Another bonus disk maybe?

This forum has been closed and archived. No further postings allowed. Read-only access. For more informations read this announcement.
ingramje
Nicky Driscoll

Post by ingramje » Oct 24th 2002, 3:59 pm

Not that I am trying to take sides in the matter . . I just want the damn DVD's. :evil: But in BMG's own press release, they too listed the set as being exclusive through Another Universe. I was unable to find the link posted on BMG's page, but here is the URL to the BMG press release http://www.bmg.com/news/archive_general ... 20701.html in their archives. I am assuming that the press release was posted before Ross "allowed" them to make it available via other retailers.

"BMG Special Products previously released a DVD containing episodes 1 through 3 of My So-Called Life. Consumers who purchased the previous release were able to purchase a special set containing episodes 4 through 19 for a special price. The entire nineteen-episode set is available exclusively at http://www.AnotherUniverse.com/mscldvd for $115. Due to international demand, the DVDs have no region coding and will play on any system around the world."

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Oct 24th 2002, 4:01 pm

That was all true at the time it was posted. I suppose a follow-up press release could be posted.

ingramje
Nicky Driscoll

Post by ingramje » Oct 24th 2002, 4:12 pm

Jason Rosenfeld wrote:That was all true at the time it was posted. I suppose a follow-up press release could be posted.
Would be nice if BMG would post a follow-up press release. And include a brief synopsis of the entire "Lifegate" scandal with AU in that follow-up press release. Jason, I think you should write a novel about these experiences.

tengrand
Nicky Driscoll

Post by tengrand » Oct 24th 2002, 4:47 pm

Kristin wrote:I am really REALLY disappointed that I won't be getting a bonus disc.
I know we are talking about AU here, and needless to say their record is pretty flimsy, but I think that we WILL see those bonus discs in time. How much time is open to debate. I base this belief on the money and time AU has invested. It would be extremely uneconomical for AU to go this far (pay for DVDs and lunchboxes... plus all the other stuff which has gone into this effort as can be read in the 2 MPS installments) and not provide its customers with the Bonus disc. Not to mention the risk involved.... a potential lawsuit.

Perhaps I am being too generous in giving AU the benefit of rational business sense or business risk aversion.. but I bet we get that bonus disc.

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Oct 24th 2002, 4:54 pm

Time invested? Perhaps, you could make that argument. However, it was not time spent wisely.

Money invested? Certainly. But not their money.

Yours.

In fact, your time as well.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 24th 2002, 4:57 pm

I believe that AU will eventually produce a bonus disc, but what material will be on it is a huge question. As of now, all of the stuff they mentioned (Museum of Television and Radio, MTV clips, Bedford Falls interviews) is NOT confirmed as paid for. AU never advertised exactly what would be on the bonus disc, so they could slap some stuff together (meaning not the aforementioned stuff that we all got excited about) and send it out without fear of a lawsuit because there was never any guarantee as to what would be on the bonus disc.

pinkchimney
Overlooked Sibling

Post by pinkchimney » Oct 24th 2002, 5:07 pm

candygirl wrote:I believe that AU will eventually produce a bonus disc, but what material will be on it is a huge question. As of now, all of the stuff they mentioned (Museum of Television and Radio, MTV clips, Bedford Falls interviews) is NOT confirmed as paid for. AU never advertised exactly what would be on the bonus disc, so they could slap some stuff together (meaning not the aforementioned stuff that we all got excited about) and send it out without fear of a lawsuit because there was never any guarantee as to what would be on the bonus disc.
Well, I think if they do release a bonus disk (only to avoid a legal issue), it will not be worthy of what MSCL fans deserve. Think about it, On the DVD release, Adam Sandler has more bonus footage for his crap film Little Nicky than actual movie footage. Now would it make any sense for MSCL fans to expect anything less than the best when it comes to bonus footage for a show that was so great?

Let AU put out a Bonus Disk. I still think a separate fan driven bonus disk should be attempted. Cast/Crew interviews, episode guides, extensive photo galleries, trivia, cast bios, fan interviews, MTV stuff, Museum interviews...basically the works.

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Oct 24th 2002, 7:20 pm

tengrand wrote:I know we are talking about AU here, and needless to say their record is pretty flimsy, but I think that we WILL see those bonus discs in time.
I agree that AU will get a bonus disc out and the amount of time on that is debatable, but I just meant I won't be getting a bonus disc because I cancelled with AU and went with Amazon. That's all! I'd love a "fan" bonus disc to come out too.

tuatara
Nicky Driscoll

Post by tuatara » Oct 24th 2002, 8:18 pm

wow, this is really upsetting. it now very much feels like you're (and I certainly don't even mean just, or even primarily, Jason here) trying to punish anyone who's, in your opinions, foolish enough to keep their original order. like, "so, you're gonna stay with AU, huh? well, we'll just see about that! we're gonna take away even the option of you getting the bonus disc! now you'll have to buy it somewhere else and spend even more money! or maybe it'll only be available to people who ordered from any site other than AU! hahaha, that's what you get for trading with the enemy." I hate people. totally hate them. no faith in humanity whatsoever anymore. this show meant so much to me, but I don't even care anymore. it's now become just another source of hurt and frustration in my already thankless life. that's all for me. bye.

kriddyboo
Three Rivers Resident

Post by kriddyboo » Oct 24th 2002, 8:44 pm

WOW, bitter party of one your table is ready...

