I canceled weeks ago but...

This forum has been closed and archived. No further postings allowed. Read-only access. For more informations read this announcement.
Cornelius1047
Overlooked Sibling

I canceled weeks ago but...

Post by Cornelius1047 » Nov 7th 2002, 4:56 am

I recently received this email:

KHALID Q.
Order #XXXXXXXX

Another Universe has begun shipping the My So-Called Life Boxed Sets.
The lunchbox, bonus disk and any other merchandise being sent to you will ship separately. Thank you for your order and patience and we hope you enjoy the series.
-------------------------------------------------------
Your UPS Tracking Number is: (you know how it goes...)
To use this number go to http://www.ups.com

Okay, so I check and it was shipped on November 5th, is currently in transit, and will (if the information is correct) arrive here on the 12th. Won't this be a total pain in the arse to return? Wouldn't just be easier to keep them and "enjoy" it eventho I certainly do not like the idea of letting this company keep my money, after all we've been through with them? What the hell should I do? Seriously. I sent an email a couple days ago to Ross personally telling him I'd like my refund asap, and if he didn't respond I had every intention of filing a complaint. He, of course, didn't respond. And I know my cancelation was read and processed cuz I received emails when Mike, I think, read it. Way before November 5. I am not liking this one bit. This means I'll have to cancel my DDD order, whom I would rather give my money to, and am out more than 50 bux. A lunchbox and bonus disc sometime before the crash of civilization (although not too far off)? I don't care! I just want my money, no DVDs and bogus gift certificates from AU, and nothing else. I want to do my business elsewhere, but it looks like they've given me no choice. Somehow, I'd thought this might happen. :x

What do I do? Jason, buddy?

K
"You're so beautiful it hurts to look at you."

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Nov 7th 2002, 5:14 am

Print out the emails that state that Mike processed your request. Call your bank and visa and dispute the charges.

Don't send the disks back until you get your money, even if AU says they'll refund after you send the disks back.

Definitely dispute it with the bank, only don't mention you are being sent the set. If the bank sees that you send cancellation, and got a reply, you shouldn't be responsible for unsolicited mailings from AU (which it is since you canceled the order).
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

Cornelius1047
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Cornelius1047 » Nov 7th 2002, 5:20 am

Stupid admission #1: I thought I saved those emails, but I didn't. Since it was a few weeks ago, there's no way to get to them now, on AOL, which unlike my other email address, doesn't keep things in your box till you delete it. So there's nothing to print.

Stupid admission #2: I used a check card. I had no choice, since the only other credit card I have is already "off limits". It's not the same process disputing with your bank this way, right? And even if it was, I would need statements from MONTHS ago that I simply do not have at my disposal. They're not totally gone, but they would take days of sifting to get through. :oops:

So, once again, I am screwed, no?

K

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Nov 7th 2002, 5:30 am

I wouldn't say screwed. I'd say you're getting the dvds, and possibly some extras. Sure, you're paying extra, but you're not totally screwed.

I'd say you could still try and get AU to refund the money, and "promise" you'll send the dvds back when you get refunded. But that almost seems impossible at this point.
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

Cornelius1047
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Cornelius1047 » Nov 7th 2002, 5:34 am

yeah, cuz it seems like AU would be the kind of nice folks to give me my money back and agree to such a thing. :? i really do dislike this company. even if i was able to get them to credit me back, they would still expect me to pay for shipping, no? it's UPS, i can't just write "return to sender" on that mofo, right?

K

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Nov 7th 2002, 5:39 am

Yeah, you can refuse it. Is it UPS or USPS? I definitely know that if it is UPS you can refuse it if you are there when the deliver guy drops it off, and you may be able to take it to a UPS dropoff point, and say it was an unsolicited shipment, and you're refusing it. They should take it back. But then you wouldn't have you set, and you wouldn't have your money.

I'd say your best bet is to just hang onto the thing, and see if AU does anything about the money.

