Now here's an idea...

This forum has been closed and archived. No further postings allowed. Read-only access. For more informations read this announcement.
Minerwerks
Nicky Driscoll

Now here's an idea...

Post by Minerwerks » Nov 7th 2002, 2:57 am

I saw the Michael Moore flick "Bowling For Columbine" today, and I was thinking... maybe we should sic Moore on Another Universe!

In the film, Moore takes a couple of the kids who were victims of the shootings at Columbine to KMart headquarters. With some extra media attention, the trio successfully convinced KMart to discontinue the sale of firearm ammunition.
= Derek =

justjill
Tino

Post by justjill » Nov 7th 2002, 3:15 am

I just saw "Bowling for Columbine" myself and I think you've arrived at an ingenious idea!!

Michael Moore could take care of these bastards once and for all! :lol:

Leslie
Nicky Driscoll

Post by Leslie » Nov 7th 2002, 1:08 pm

I think it is a fabulous idea, but don't you think this thing is probably not big enough for Moore to touch??? It would be awesome if he or someone else like him would get involved in making Ross life a permanent nightmare :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Nov 7th 2002, 1:12 pm

I recommend contacting "7 on your side" in Northern Cali:

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/news/7oys/email_7oys.html

Perhaps if enough people tell them the deal, they will see fit to follow up. It is even an ABC show! :P

brainysmurf
Liberty High Student

Post by brainysmurf » Nov 7th 2002, 1:15 pm

Jason Rosenfeld wrote:I recommend contacting "7 on your side" in Northern Cali:

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/news/7oys/email_7oys.html

Perhaps if enough people tell them the deal, they will see fit to follow up. It is even an ABC show! :P
Also, check out CALL 3, the consumer advocacy branch of the local ABC affiliate. This channel broadcasts to like a 100 mile radius and is VERY popular. They investigate almost everything that they hear of, here's the link... http://www.thekcrachannel.com/call3/?z=nav

Minerwerks
Nicky Driscoll

Post by Minerwerks » Nov 7th 2002, 1:32 pm

http://www.troubleshooter.com.

Nationally syndicated radio consumer advocate radio program
= Derek =

neal
Jody Barsh

Re: Now here's an idea...

Post by neal » Nov 7th 2002, 1:58 pm

Minerwerks wrote:I saw the Michael Moore flick "Bowling For Columbine" today, and I was thinking... maybe we should sic Moore on Another Universe!
I know Minerwerks is not comparing Columbine to our situation, but I just want to make sure that we all do not act as though something as evil as Columbine happened to us. In the end we have been lied to and lost some money. A far cry from permanent bodily harm. I feel that we can exert enough pressure through our credit card companies and other avenues before trying to ask for MMs assistance. I would much rather see some of the DC metro sniper victims get some aid through MM. Just a thought.
No one should hate... who they are.

Howard
Yearbook Team

Post by Howard » Nov 7th 2002, 2:11 pm

Hey Derek --

Since AU is largely relegated to comics, how about pulling in your View Askew cohort, Michael Doran, over at Newsarama? That way we could address in one spot not only the MSCL related issues, but the AU contractors and TheComicStore freelancers who have all been left in the lurch as well?

Howard

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Nov 7th 2002, 2:20 pm

neal wrote:I know Minerwerks is not comparing Columbine to our situation, but I just want to make sure that we all do not act as though something as evil as Columbine happened to us.
Well not to sound like a complete dick, it's more evil (atleast within my own reality-construct) because i am personally involved in the matter. There is nothing special with Columbine, it wasnt the first and it wasnt the last, school shootings happen. It just happened to become the media's bitch for a month.

But Michael Moore wouldnt be interested in this at all most likely. Because like you said its nothing big. And it didnt happen in Flint, Michigan. :wink:

Walks away humming "I Don't Like Mondays" by the Boomtown Rats...a cookie goes to the person who gets the relevance...

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Nov 7th 2002, 2:50 pm

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with Fnordboy's post but you might want to take cover after those comments bro. I hope this post doesn't turn ugly.

Fnordboy wrote: There is nothing special with Columbine, it wasnt the first and it wasnt the last, school shootings happen. It just happened to become the media's bitch for a month.
Last edited by K-man on Nov 7th 2002, 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

pgh kenny
Angelica

Post by pgh kenny » Nov 7th 2002, 3:02 pm

neal wrote:
Minerwerks wrote:I saw the Michael Moore flick "Bowling For Columbine" today, and I was thinking... maybe we should sic Moore on Another Universe!
I know Minerwerks is not comparing Columbine to our situation, but I just want to make sure that we all do not act as though something as evil as Columbine happened to us.
MM and for that matter much of the media are compensated to report on others people suffering. Movie theaters are making money off of the latest MM movie which has footage from columbine. To me that is the tragedy. I think Minerwerks suggested MM because he is an advocate of the small person versus corporate america. BTW, I thought the MM Bowling... documentary was really interesting. And to get Kmart to change its practices... amazing.

I could see it now, MM driving up to the anotheruniverse.com warehouse dropping off all of the 3,800 discarded credit cards customers had to cancel because au.com wouldn't stop rebilling them.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Nov 7th 2002, 3:06 pm

pgh_kenny wrote:MM and for that matter much of the media are compensated to report on others people suffering. Movie theaters are making money off of the latest MM movie which has footage from columbine. To me that is the tragedy. I think Minerwerks suggested MM because he is an advocate of the small person versus corporate america.
I completely agree. Don't get me wrong i enjoy MMs movies, show, etc. but he is getting money out of the deal and big corps are getting more money out of the deals. So in all actuality though he may be opening peoples eyes to one problem, another one is manifesting in the background.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Nov 7th 2002, 3:15 pm

K-man wrote:I'm not saying I agree or disagree with Fnordboy's post but you might want to take cover after those comments bro. I hope this post doesn't turn ugly.
I was going to edit out my post, but you know what, i say nothing wrong in it.

Saying my own problem(s) effect me more than someone else's problem(s) is truth.

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Nov 7th 2002, 3:59 pm

Fair enough.
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

Minerwerks
Nicky Driscoll

Post by Minerwerks » Nov 7th 2002, 8:42 pm

I have to apologize if anyone thought I was comparing our situation to Columbine. I wasn't seriously considering Michael Moore would be willing to help in the Another Universe situation, I just mentioned him because of his way of bringing attention to issues. Yes, he does tend to take on more political causes, but he is very much against companies and corporations that cheat people. My comment was kind of a jest by exaggeration.
And it didnt happen in Flint, Michigan.
C'mon, isn't there anyone who ordered a set from Flint? Speak up! :D
Walks away humming "I Don't Like Mondays" by the Boomtown Rats...a cookie goes to the person who gets the relevance...
It would show that school shootings are nothing new, since the song came out in 1979. Now where's my cookie? :) (I'd rather have a bonus disc, though)

By the way, I didn't want to start any commentary on guns, violence or school shootings. Or even politics. I'm only bringing up Michael Moore for consumer advocacy reasons. If one wanted to investigate Moore's eneavours in this arena, I would suggest his series "The Awful Truth," available on DVD.
= Derek =