Answering questions you might have.

This forum has been closed and archived. No further postings allowed. Read-only access. For more informations read this announcement.
Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Oct 7th 2002, 8:19 am

My cryptic answer: Sometimes, whether you owe a balance to someone or not, it does not hurt to at least return their phone calls or emails.

I would imagine that the strike will cause a delay. It is my humble opinion that the lunchboxes could have and should have been done and shipped to AU by now.
pgh_kenny wrote:i think you already covertly answered this question in this thread, but i just want to explicitly ask...

has anotheruniverse made payments to the vendor for the lunchboxes? are there others anotheruniverse owes money to?. nonpayment is the only thing I could imagine would hold up production. if printing is done, it is too late to change specifications so it can't be that. since we all prepaid, Jason please put our mind to rest that to the best of your knowledge, anotheruniverse is meeting it's obligations on this project. feel free to answer cryptically.

do you think a protracted strike at the west coast ports would affect delivery of the lunchboxes assuming production was completed soon?
Last edited by Jason R on Oct 7th 2002, 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Oct 7th 2002, 8:22 am

Well, let's put everything in perspective.

BMG won't be able to release the set. Disney will have the rights to release it, however. N.B.: I sincerely doubt that Disney would have been releasing shows such as SportsNight if BMG was not doing MSCL. Ultimately, it's a chicken and egg thing.
pgh_kenny wrote:
Jason Rosenfeld wrote:(the rights expire in under a year, and there is only one Xmas season in which to sell the set, before it disappears).
Does this mean that the set will never be released again after the rights expire?

MovieMac
Liberty High Student

Post by MovieMac » Oct 7th 2002, 8:53 am

Jason Rosenfeld wrote:Actually, AU realized that the set was going to be available elsewhere, so they decided to give the lunchbox to everyone who ordered from them. THey were going to put different handles on the first 2,500 and the remaining 2,000-2,500 to differentiate the pre-orders from later orders.

This is actually a good thing, however the lunchboxes are still not done. They are printed but not stamped out and I feel that AU.com is to blame for this status.
I'm sorry. We're probably turning in circles here since there is no new information by AU, but: The only possibilty imaganable holding up the shipping of the lunch boxes is a non-payment of AU to the manufacturer of the lunch boxes!?

It's not like those boxes are being hand-made or anything. They're produced by a "modern technology" :roll: stamping plant and I'm pretty sure that such plants can put out thousands of boxes per day.

Also of concern. If I remember correctly, somebody from AU said on this forum, that shipping from Hongkong to the US could take up to 6 weeks. :?: Are they going to be shipped by a sail boat or what?

Another question for Jason (or anybody from AU, if they have the guts to answer again): Is AU holding back discs as replacements for possibly damaged or lost discs from the first shipment. I know that they ordered a thousand sets more than they had orders for (that's what they needed they overcharges for, probably), but are they willing to use those as replacements if any product arrives damaged at its destination? For a "normal" product that wouldn't be such a big concern, but since this still is a pretty limited product (no matter what the final numbers are), there should be some kind of a reserve, so everybody will definitely receive a (technically) perfect product.

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Oct 7th 2002, 9:03 am

About a month on a container ship, plus time at US Customs. A container of empty lunchboxes could be viewed as suspicious cargo.

I would imagine that BMG would be responsible for defective discs.

MovieMac wrote:
Jason Rosenfeld wrote:Actually, AU realized that the set was going to be available elsewhere, so they decided to give the lunchbox to everyone who ordered from them. THey were going to put different handles on the first 2,500 and the remaining 2,000-2,500 to differentiate the pre-orders from later orders.

This is actually a good thing, however the lunchboxes are still not done. They are printed but not stamped out and I feel that AU.com is to blame for this status.
I'm sorry. We're probably turning in circles here since there is no new information by AU, but: The only possibilty imaganable holding up the shipping of the lunch boxes is a non-payment of AU to the manufacturer of the lunch boxes!?

It's not like those boxes are being hand-made or anything. They're produced by a "modern technology" :roll: stamping plant and I'm pretty sure that such plants can put out thousands of boxes per day.

