Has anyone been contacted by authorities?

This forum has been closed and archived. No further postings allowed. Read-only access. For more informations read this announcement.
andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Has anyone been contacted by authorities?

Post by andrewgd » Nov 11th 2002, 8:31 pm

I heard something about people being contacted, and I was wondering if that was true. I'm just curious if the ball has begun rolling on this. (Rolling down the ramp aimed at AU).

I completely understand if you're not supposed to talk about it "pending investigation". But if you can, I'd love to know if the whole IFCCFBI thing has gotten started. It'd also be interesting to hear what was asked about...if possible...
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Re: Has anyone been contacted by authorities?

Post by Jason R » Nov 11th 2002, 9:00 pm

Yes. Mostly local police departments. Usually cybercrime divisions.

arteitle
Liberty High Student

Post by arteitle » Nov 11th 2002, 10:05 pm

I received a stock response from the PA State Police Bureau of Investigation Cyber Crime Unit ( http://141.151.149.2/ifcc/ ) in regards to my FBI IFCC complaint, and it directed me to their own site, where my complaint information had been transferred. I was to make sure it was all correct and fill in any missing blanks, and an investigator would be assigned to the case soon, and might contact me. That was at the end of last week; nothing so far, but I'm still expecting further developments.

Aaron T.

Lurker1999
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Lurker1999 » Nov 11th 2002, 11:02 pm

I was contacted by my local police department's cybercrime division after I filed the IFCC complaint. An officer called me and asked me to explain the situation to him. He will forward the information to the police department where the web servers that AU runs off of are based as they have jurisdiction in the matter.

Mold E. Peaches
Liberty High Student

Post by Mold E. Peaches » Nov 11th 2002, 11:43 pm

looks like AU will get what they deserve hopefully

Jennifer
Nicky Driscoll

Post by Jennifer » Nov 12th 2002, 9:09 am

Is it wrong for me to hope that AU gets what they deserve AFTER I get my dvd's? :?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 12th 2002, 3:19 pm

Not at all - no one wants to see AU go down before all the DVDs are shipped. All that would do is punish the loyal customers. :(

I'm beginning to understand the mentality behind looting and rioting.*

:shock:

*this statement may not be used to implicate the author in a court of law

lele8181
Tino

Maryland Attorney General contacted me

Post by lele8181 » Dec 4th 2002, 4:45 pm

I spoke with a rep from the Attorney General's office & explained that I had cancelled my order directly with Ross on October 8th, and nothing had been done about it. I have also sent weekly email reminders to Ross & AU cancelling my order, left phone messages, filed a request on the Drygrass website (which was cleared from the queue but clearly never processed), and filed complaints with several different agencies. She has spoken to Ross, and he seemed very cooperative & open to resolve it. I also explained to her that AU sent me the DVDs anyway, but I called UPS & told them to return the package to sender. I have started the dispute process with my credit card but they said it will take several months.

Hopefully the attorney general will take care of this. Good luck to everyone.

rainydayjanes
Nicky Driscoll

Post by rainydayjanes » Dec 6th 2002, 10:43 pm

I got a call from the Maryland Attorney General's consumer fraud division on Wednesday (12/4).

My roommate: Dude, you have a message from the Attorney General!
Me: Aaaah! Is it bad?
Her: Um... I don't think so. I didn't listen too close.

I was trying to figure out if I had applied for a job there, but it turns out that they'd gotten my IFCC complaint. The woman said that she'd actually spoken to Rojek (amazing! bastard takes calls! who knew?) and she said it sounded to her as though they were trying to turn things around at AU, and she said that I should call her if I was still having problems.

I called back and said that I'd cancelled my order and been provisionally credited by my credit card company but that I still had never heard from them about my cancellation, and that I hoped they were indeed getting their act together, but that I wouldn't believe Rojek if he told me that the sky is blue and grass is green, but that in any case things seemed to be straightened out on my end. In hindsight I feel that I should've emphasized that their promise to do better in the future doesn't erase their past shitty conduct, but hell, she's the one with the law degree and the bar admission, so what the hell do I know?

Are there fellow Marylanders out there who've heard anything? Not that I care deeply, frankly, because I have way more important s**t going on right now, but I got the sense from the message that Maryland wasn't going to pursue things with AU. Although, again, I just can't bring myself to care too deeply, because I'm not really a resident and I'm moving the hell out as soon as I can anyway.

ilikefreestuff
Tino

Post by ilikefreestuff » Dec 7th 2002, 11:03 pm

I just got an e-mail from my local police detective asking me to give him a call. It freaked me out a bit. I honestly didn't think my complaint (I filed one with the IFCC) would be dealt with, and I never thought some police guy would contact me! Can anyone who's already been contacted by someone tell me what to expect when I call him back? He should already know what's going on from my report, so am I just clearing up any questions he has? Thanks.

ilikefreestuff
Tino

Post by ilikefreestuff » Dec 9th 2002, 5:52 pm

I had to go into my local police department and file a formal complaint. The officer I talked to was all annoyed and acted like I hadn't made any effort on my own to get my money back.

Officer: Why are you here?
Me: You contacted me and told me I had to come in and fill out some paperwork.
Officer: Oh. Why are you here?

Don't get me wrong, I think police officers are great. The one I talked to just made me feel like a moron.

JPP13
Angela's best friend

Post by JPP13 » Dec 9th 2002, 6:10 pm

In fairness to the officer, its probably tough to get excited hearing about a non-refund when he may have just spent the last 3 hours with an assault victim or the family of murder victim.

ilikefreestuff
Tino

Post by ilikefreestuff » Dec 9th 2002, 11:38 pm

JPP13 wrote:In fairness to the officer, its probably tough to get excited hearing about a non-refund when he may have just spent the last 3 hours with an assault victim or the family of murder victim.
True, except I live in a midwestern town of roughly 8000 people. Nothing happens here ever, trust me. The detective I talked to said he had never even done a case like this before so he wasn't really sure how to handle it.

lele8181
Tino

Post by lele8181 » Dec 10th 2002, 2:44 pm

rainydayjanes wrote:I got a call from the Maryland Attorney General's consumer fraud division on Wednesday (12/4).

My roommate: Dude, you have a message from the Attorney General!
Me: Aaaah! Is it bad?
Her: Um... I don't think so. I didn't listen too close.

I was trying to figure out if I had applied for a job there, but it turns out that they'd gotten my IFCC complaint. The woman said that she'd actually spoken to Rojek (amazing! bastard takes calls! who knew?) and she said it sounded to her as though they were trying to turn things around at AU, and she said that I should call her if I was still having problems.

I called back and said that I'd cancelled my order and been provisionally credited by my credit card company but that I still had never heard from them about my cancellation, and that I hoped they were indeed getting their act together, but that I wouldn't believe Rojek if he told me that the sky is blue and grass is green, but that in any case things seemed to be straightened out on my end. In hindsight I feel that I should've emphasized that their promise to do better in the future doesn't erase their past shitty conduct, but hell, she's the one with the law degree and the bar admission, so what the hell do I know?

Are there fellow Marylanders out there who've heard anything? Not that I care deeply, frankly, because I have way more important s**t going on right now, but I got the sense from the message that Maryland wasn't going to pursue things with AU. Although, again, I just can't bring myself to care too deeply, because I'm not really a resident and I'm moving the hell out as soon as I can anyway.
The MD Attorny General's office is the office that contacted me last week & I haven't heard anything back yet. I'll probably call later this week.