Consider NOT doing a marathon

This forum has been closed and archived. No further postings allowed. Read-only access. For more informations read this announcement.
GreatAlfredini
Frozen Embryo

Consider NOT doing a marathon

Post by GreatAlfredini » Nov 6th 2002, 3:00 pm

For someone who's been there since the beginning, I have seen MSCL only a few times, maybe three. That's on purpose. Now that the DVDs are arriving, the temptation to have a marathon is there.

It's because I did a marathon once. I hope sharing my experience is useful. What I realized happened to me when doing a marathon, I would become desensitized to the most subtle moments of MSCL, just because there was so much of it.

What I intend to do is get a friend to watch it with me, maybe two episodes, maybe one or two nights a week. She remembers seeing it and loving it during its original run - but she wasn't in a mailing list like we Olde Tymers, so she didn't have the benefit of deconstructing every bit of it, and finding ten times more there than one person alone can see.

But anyway may I suggest marathons are ok for lighter fare like, say, The Real World (MUCH lighter). MSCL, consumed in gourmet doses, gave me a richer experience.

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Re: Consider NOT doing a marathon

Post by Jason R » Nov 6th 2002, 3:03 pm

Good suggestion. I did a marathon only because I had no choice and had to get the checkdiscs back to BMG the next day. It really is kind of heavy to absorb so quickly.

Whatever you do, be sure your chair has a good cushion and good lumbar support! :shock:
GreatAlfredini wrote:For someone who's been there since the beginning, I have seen MSCL only a few times, maybe three. That's on purpose. Now that the DVDs are arriving, the temptation to have a marathon is there.

It's because I did a marathon once. I hope sharing my experience is useful. What I realized happened to me when doing a marathon, I would become desensitized to the most subtle moments of MSCL, just because there was so much of it.

What I intend to do is get a friend to watch it with me, maybe two episodes, maybe one or two nights a week. She remembers seeing it and loving it during its original run - but she wasn't in a mailing list like we Olde Tymers, so she didn't have the benefit of deconstructing every bit of it, and finding ten times more there than one person alone can see.

But anyway may I suggest marathons are ok for lighter fare like, say, The Real World (MUCH lighter). MSCL, consumed in gourmet doses, gave me a richer experience.

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Nov 6th 2002, 3:10 pm

Sensible advice it seems. I was kinda leery of a marathon since I usually take in at least one ep a week from VHS. Maybe one ep every 2-3 weeks. And I am in the middle of taking in another show on VHS I haven't seen in two years so I am afraid the marathon will have to wait. BUT....if the winter brings a nasty blizzard or two, said marathon may well be in the works.
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 8th 2002, 8:42 pm

Another great time for a marathon: Christmas break. After all the shopping. After catching up with family and friends. When the frenzied holiday season is over, open up that first DVD case. I'm talking when you are going stir crazy and it's cold outside and you can't fathom dragging yourself outside, but the thought of watching the Celine Dion special with your mom is equally horrific. Throw a log on the fire, make some hot chocolate, wrap a blanket around yourself, the works. Even then, I think 4-6 episodes per night, max.

:D

Cap'n Fool
Nicky Driscoll

Re: Consider NOT doing a marathon

Post by Cap'n Fool » Nov 8th 2002, 9:04 pm

GreatAlfredini wrote:<snip>

MSCL, consumed in gourmet doses, gave me a richer experience.
Absolutely. I had originally planned to watch the discs in their original seasonal timeframe, one show per week, on Thursday nights even! But as the delays cut into the fall season, I've had to revise this plan. I cancelled w/AU and ordered from Amazon, so I'm not due to receive them until Nov. 22. I'll probably watch one episode each night as often as possible until I'm back in synch with the original schedule, which should happen right around Christmas.

Finally, another Christmas with Juliana Hatfield! A shiver and a sigh...

Cap'n Fool (now playing: "Only Everything")

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 10th 2002, 12:36 am

I finally ripped the plastic off last night but then I was faced with a dilemma - which episode to watch first? Start at the beginning? Pick a favorite episode? Eek, so many choices!

It was kind of late but I was dying to see at least one episode, and I considered watching the pilot but...I ended up watching "Life of Brian."

Why? I can't explain it. It was almost at the midpoint of the series, there was a little bit of everyone in the episode, and the characters were established enough that I could enjoy each person's storyline and issues. I think I also wanted to go to bed having watched an episode with some hope at the end. Despite the fact that Brian and Angela are left standing next to each other, lost in their own thoughts, it seems like a hopeful ending to me. Plus I love seeing Delia laughing as she dances with Rickie.