Also of concern. If I remember correctly, somebody from AU said on this forum, that shipping from Hongkong to the US could take up to 6 weeks. :?: Are they going to be shipped by a sail boat or what?

Another question for Jason (or anybody from AU, if they have the guts to answer again): Is AU holding back discs as replacements for possibly damaged or lost discs from the first shipment. I know that they ordered a thousand sets more than they had orders for (that's what they needed they overcharges for, probably), but are they willing to use those as replacements if any product arrives damaged at its destination? For a "normal" product that wouldn't be such a big concern, but since this still is a pretty limited product (no matter what the final numbers are), there should be some kind of a reserve, so everybody will definitely receive a (technically) perfect product.

LetsBolt
Three Rivers Resident

Post by LetsBolt » Oct 7th 2002, 9:41 am

are they negotiating to lower our prices for our sets?

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Oct 7th 2002, 9:43 am

Negotiating? I don't know why they would negotiate with themselves. It is up to them to lower their price. I know they were considering giving a gift certificate for use at AU.com. I don't think that most people would use it.

They also mentioned a t-shirt, but they cannot clear the rights for a MSCL t-shirt, so I would imagine it would be an AU.com t-shirt. I think they should give away the MSCL t-shirt that they sold for free (they can buy finished goods for this).

MovieMac
Liberty High Student

Post by MovieMac » Oct 7th 2002, 9:47 am

Jason Rosenfeld wrote: I would imagine that BMG would be responsible for defective discs.
Even if they are damaged during shipping from AU to the customers? I don't mean authoring errors, but scratched discs because of loose packaging etc.

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Oct 7th 2002, 9:49 am

it would damage the DVD cases not the discs. These are shipping in standard DVD cases. Unless a spike was driven through the package, I cannot see how this would happen. (I wouldn't put it past AU to use pitchforks to unload the trucks, however).
MovieMac wrote:
Jason Rosenfeld wrote: I would imagine that BMG would be responsible for defective discs.
Even if they are damaged during shipping from AU to the customers? I don't mean authoring errors, but scratched discs because of loose packaging etc.

pgh kenny
Angelica

Post by pgh kenny » Oct 7th 2002, 10:38 am

Jason Rosenfeld wrote:My cryptic answer: Sometimes, whether you owe a balance to someone or not, it does not hurt to at least return their phone calls or emails.
Well if it is any consolation, I am sure you could find a way to trade in the beer some of us will be sending you for cash.

MovieMac
Liberty High Student

Post by MovieMac » Oct 7th 2002, 10:40 am

Jason Rosenfeld wrote:it would damage the DVD cases not the discs. These are shipping in standard DVD cases. Unless a spike was driven through the package, I cannot see how this would happen. (I wouldn't put it past AU to use pitchforks to unload the trucks, however).
I have got about 200 dvds on my shelf, 3/4 of those bought online. You wouldn't believe how many packages arrived with the discs not being on their protective trays anymore. I know this isn't a vampire series so a spike is unlikely, but scratches because of the discs floating around in the amaray can be a pain in the a**. Fortunately by now I only had to return 2 discs, because they wouldn't play fine (because of scratches), but you never know. And I don't think BMG is going to press another say 100 discs just because some discs were damaged during shipping to the customer, which they aren't responsible for after all. So knowing (from AU!?) that their will be a reserve, would make me feel more comfortable.

Jason, thanks again for answering all the questions AU and BMG should answer!

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Oct 7th 2002, 10:59 am

I know what you are talking about. The disc falls off the tray, slides around and gets beat up. I don't know whose fault that would be.

