunch box and the bonus disc were an "all in" price of $100, show the receipt for the tax you have already paid. This should be enough to get the charge cancelled.

I got this froma guy that imports/exports records and deals with this type of thing.
Teh intarnat si so big that if yuo fell into it, nobodey would hear yuo scream for 19 decades!

so-called customer
Between Names

Post by so-called customer » Dec 2nd 2002, 1:15 pm

You shouldn't have to pay tax, but it will all depend on how AU ships them. Regardless of the declared value, customs is free to assess a charge of whatever they feel appropriate, then it is up to you to dispute. Depending on where you live, there may also be a nonrefundable "handling" fee.

GordLacey
TVShowsOnDVD.com

Post by GordLacey » Dec 5th 2002, 11:48 am

Months ago I emailed Ross and suggested he place a $5 US value on the items. That's enough that it's worth something, but also low enough that all the countries I know of don't place a tax or tarrif on the goods.

He said he'd look into it.

Gord

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Dec 5th 2002, 11:52 am

GordLacey wrote: He said he'd look into it.
Of course he did. Expectation from that statement that something would actually happen? Big fat Nada.

But it was months ago, and we weren't to know...

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Dec 5th 2002, 12:24 pm

In Ross' defense <heh> I'm surprised he hasn't figured out a way for himself to cash in on the taxes and customs charges etc. And i'm also surprised he would mark the correct price and give someone else (UPS or whomever) extra dough.

Ok i guess that wasnt in his defense.... :evil:

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Dec 5th 2002, 1:35 pm

Hmmm. I'm thinking of reasons Gord's suggestion wasn't taken up. So far I have these options:

a) Ross ignores everybody, always;
b) Ross forgot
c) Ross figured out that (as has been pointed out on here before) mail fraud is a crime and that possibly marking things with a lower than actual value constitutes mail fraud as well as tax fraud...

as far as c) goes, mail fraud is pretty huge and can open up a massive investigation with huge penalties. If memory serves, that's what they got Al Capone on in the end. Not killing people... mail fraud.

:wink:

I'll take c. Ross was afraid that a major investigation would ensue if one international order was opened up and found to contain items of clearly a higher value than marked... instant can of worms, anyone?

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Dec 5th 2002, 1:37 pm

starbug wrote: as far as c) goes, mail fraud is pretty huge and can open up a massive investigation with huge penalties. If memory serves, that's what they got Al Capone on in the end. Not killing people... mail fraud.
Hmm i thought it was tax evasion or something...but you might be right.

Now ross with change his name on the FnckedCompany.com board to CrackWhoreAlCapone.....friggin retard

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Dec 5th 2002, 1:42 pm

Oh, yeah, I think it was tax evasion - I'm getting my fiction muddled with reality - maybe it was in The Firm where they got mafia bosses on mail fraud...

Doh.

:)