No one is forcing you to keep your order with AU. Why is it that only people staying with AU should be allowed to get the bonus disc? I was one of the original people that ordered with AU and guaranteed myself a lunchbox and bonus disc, but I cancelled my order because AU was not worthy of my business (yours either). Like I said in another thread, I refuse to fund their dishonesty. No one should have to put up with the horrible customer service they have provided. We ALL deserve better (you included).

I think a fan made bonus disc would be fantastic. Anyone who wants one should be able to get it. Lets not be snobs here people. We all love My So Called Life. We are all big fans. Why shouldn't we all share and partake in an experience we will all enjoy?

"It can't rain all the time"

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 24th 2002, 8:54 pm

I think that the other point people are making with this push for the bonus disc is that it ISN'T worth an extra $50.

Look at it this way - would you pay $50 to buy the disc in a lunchbox at Target? Probably not. So AU shouldn't be pulling that with anyone either.

And if there is a way to get the bonus disc to everyone, then how many people would want to keep their AU order? Not many.

I don't think that anyone is trying to punish people who haven't cancelled with AU - they are trying to offer alternatives to the people who don't want to pay $115.

Like kriddyboo said, we are ALL MSCL fans so why shouldn't all fans be able to purchase a really good bonus disc, regardless of where they purchased their DVD set?

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Oct 24th 2002, 9:17 pm

Hi tuatara,
Please reread my previous posts. I am not saying that AU customers should not get a bonus disc. You DESERVE everything that you paid for. However, perhaps this bonus disc should not be something that is exclusive to AU customers. Or perhaps a different bonus disc should be made for other people who want the material, but in a different configuration.

Bedford Falls filmed the bonus material for the fans, not so that somebody could use it to justify charging a $50 premium over competitors. By allowing other companies to have it, it would exert downward pricing pressure on AnotherUniverse.com, and perhaps force them to offer a better deal to their customers.

And if AU truly did clear the Museum of TV and Radio footage, you'd still have something that is not available elsewhere.

tuatara wrote:wow, this is really upsetting. it now very much feels like you're (and I certainly don't even mean just, or even primarily, Jason here) trying to punish anyone who's, in your opinions, foolish enough to keep their original order. like, "so, you're gonna stay with AU, huh? well, we'll just see about that! we're gonna take away even the option of you getting the bonus disc! now you'll have to buy it somewhere else and spend even more money! or maybe it'll only be available to people who ordered from any site other than AU! hahaha, that's what you get for trading with the enemy." I hate people. totally hate them. no faith in humanity whatsoever anymore. this show meant so much to me, but I don't even care anymore. it's now become just another source of hurt and frustration in my already thankless life. that's all for me. bye.

So-Called Loon
Angela's best friend

Post by So-Called Loon » Oct 25th 2002, 3:10 am

tengrand wrote:Much talk of "Fraud" and "negligence" and "breach of contract" has been thrown about these boards... but really none of this has yet occurred.
:shock: As far as i can gather both here and other sources, a nice little handful of laws have been broken here! Some small scale, and some fairly large scale.

Aside from that, somebody could publish this whole story as the definitive guide on how NOT to do business!

If some authorities step in (as long as we get our money, of course) and AU goes into the toilet, i certainly won't mind being one of the ones that helps to flush it on down.
Been a member since sometime BR (before Ross)

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Oct 25th 2002, 5:15 am

Well, the intention was never to deprive people ordering from AU of what they have paid for and deserve to get. It is certainly not 'oh look at you dimwits for staying at AU you deserve to be shafted even more.' I'm slightly upset that people would assume that to be the case.

It's just that I would like to have the bonus disk too, and I don't mind waiting and paying a small amount for it.

I think it is a crying shame that the choice seems to be sticking with AU and putting up with truly atrocious customer service, or cancelling and not getting the extras. If there is a way that people aren't caught in this catch 22 I'd like to find it.

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

tuatara
Nicky Driscoll

Post by tuatara » Oct 25th 2002, 12:51 pm

well.
I wasn't even planning on replying here ever again, actually. but it seems that my position has been quite misconstrued. I'm not one for ambiguity, so here it goes: I am not at all against making the bonus materials available through other sources. I am firmly in support of that, and that as much material as possible be as widely available to fans as possible. I was repsonding primarily to comments made about preventing AU from even potentially utilizing (whether or not they ever will is not quite the same issue) the resources that exist, such as the Bedford Falls & Museum of Telvision & Radio interviews. I even wrote to the MTR a while back to try to convince them to lower their asking price somewhat to try to increase the chances of that being available to fans. I want everyone to have access to all of that, and preferably even more. but if you convince these groups to not make that material even available to AU any longer while at the same time organizing alternate means of distribution, that is thoroughly unfair. even if another disc was created that included everything that could be on the AU disc plus extra materials, that's fine. but to work to further sabotage the already disastrous experience for AU customers is reprehensible. the idea totally amounts to, "you don't know what's good for you, so you should be taught a lesson." I don't really plan on reading to see if you have responded to this, so keep that in mind. it might not be worth replying to this, as I see it as the last word I have on this subject or any other here. I've appreciated this site enormously and I am certainly amazed by all the work Jason and others have put into the idea of bringing this wonderful program to those that have wished for years to view it again and share it with others. that effort is hugely commendable. however, this is not a place for me anymore, as I no longer feel like I care about any of it, the show or otherwise. I just want to forget about all of this. so long.
Rich