For those who won't be getting the bonus disk....

This forum has been closed and archived. No further postings allowed. Read-only access. For more informations read this announcement.
Sameritech
Jody Barsh

Got It

Post by Sameritech » Nov 8th 2002, 6:21 pm

All I'll say is, I have a set-top DVD burner.

Wink, wink

so-called customer
Between Names

Post by so-called customer » Nov 8th 2002, 6:27 pm

I don't care if you aren't making money on it, you have no right to distribute the intellectual property of others, period. It is still illegal, and is still piracy, and is just as scummy as AU dicking around their customers like they have.

I can't stop you from doing it, but I would also ask that you consider the position you put this website in by advertising that you are going to be doing this. AU could very well sue this site for accomodating the piracy of their product, and shut it down, it wouldn't be the first time someone has done that. Just because you are willing to break laws doesn't mean you have the right to jeopardize other people's interests while doing it.

pirategraham
Jody Barsh

Post by pirategraham » Nov 8th 2002, 6:29 pm

The laws on copyright protection, are extremely restrictive. I attended a lecture on copyrights and music a few years back. If you run a business, say a mom and pop dry cleaners. You have a radio playing in the back room for your own personal entertainment, but it can be heard by customers at the front counter, you are required to pay royalties. :shock:

If your school band is working on a piece and the 2nd trumpeter loses his copy of the music, you musty immediately order a replacement copy. You are then allowed to photocopy the part to use while the replacent piece is in transit. Upon receiving the replacement part, you must immediately destroy the photocopy.

When you buy (or rent) the music for a piece that gives you the right to practice the music but not perform it. That is a seperate negotiation. Even if you are giving a benefit concert or the money is going to charity, you are still required to pay royalties.

This is what the law says. Obviously, it often goes uninforced. You can be ticketed for speeding if you are even 1 mile over the limit, but very few cops are willing to go through the hassle of stopping you for it. They concentrate on the blatant offenders.

If you make a copy of something for any purpose other then a single personal backup, you are in violation of the law. If you are only making a small amount of copies and making little or no money off the deal, the court costs are greater than any judgement the copyright owners might get, so there is little point in going after these people.

If you are in a band that plays cover tunes, do not fear, even if you get famous. It is the venue's responsibility to pay the royalties. As long as you don't record anything, you can't be sued.

2 things the laws managed to get right is that both record stores and stereo stores are exempt from paying royalties. An odd one is that music played at State Fairs is exempt. I guess they happened to have a lobbyist in the right place at the right time.

Well, this is pretty long already. I have more information but I don't want to bore people too much. If you want to hear more I will continue. If not, I won't be offended.
"The finish line is my happy place."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 8th 2002, 6:37 pm

Very very true! If you go to a dance class or aerobics class, the studio or gym is supposed to pay royalties for the music you hear. I believe that the business is supposed to buy a copy for their use (rather than having the instructors bring in their personal copies).

When your cute little 3 year old has a dance recital where she tap dances all dressed up in a duck costumer, someone should be playing royalties.

The sheet music thing is the same for choirs, so if the director ordered 20 copies and then the next year there are 30 people in the choir, the options are order more official copies or have people share.

All this paying royalties stuff is why some restaurants use the same songs endlessly (if you are at some places for more than an hour or two you'll see what I mean). Maybe that is also why Old Navy, Eddie Bauer, and other stores have started putting together compilation CDs - once they pay for the rights they can play it over and over, right?

pirategraham
Jody Barsh

Post by pirategraham » Nov 8th 2002, 6:59 pm

All this paying royalties stuff is why some restaurants use the same songs endlessly (if you are at some places for more than an hour or two you'll see what I mean). Maybe that is also why Old Navy, Eddie Bauer, and other stores have started putting together compilation CDs - once they pay for the rights they can play it over and over, right?

This is why Muzac is a business. When I worked at Little Caesars, We had a contract with a company. They would give us 4 4-track tapes to play for the month and we could play them as much or as little as we wanted and they took care of the royalties for us. I don't know how much we paid, but at least they had "real" songs by "real" artists.

When I was at the cable company, we had these disks of music that were copyright cleared for use on the air. This company pays no-name composers to wirte generic music and they sign away their royalties. The weather channel uses this company (I often hear the same pieces that I used on my show.) A lot of companies also use this music when they put you on hold.

If you hear "real" music, somebody is getting paid on a regular basis. ASCAP and BMG aren't "that" stupid.

pirategraham
Jody Barsh

Post by pirategraham » Nov 8th 2002, 7:01 pm

OK, how do I get the quote thingy to work properly, Only that first paragraph was a quote.

:oops:

theandygrant
Nicky Driscoll

Post by theandygrant » Nov 8th 2002, 7:04 pm

pirategraham wrote: When you buy (or rent) the music for a piece that gives you the right to practice the music but not perform it. That is a seperate negotiation. Even if you are giving a benefit concert or the money is going to charity, you are still required to pay royalties.
Can I still sing in the shower?

Andy.

pirategraham
Jody Barsh

Post by pirategraham » Nov 8th 2002, 7:16 pm

Can I still sing in the shower?

Andy.
Is this like the joke where the patient asks if he will be able to play the piano?

