Another bonus disk maybe?

This forum has been closed and archived. No further postings allowed. Read-only access. For more informations read this announcement.
pinkchimney
Overlooked Sibling

Another bonus disk maybe?

Post by pinkchimney » Oct 24th 2002, 4:24 am

Hey Jason or anyone else with an answer/idea.......

I have no confidence that a bonus disk will come out of this whole thing and that's why i cancelled. Is it all a possibility that some other company can take a try at making a bonus disk to completment the box set, independent of the set itself. But done the right way. After reading the moviepoopshoot article and seeing how close we all came to having cast interviews, it makes me upset to see they didn't try their absolute hardest. Maybe something better can come out of it, rather than what AU was going to slap together. "Slap" together being the nice way of putting it. Maybe I am being way too optimistic. I guess I am since I waited until this past sunday to cancel.

If a bonus disk is what the fans really want, then i am sure if there is a slight possibility the mscl fans can make it happen.

c

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Re: Another bonus disk maybe?

Post by Jason R » Oct 24th 2002, 7:45 am

I think this is a great idea. Some of the members of this site should write to the company that shot the footage.

If they still have not been paid by AU, then the footage is theirs by law. You can then try to clear the material through Bedford Falls, who did it for free, just so the fans could have access to it. Not so some company can mark up the box set by $50-$70 or to force people to put up with the worst customer service ever.

They believed AU was the only source. I am sure they would interested in learning that it is now available everywhere else without the bonus for 1/2 the price. So much for free bonuses!

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Oct 24th 2002, 8:55 am

Some of the members of this site should write to the company that shot the footage
What's the name of the company? I'll write.

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Oct 24th 2002, 9:04 am

grafik.com

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Oct 24th 2002, 9:22 am

So I wrote to them. I just used the info address and explained the situation. I directed them here...

Hopefully I'll get something back via email...

:)

http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Oct 24th 2002, 9:37 am

At the very least, perhaps you should contact Bedford Falls. Perhaps not to stop them from granting the footage to AU (remember, the release had not been signed), but to require AU to also "donate" 5,000 or so copies of the interview on DVD for the fans. Those could then be sold at the cost of replication, just to get them out there.

Debs
Liberty High Student

Post by Debs » Oct 24th 2002, 9:53 am

I just contacted Grafik too. It would be great if we could actually get a bonus disc made. It is worth pursuing.

Jason - do you have an email for Bedford Falls?

Deb x
Mom. Streamers?

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Oct 24th 2002, 9:55 am

I don't want to publish it, but email me.

mephisto
Angela's best friend

Post by mephisto » Oct 24th 2002, 12:27 pm

Jason Rosenfeld wrote:At the very least, perhaps you should contact Bedford Falls. Perhaps not to stop them from granting the footage to AU (remember, the release had not been signed), but to require AU to also "donate" 5,000 or so copies of the interview on DVD for the fans. Those could then be sold at the cost of replication, just to get them out there.
hm, as someone who still is a customer of AU (because of the Bonus DVD) I don't like this at all. Don't get me wrong. I hate AU. But why should I pay almost 100 bucks if I can get the Bonus DVD for 2$ in the end?

I think we should force AU to pay Grafik and to contact Bedford Falls instead of making this deal even worse for the remaining AU customers. I wouldn't mind if the Bonus DVD would be sold seperately (same price as a normal retail DVD) later (and I don't think of 2 weeks after the "exclusive" release)

everyone who cancelled certainly will not agree with me. But when you finally cancelled you decided that hoping for a not-yet-existing Bonus DVD isn't worth sticking with AU. Please do not punish the ones who were dumb enough to accept this risk
The Unofficial AnotherUniverse.com/My So-Called Life DVD-Booklet - Finally available for download!

*** The AU/RR appreciation Site ***

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Oct 24th 2002, 12:34 pm

I agree. Why should you pay such a hefty markup on something that costs $2 to manufacture?