The next episode I watched was "The Zit" because it was the one episode that I didn't have on tape. It's such a great episode - it really captures how self-critical we all are. And Angela crying, "I'm ugly!" to Patty - just breaks my heart every time.

Sooo now that I have fessed up - what episode did everyone else start with?

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Nov 10th 2002, 4:29 am

Call me a square, but I started with... <drumroll> ... the pilot! Guess I'm a sucker for unidirectional timelines.

That was yesterday; today my best friend and I watched Halloween at his place, making sure to grunt extra loud when Rayanne was shaving her legs. For some reason my friend's wife didn't appreciate this, though I don't see how she can complain as she made it quite clear what she'd do with Jordan if she ever got the chance. :wink:

I'll probably watch the rest of the series in order from Dancing In The Dark. I might get my friends to watch Life Of Brian, as they're both Monty Python fans.

Al-ways look on the briiight siiide of life! Dee doo, dee doo dee doo dee doo!
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

sid_barrett
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by sid_barrett » Nov 11th 2002, 1:15 am

Nostradamus wrote:Call me a square, but I started with... <drumroll> ... the pilot! Guess I'm a sucker for unidirectional timelines.

Al-ways look on the briiight siiide of life! Dee doo, dee doo dee doo dee doo!
:lol:

ill join the ranks. rgot to watch it from the begining. after that , then ill probably skip around.
"...and I said ' oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, what a feeling'"

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Nov 11th 2002, 10:35 am

I plan on watching it from the beginning so that I can get my husband into it. We will probably watch one or two episodes a night. It will have to take precedent over Band Of Brothers, which we just received on Saturday. What a beautiful boxset, with tons of extras. We watched Part One and Two last night. What a great series.

Anyway, still can't wait to get my MSCL set!!
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

theandygrant
Nicky Driscoll

Post by theandygrant » Nov 11th 2002, 11:36 am

Nostradamus wrote:Call me a square, but I started with... <drumroll> ... the pilot! Guess I'm a sucker for unidirectional timelines.
Yeah, if I wanted to watch the episodes in a random order....

...I'd get the VHS Boxsets out :lol:

Andy

GordLacey
TVShowsOnDVD.com

Post by GordLacey » Nov 11th 2002, 12:09 pm

Megs wrote:It will have to take precedent over Band Of Brothers, which we just received on Saturday. What a beautiful boxset, with tons of extras. We watched Part One and Two last night. What a great series.
I LOVED Band of Brothers! The audio is simply amazing. I spent last Saturday on the couch for 7 hours watching the last 4 episodes and all the extras so I could write my review. Great set!

Gord

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Nov 11th 2002, 2:48 pm

GordLacey wrote:
Megs wrote:It will have to take precedent over Band Of Brothers, which we just received on Saturday. What a beautiful boxset, with tons of extras. We watched Part One and Two last night. What a great series.
I LOVED Band of Brothers! The audio is simply amazing. I spent last Saturday on the couch for 7 hours watching the last 4 episodes and all the extras so I could write my review. Great set!

Gord
Hey, Gord! It is an excellent boxset. Did you check out the Field Guide? Maps, summaries of all the soldiers, timelines, etc. It is awesome. HBO really put togethr a fine boxset.

I told my husband that after looking at BoB and seeing how well put-together and extensive the boxset was, that I would be that much more disappointed to see my MSCL boxset. :cry: But it will be great to see the episodes, it would be cool to have the bonus disk.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

pgh kenny
Angelica

Post by pgh kenny » Nov 11th 2002, 8:52 pm

I once tried to do a marathon with my mscl vhs set... i invited a bunch of people over. We only made it through about 8 episodes... and by the 8th episode we were throwing stuff at each other and doing everything except watching the tv. When I get my set, I'll watch Life of Brian First and then the final episode. I'll save the pilot for last, since it is my least favorite.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 11th 2002, 9:07 pm

pgh_kenny wrote:When I get my set, I'll watch Life of Brian First and then the final episode.
Yay, finally someone else who wants to watch Life of Brian first!

I haven't watched the last episode yet because I feel like I should watch all of disc 4 first (Self Esteem, Pressure, On the Wagon, and So-Called Angels) first. Okay, I'll probably end up watching Resolutions and Betrayal next, and then skipping over Weekend straight to The Finale.

I agree that the attention span does tend to wander after a few episodes. When I watched three episodes in a row of Oz, I was ready to run around the block afterwards. Yes, despite the fact that it was 2am, 50 degrees outside, AND I hate running. I think once your ass gets numb it's time to turn off the tv.