The law says if the general public has access to the music then it is subject to royalties. Back to the dry cleaners. If the radio is playing in the back room, where the general public is not allowed, then it is OK. But if it is loud enough to be heard from the front counter, where the general public "is" allowed, not OK. Even churches are not exempt. Unless you have the Church Police turning away all non-congregation members, royalties must be paid.

Is the general public allowed in your shower?? :)

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Nov 8th 2002, 7:22 pm

pirategraham wrote:OK, how do I get the quote thingy to work properly, Only that first paragraph was a quote.

:oops:

make sure to leave the [ / quote ] there at the end of the paragraph you want quoted and not at the end of the whole thing..

EDIT - of course take out the spaces in between my example

pgh kenny
Angelica

Post by pgh kenny » Nov 8th 2002, 7:52 pm

so-called customer wrote:AU could very well sue this site for accomodating the piracy of their product, and shut it down, it wouldn't be the first time someone has done that.
We have no proof anotheruniverse.com obtained the proper clearances to release the bonus dvd material.

Are you trying to tell me I should be worried about all those cassette tape mixes I made for my friends back in the late eighties? What about those movies I taped from HBO and gave to my friends? Lot's of people break the speed limit rules in the USA. I choose not to, but I am not about to lecture other people about how they should conduct their lives. if someone wants to drive 55 mph in a 45 mph, it's not that big of deal. similarly if someone wants to distribute a few copies of an interview that was done for the fans, no big deal in my book. it's not like we are talking about an enron-sized breaking of the law here.

pinkchimney
Overlooked Sibling

Post by pinkchimney » Nov 8th 2002, 7:58 pm

Oh yeah, I'll be handing out the pirated copies of the bonus disk after my trumpet recital, where I'll be playing music from a photocopy because I lost the original sheet music that I bought off of Ebay, which by the way is the place I bought a CD-R of the new Foo Fighters album that was downloaded off of Kazaa, which also plays host to numerous movies released in theatres right now, music, computer software and video games all for download. You can also buy the new Foo cd at a store I own where i blast the new Nirvana song over and over again, unknowingly that I can be sued.

Again I ask, have you ever downloaded a song from the internet?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 8th 2002, 8:04 pm

pgh_kenny wrote:Are you trying to tell me I should be worried about all those cassette tape mixes I made for my friends back in the late eighties? What about those movies I taped from HBO and gave to my friends? Lot's of people break the speed limit rules in the USA. I choose not to, but I am not about to lecture other people about how they should conduct their lives. if someone wants to drive 55 mph in a 45 mph, it's not that big of deal. similarly if someone wants to distribute a few copies of an interview that was done for the fans, no big deal in my book.
I know that I would prefer someone to tape an episode of "Oz" for someone to watch than to drive over the speed limit, if only because the latter could physically hurt another person.

Then again, I'm the anal/paranoid kind of person who tapes favorite tv shows to watch over and over just in case it never gets put out on DVD.

:D

Rickie Love
Yearbook Team

Post by Rickie Love » Nov 8th 2002, 8:22 pm

Kenny, gotta agree. Jeeze, we're not talking armed robbery here. Someone wants to offer people what they will probably NEVER SEE from the people who promised it, something you PAID FOR, I say 'Cool', and Ifor one would be happy to receive it. Let's look at the big picture, hu?
"Oh, just say the word and she's a footnote in history. I'll make it look like a painful accident..."

JPP13
Angela's best friend

Post by JPP13 » Nov 8th 2002, 8:30 pm

I'll weigh in with my two cents. Kenny, you actually hit the key issue with you question about the mix tapes.

While everyone has various opinions on the topic, the Supreme Court has addressed the issue, somewhat.

First off, the Court expressly ALLOWED for exactly the scenario you mentioned. An individual who lends a cassette to a friend who subsequently makes a copy for themselves. It is OK!

The Court ruled that was not infringement, but a fair use of the property, in that context. This was decided before the current technology however.

And that is a big However. As we know, the courts shut down Napster. In that context the Court seemed to feel it was close to becoming a commercial venture. There is a line out there somewhere, but it has not clearly defined yet. Is burning a copy of the Bonus Disc for your buddy more like napster, or more like the cassette for your neighbor? We can argue about that I imagine. Seems like its ok, as long as the disc is not sold. Can we set up a section of this site for everyone to DL it from? I doubt it. That crosses the line.

Hope this may have possibly helped.

so-called customer
Between Names

Post by so-called customer » Nov 8th 2002, 8:39 pm

Again I ask, have you ever downloaded a song from the internet?
Not from an unauthorised source.

Whether AU has gotten the proper clearances for their bonus disc is their problem. If people use this board to promote the piracy of the disc once it comes out, then you are putting the board at risk of being shut down, which makes YOU the loser. If you want to promote your piracy on usenet, that's fine. Doing it here is not cool IMO.

I agree, let us look at the big picture. Do you think anyone will ever again try to put together an extras disc for the fans when they learn those who decided not to pay for it are supportive of pirating it? Why pay for the MSCL DVDs at all, we could just as easily steal them? That would teach them (sarcasm).

This project only got off the ground because there was financial incentive to make it happen. Promoting the theft of that product does nothing to encourage others to pick up the gauntlet for other TV series. Just because AU has screwed up this entire project does not give you justification for stealing from them. If you cancelled your order, you paid for nothing.

[/quote]