You would still be able to get it, though. Without the artificially inflated price. They didn't have to pay for the interview, so why charge $50 for a free interview and a lunchbox that cost $3.00 to manufacture?

People are not saying "give it to everyone except AU customers." That would hurt people who have already been hurt. I am saying make it available to the masses, as a separate DVD and use the funds to support something like an MSCL convention.

tengrand
Nicky Driscoll

Post by tengrand » Oct 24th 2002, 1:00 pm

mephisto wrote:I think we should force AU to pay Grafik and to contact Bedford Falls instead of making this deal even worse for the remaining AU customers. I wouldn't mind if the Bonus DVD would be sold seperately (same price as a normal retail DVD) later (and I don't think of 2 weeks after the "exclusive" release)
AU is not a good company. From a customer service standpoint and from a business standpoint. They have totally boched this very workable and potentially profitable deal. Imagine had they come through on this deal, so much good will and confidence would have been instilled that we all would be praising AU and surely return as repeat customers. Needless to say this has not happened (in fact, the diametric opposite is the case). I will never do business with AU again, and I would urge anyone to do the same. (i.e. This is the only company I have EVER done business with where I had to cancel a credit card after payment so as to insure against funds being misappropriated - ridiculous).

HOWEVER, I do believe that AU is going to put together the MSCL deal as promised (albeit after inexcusable delay, stress and headache). The discs are coming. The stupid lunch pail is coming. And you know what? The bonus disc is coming too. Much talk of "Fraud" and "negligence" and "breach of contract" has been thrown about these boards... but really none of this has yet occurred. BUT if that bonus disc does not come around... and the representation that it would be included turns out to be false... the very representation that induced us all to buy in the first place... the representation that induced us to pay nearly double what the set alone goes for... then this whole fiasco becomes actionable. And there will be more serious and definite talk of a class-action suit against AU, I assure you. California's consumer protection statutes are actually quite liberal in favor of consumers, and comprehensive.

The fact that AU is still around, doing the things to close this chapter, and attempting to put together new deals tells me that despite the fact that it is a poorly run company, that it has some survival instinct, and will want to avoid the kind of action which will surely result if we DON'T get what we bargained for.

so-called customer
Between Names

Post by so-called customer » Oct 24th 2002, 3:02 pm

I disagree that AU has not perpetrated fraud, since by claiming that payment for this set was required in March to secure the limited extras, then turning around months later and making them available to anyone, they have solicited payment under false pretense. That is fraud.

As for the bonus disc, I think that it would be a good idea to pursue another lunchbox/bonus disc, but not at the extortive prices, and certainly with nothing to do with AU. Jason knows what would be involved in securing a licence from BV for the rights to another box. Given the circumstances, it might be possible - slim- to get BV to agree to a box for those who have ordered the set elsewhere. I do agree that we should ask Bedford Falls to deny permission for the bonus footage, and try to arrange for a more fan friendly release.

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Oct 24th 2002, 3:18 pm

Instead of denying access by AU, Bedford Falls could stipulate that the interview video in its entirety must be made available in raw form, for use on a separate disc.

moviezzz
Overlooked Sibling

Post by moviezzz » Oct 24th 2002, 3:19 pm

so-called customer wrote:I disagree that AU has not perpetrated fraud, since by claiming that payment for this set was required in March to secure the limited extras, then turning around months later and making them available to anyone, they have solicited payment under false pretense. That is fraud.
I don't know about that being fraud. But there is definitely fraud in the fact that they sold it as being the only place to get the DVDs.

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Oct 24th 2002, 3:57 pm

I am really REALLY disappointed that I won't be getting a bonus disc. I was looking forward to it a lot, but being a college student and seeing that the set was cheaper elsewhere, I had to give up on AU (not to mention all the wrong-doings by AU, I did get doublecharged as well). All I know is that if a bonus disc with the interview material and other goodies (MTV stuff, Radio&TV Museum, etc.) is produced and released sometime (NOT by AU, of course), I will jump on that as soon as I hear about it. Here's hoping! :D