Oh, and definitely file with the fbi site everyone is filing with. Also with the BBB and anyone else you can think of to send it off to. At least that way you can have the satisfaction of making sure the authorities know about this, even though you've given AU the money for the set.

Cornelius1047
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Cornelius1047 » Nov 7th 2002, 6:01 am

it's definitely UPS. i went to the site and found out it's on its way here. i think i'll definitely try and do something about getting it back to them and getting my money back (ha!), eventhough i'll be incredibly tempted to open it up and lose sleep watching "my" precious MSCL DVDs.

K

So-Called Loon
Angela's best friend

Post by So-Called Loon » Nov 7th 2002, 6:33 am

Cornelius1047 wrote:Stupid admission #2: I used a check card. I had no choice, since the only other credit card I have is already "off limits". It's not the same process disputing with your bank this way, right? And even if it was, I would need statements from MONTHS ago that I simply do not have at my disposal. They're not totally gone, but they would take days of sifting to get through. :oops:
I'm not so sure. I ordered with a check/debit card and just a few days ago my bank said there was some type of complaint form i could fill out to have the charge investigated. :)

Down side was that i would have to give them the card to be destroyed and then wait for them to send me a new one.
Been a member since sometime BR (before Ross)

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Nov 7th 2002, 9:12 am

Oh man. I don't know what advice to give, but I know that MANY who cancelled are gonna be getting this set, especially since there are about 60 unread cancellations in the queue.

Cornelius1047
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Cornelius1047 » Nov 7th 2002, 1:19 pm

Damn, this is so retarded, since I KNOW someone (Mike, I think) read and processed my request. What are they now just gonna sit around and pretend it never happened? "Hey, we've already got this kid's money, surely he'll leave us alone once he's got the set. He'll be too distracted by the shiny happy discs. Cheers!"

This isn't right. :evil:

K
Last edited by Cornelius1047 on Nov 8th 2002, 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

pennylanedepp
Tino

Post by pennylanedepp » Nov 7th 2002, 1:30 pm

Hey everyone. I have been reading in this forum for quite some time now and this is my first time to post. I ordered my set back in May and after months of disappointment from AU, In October I sent Ross an Email telling him that I wanted to cancel my order. Of course he didn't respond to my email, nor did I get credited back to my credit card, but now that they are shipping I don't want to cancel my order. I havn't recieved an email stating that they have been shipped, so I don't know if I will recieve the set or be screwed out of $115. :x This whole process has been so frustrating, though I am one of the lucky ones who didn't get double or even triple charged.

So-Called Loon
Angela's best friend

Post by So-Called Loon » Nov 7th 2002, 7:55 pm

pennylanedepp wrote:..., In October I sent Ross an Email telling him that I wanted to cancel my order. Of course he didn't respond to my email, nor did I get credited back to my credit card, but now that they are shipping I don't want to cancel my order.
I was in exactly the same situation except that i was overcharged $115. Emailed Ross about cancelling and the refund but haven't been able to get word on whether it was cancelled. I guess not since... well, see below. I kiinda want to see if the other stuff shows up. :) Then, as long as i'm refunded the other money, i'd like AU to go away and die. :x
Been a member since sometime BR (before Ross)

phelix
Yearbook Team

Post by phelix » Nov 7th 2002, 9:37 pm

Cornelius1047 wrote:Damn, this is so retarded, since I KNOW someone (Mike, I think) read and processed my request. What are they now just gonna sit around and pretend it never happened?
We know for past experience that the only way to truly cancel an order is to call AU. Mike just goes though the drygrass site once in a while and marks everything as processed when in fact nothing has been done.
"Hey, we've already go this kid's money, surely he'll leave alone once he's got the set. He'll be too distracted by the shiny happy discs. Cheers!"
Many have predicted AU will do exactly that. They have no cash and a bunch of discs that nobody will buy now.