Answering questions you might have.

This forum has been closed and archived. No further postings allowed. Read-only access. For more informations read this announcement.
fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Oct 8th 2002, 6:03 pm

Jason Rosenfeld wrote:Just in case some future clients says "that Jason guy's got a screw loose, he's gonna fly off the handle if we use him," let me say for the record that I am pretty confident that there has never been a company as incompetent as AU.com.
Jason, you have been great to all of us and you have helped me personally with my overcharges. And it is great that you are here sharing with us the things you know that are conveniently left out by others. I think you know already, but just to let you know again, and i think i speak for everyone. Thanks. We are getting this set because of you. And even if this is the most fucked up thing i've been involved with it did show that there is hope for us fans (of anything). Maybe now i wont be so jaded (HA! :lol: )

But I hope that your honesty doesnt turn around and bite you in the ass after all is said and done. In the fans' eyes you are doing the right thing but other companies might not like that aspect of the way you work, and i really hope that doesnt effect your future plans/jobs. I want to see you succeed and i look forward to your next project (as long as AU isnt involved :wink: ).

Hopefully future companies will understand the connection you have with your customers (us), and that you got this through being honest with us. And that if they did half of what you did for us that we would stand behind them just the same.

So again. Thank you, Jason. And good luck.

Lurker1999
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Lurker1999 » Oct 8th 2002, 6:04 pm

Anyone know how many sets Amazon is slated to get? I don't mind waiting as long as I'm guaranteed to get a set of discs if I put an order in. It doesn't have to come with the first batch.

siandam
Jody Barsh

Post by siandam » Oct 8th 2002, 6:07 pm

Jason Rosenfeld wrote:Gord was joking with me today. He said I could write two books about this experience:

1) How to Sell a Niche-Market Product
2) Just write the previous book backwards.
OR maybe you could sell it as a TV show, one that has a rabid fan base, but low ratings, then gets shuffled around a lot, and finally get cancelled.

And the whole process repeats itself...

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Oct 8th 2002, 6:35 pm

Thanks for the kind words. If a potential client disagrees with me, it's kind of too bad, because that is how online marketing is and I cannot change what networked markets are like. One of my favorite books is The Cluetrain Manifesto.

I don't sell products. I sell customers to companies who want to sell their products. I can find willing customers if I have a good reputation. I cannot undo the harm done to my reputation by AU, but I can at least tell you why things are going the way they are.

When I work with other retailers, it will only be after an extremely diligent research stage.
fnordboy wrote:
Jason Rosenfeld wrote:Just in case some future clients says "that Jason guy's got a screw loose, he's gonna fly off the handle if we use him," let me say for the record that I am pretty confident that there has never been a company as incompetent as AU.com.
Jason, you have been great to all of us and you have helped me personally with my overcharges. And it is great that you are here sharing with us the things you know that are conveniently left out by others. I think you know already, but just to let you know again, and i think i speak for everyone. Thanks. We are getting this set because of you. And even if this is the most fucked up thing i've been involved with it did show that there is hope for us fans (of anything). Maybe now i wont be so jaded (HA! :lol: )

But I hope that your honesty doesnt turn around and bite you in the ass after all is said and done. In the fans' eyes you are doing the right thing but other companies might not like that aspect of the way you work, and i really hope that doesnt effect your future plans/jobs. I want to see you succeed and i look forward to your next project (as long as AU isnt involved :wink: ).

Hopefully future companies will understand the connection you have with your customers (us), and that you got this through being honest with us. And that if they did half of what you did for us that we would stand behind them just the same.

So again. Thank you, Jason. And good luck.

GordLacey
TVShowsOnDVD.com

Post by GordLacey » Oct 8th 2002, 6:37 pm

I've been involved in this MSCL for months and months, from the side-lines. I've been standing beside Jason when he's taken calls that make him jump up and down, and I've sat across from him when he's answering customer's emails at Burger King on his PALM. Jason tried EVERYTHING possible to make sure this set got released and he watched out for the fans every step of the way. We went to BMG for a meeting about another product and ended up spending almost 2 hours talking about MSCL. It's easy to look back on this mess and see where it went bad, but while it was unfolding you'd never really know. Hell, I don't know how many times Jason asked me, "Dude...do you think Ross is going to pay me?" and I assured him he would get paid. I feel like a total ass now because Jason did a hell of a lot of work on this set for next to nothing. McDonald's employees make a lot more than he did, but here he is, still posting, still looking out for the customer.

I can honestly say that I haven't seen someone willing to bust their ass with no reward more than Jason. I would have tossed in the towel a long, long time ago. I only hope that this royal fuckup doesn't hurt our ability to do DVD sets in the future, but somehow I think it will. We were supposed to send samples of the MSCL set to other companies we were hoping to work with, but here we are months later with nothing to show them.

Oh well...s**t happens.