It always irked me that CD cases seem to be made of harder plastic than CDs. Why can't they make soft DVD and CD cases that don't scratch the discs when they don't land evenly in the case?
MovieMac wrote:
Jason Rosenfeld wrote:it would damage the DVD cases not the discs. These are shipping in standard DVD cases. Unless a spike was driven through the package, I cannot see how this would happen. (I wouldn't put it past AU to use pitchforks to unload the trucks, however).
I have got about 200 dvds on my shelf, 3/4 of those bought online. You wouldn't believe how many packages arrived with the discs not being on their protective trays anymore. I know this isn't a vampire series so a spike is unlikely, but scratches because of the discs floating around in the amaray can be a pain in the a**. Fortunately by now I only had to return 2 discs, because they wouldn't play fine (because of scratches), but you never know. And I don't think BMG is going to press another say 100 discs just because some discs were damaged during shipping to the customer, which they aren't responsible for after all. So knowing (from AU!?) that their will be a reserve, would make me feel more comfortable.

Jason, thanks again for answering all the questions AU and BMG should answer!

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Oct 7th 2002, 11:20 am

MovieMac wrote:I have got about 200 dvds on my shelf, 3/4 of those bought online. You wouldn't believe how many packages arrived with the discs not being on their protective trays anymore. I know this isn't a vampire series so a spike is unlikely, but scratches because of the discs floating around in the amaray can be a pain in the a**.
Yeah my collection is at about 325 dvds and I order online and go to brick and mortars, and i would say about 10% of my collection had a loose disc when i bought it. Though i have found that i've had more problem with that with the discs ive bought from Best Buy stores, and not online.

But boy oh boy is that going to be fun trying to get a replacement from AU if there is a problem.

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Oct 7th 2002, 11:24 am

fnordboy wrote: But boy oh boy is that going to be fun trying to get a replacement from AU if there is a problem.
Are you implying that their customer service record has been less than stellar? :shock:

LetsBolt
Three Rivers Resident

Post by LetsBolt » Oct 7th 2002, 11:38 am

hrmmm....
so basically we really aren't getting much of a deal at all from AU anymore are we?[not thatn we ever really did]. Unless you really believe this bonus dvd and lunch box are OUTSTANDING, which we all pretty much know they arent going to be worth the 40 dollors we're spending for them, even though the lunchbox is *free* ar har har.
This is my first time ever ordering something online, so i really have no idea on how to cancel my order? Do i just contact AU through email or do i call? damn damn damn.
Will people through AU be getting their DVDs before all the other people that ordered at amazon and other retailers? or will it basically be only a week of difference??
just wondering, are you sticking with AU?
Do you think the bonus dvd and such are really worth us staying with AU?
sorry for asking questions that im sure were answered before.

Lancen
Frozen Embryo

just posted this email to Ross

Post by Lancen » Oct 7th 2002, 11:44 am

I won't hold my breath, but hopefully he will respond.

Ross, as you can gather, a large number of user are extremely upset with your company, and it's handling of this title. I need to know by the end of business tomorrow what AU will be doing to allay the fears of those who have sunk a considerable amount of money into this offer.

1) First off, when are you shipping the titles? We need a firm date here. Answering this question with a "soon" does not qualify.

2) What are the features on the bonus disc. We have been told cast and crew interviews, along with the Museum piece. Which cast members? Claire? Wilson, A.J? Who? If the contents are not finalized, why are then not done? The project was supposed to have been shipped BACK IN JUNE originally.

3) What is the hold up on the lunchboxes? We have been told that the boxes have not been finished, again totally unacceptable this far past the original ship date. There is a very nasty rumor going that they have not been finished, due to failure to remit payment. Is this true? If so, how can we trust that they will be delivered at all?

Remember, the ONLY way this could possibly be called an exclusive in the current market is the bonus disc, and the lunchbox. This is why I, and 2500+ others paid in excess of $CAD100 for this title. Failure to deliver these within a reasonable time frame (I am assuming that we will not get them shipped with the rest of the set) constitutes fraud. I am not a lawyer, but I suspect it might fall under the wire fraud act, a federal offence. I suggest a reasonable time frame being 6 weeks after shipping the initial discs.

Lance Nichols

PS, I have not received any communications with your company since June, nor have I ever received my paper/hard copy invoice. Please ensure your records have been updated. Current email address is this account, snail mail is:

Michael Lance Nichols