Gord
P.S. No idea what the real point of this post was.

jenrose
Tino

worried about cancelling my order

Post by jenrose » Oct 8th 2002, 6:41 pm

hi everyone. i've been reading the board for a while but this is my first post. i pre ordered the dvd as soon as i received the email saying it was available. i was never worried about not getting my order ( i was kind of naive i guess). i was also, luckily, never charged extra for my order. i guess the only problem i've had, which is really a big problem, is the fact that i don't have my dvds. and after reading these posts, i think the bonus material and lunch box will be really bad.

so i would like to cancel my order and go with amazon. (i'm a poor college student who just moved in with my boyfriend, i need the cash). however, i'm worried that i will never get my money refunded and since it has been close to a year, i don't see how i could be assured that i get my money back since that original 100 has long since been paid.

if i cancel my order are they legally obligated to give refunds? it seems like they are since everyone keeps saying they will cancel their orders...but will i actually see my money. are there avenues that can be pursured to get my money back if i have trouble after cancelling my order?

thanks,
jen

Fedup
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Fedup » Oct 8th 2002, 6:57 pm

GordLacey wrote:I've been involved in this MSCL for months and months, from the side-lines. I've been standing beside Jason when he's taken calls that make him jump up and down, and I've sat across from him when he's answering customer's emails at Burger King on his PALM. Jason tried EVERYTHING possible to make sure this set got released and he watched out for the fans every step of the way. We went to BMG for a meeting about another product and ended up spending almost 2 hours talking about MSCL. It's easy to look back on this mess and see where it went bad, but while it was unfolding you'd never really know. Hell, I don't know how many times Jason asked me, "Dude...do you think Ross is going to pay me?" and I assured him he would get paid. I feel like a total ass now because Jason did a hell of a lot of work on this set for next to nothing. McDonald's employees make a lot more than he did, but here he is, still posting, still looking out for the customer.

I can honestly say that I haven't seen someone willing to bust their ass with no reward more than Jason. I would have tossed in the towel a long, long time ago. I only hope that this royal fuckup doesn't hurt our ability to do DVD sets in the future, but somehow I think it will. We were supposed to send samples of the MSCL set to other companies we were hoping to work with, but here we are months later with nothing to show them.

Oh well...s**t happens.

Gord
P.S. No idea what the real point of this post was.
Gord and Jason, I hope the exact opposite happens, and if the goodwill that you guys have generated on this board is any indication, it looks like you guys have an installed fan base already and bright future. I personally can say that I'd be interested in any future products you're involved with (unless of course AU is involved in some way). Maybe you guys can start collecting email addresses from people here who are interested in your future endevours.

quagmire
Tino

Post by quagmire » Oct 8th 2002, 8:01 pm

I just want to thank Jason for laying it all out on the table without any BS. Too often these days, information gets put through a PR filter before we hear it, so it's refreshing to see things come out nice and raw.

While I was going through my e-mail records to get the required details for cancelling my AU order, I noticed an old enquiry I'd made regarding my order. Two e-mails were sent to AU's customer service weeks apart, and neither had received a reply weeks later. I finally e-mailed Jason about the order and received a reply the same day, which took care of my problem. I do wonder whether Jason was compensated for doing AU's job for them.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Madness pure madness

Post by lance » Oct 9th 2002, 12:39 am

Hey,

Jason and Gord just wanted to echo thanks already expressed on this thread for all of your hard work on the MSCL Project, you guys rock! :D I really appreciate your honesty Jason in letting us know what the hell is going on. Do you feel a little better now that you have gotten it off your chest? I hope so.

I am cancelling my order with AU and going with amazon. I am very, very tired of waiting and hearing about how badly AU can screw things up. I would appreciate it if you and Gord would keep me and others updated on your upcoming projects. You have certianly proven yourself as a dedicated, honest advocate for the fans. Let me know what you are sellling next so I can sign up.

All the best,

Lance Man

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Oct 9th 2002, 10:52 am

Thanks for the kinds words. I apologize for "spitting bile" in some of these posts, but I stand by everything I say and swear on a stack of MSCL DVDs.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Oct 9th 2002, 11:42 am

Jason Rosenfeld wrote:Thanks for the kinds words. I apologize for "spitting bile" in some of these posts, but I stand by everything I say and swear on a stack of MSCL DVDs.
So now the truth comes out! Jason has been hoarding the sets all along!!! :twisted: :wink:

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Oct 9th 2002, 11:58 am

I would just like to take this opportunity to invite Ross Rojek to respond personally to some of what I posted here.

I don't view it as a flame war. I view it as "I said some serious s**t and he should respond and, if possible, prove me to be a liar." Holy s**t do I hope I am wrong. I want to be wrong.

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Oct 9th 2002, 1:54 pm

My offer still stands.

StrawberryGirl
Three Rivers Resident

Post by StrawberryGirl » Oct 9th 2002, 2:09 pm

I think we would all love for Ross to come on here and tell you that you're wrong Jason. But my gut feeling? He can't, because you're not. :(

And now, Jason, for another question- If they are still finalizing material for the bonus disc, where does that put actual production of the discs and shipping? I'm not asking for a date here really, just an idea of what turn around time is on something like this. I'm not sure of the process, but it doesn't seem to me that they could finalize what they'll be putting on the dvd, and start producing them immediately. The fact that they are still unsure what material they're putting on the disc makes me feel pretty certain I won't be seeing it for a good long while. Am I way off on this? Thanks Jason.

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Oct 9th 2002, 2:35 pm

I don't know what material has been cleared for the bonus disc. If the Museum of TV and Radio material was cleared, one way that I think that Ross can calm people down is to provide proof.