Confused RE: Amazon Listing

This forum has been closed and archived. No further postings allowed. Read-only access. For more informations read this announcement.
RichD
Tino

Confused RE: Amazon Listing

Post by RichD » Oct 4th 2002, 11:27 am

Okay... Amazon's got the set listed.

Is this for real? Are they actually going to sell this set?

I was under the distinct impression that this set would only be available through AU due to its limited (!) pressing and niche market.

I mean, I'm glad that all the pre-order interest managed to make the DVDs a reality to begin with, but if after all is said and done, they'll be available (for MUCH LESS MONEY, by the way) from Amazon as well (a company that is a heck of a lot easier to deal with than AnotherUniverse, I might add)... well, pardon me if I feel a bit mislead. :)

If this about nitpicks like 'there's no special DVD in the Amazon set' (so far, there isn't one in the AU set either...), or 'no lunchbox' (most folks probably don't care about the lunchbox as much as the DVDs themselves), well... I think I'd just as soon cancel my AU order and pre-order from Amazon. Wait 'til Nov. 5? I've waited ALL YEAR for this so far, another month certainly won't kill me. At this rate, that's when we'll be getting the AU shipments anyhow. ;)

So again, I ask - is the Amazon listing for real?

Thanks for listening. :)

~ Rich

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Oct 4th 2002, 11:47 am

My bet is people who ordered from amazon will get them before us poor schmucks....

socalledfan
Angela's best friend

Post by socalledfan » Oct 4th 2002, 11:50 am

I am with Rich here on being totally confused on this issue now. I haven't posted in this forum much over the past several months...I have tried to steer clear of it and just be patient. I was not overcharged by AU, and I have not been terribly upset...just trying to patiently wait for the DVD set of my most beloved show.

But now, I am troubled by this news.

My frustration has nothing to do with Jason. Nothing at all. I'm just flabbergasted... I would be a lot LESS flabbergasted if we actually had a firm, final shipping date from AU so we didn't feel so up-in-the-air-here.

:?:
"You're sooo beautiful, it HURTS to look at you."

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Oct 4th 2002, 11:56 am

At this point, I have mixed feelings about it being available elsewhere.

On the one hand, the price is insanely close to the wholesale price, which is going to make it hard for anybody to compete (typical Amazon). On the other hand, this puts quite a bit of pressure on AU to finally get these shipped and problems corrected. Monopolists don't have much incentive to be competitive. Look at Ma Bell before the breakup.

LetsBolt
Three Rivers Resident

Post by LetsBolt » Oct 4th 2002, 12:00 pm

well if you have mixed feelings - when can we know if it is for real? :?

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Oct 4th 2002, 12:02 pm

BMG just confirmed it is for real.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Oct 4th 2002, 12:06 pm

For the most part i dont really care that it is available else where, i expected that from the get go. But what is pissing me off is that it will be like at most a week difference by the time we get our discs. And its insanely cheap.

I thought it wasnt going to be availble till after December to other retailers?

Granted i am a dvd whore and i want the better set (ie with bonus disc... and lunchbox if AU wants to try to make me happy <hint, hint>). But the list price is listed as 89.95 on amazon... 25 f***ing dollars cheaper than i paid (+ shipping). Not to forget that they are actually selling it for 20 dollars cheaper than that.

[edited some typos :lol: ]

Fedup
Overlooked Sibling

Ok, now I'm pissed....

Post by Fedup » Oct 4th 2002, 12:08 pm

I think I've actually been pretty patient up until now. I'm probably one of the lucky one, in that I've been overbilled only once, and only for $20 (which I still haven't received). However now this Amazon thing has me pissed off. Obviously BMG (or whoever) has given Amazon a shipping date. WTF has Ross been? He's been totally MIA for the last week, only posting non-information about the status of the discs. AU's service has been horrendous to say the least. I'm seriously thinking about cancelling my order with them. We don't even know what's on the bonus disc! If it has stuff from when it was airing on MTV, BFD. I can save myself $30-$40. I don't need that or the lunchbox. And Ross' attempt to ease things by allowing customers to pre-order *other* products?. You have got to be kidding me.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Hey there might be soem good coming out of this!

Post by fnordboy » Oct 4th 2002, 12:11 pm

Maybe enough people will cancel and this will be the straw that broke AUs back...

Though they would probably just keep charging all our credit cards to float them for a while longer.

RichD
Tino

Hmm.

Post by RichD » Oct 4th 2002, 12:14 pm

Okay, so ...

Is it fair to say, then, at this point that:

AMAZON IS LEGIMATELY SELLING THE BOXED DVD SET?

With that established... what of the limited pressing problem? Is it no longer a limited pressing? And now anyone can get the series on DVD with no worry of not being on a special list, or stock running out (soon, anyhow - ALL things eventually stop being made)?

I think this is also an important point to establish, because I think the last thing we'd want is people jumping ship from AU (something I'm VERY tempted to do at this point), pre-ordering from Amazon and finding out that they (Amazon) don't have enough to fulfill orders, because they only had 10 to sell or some such nonsense. :)

~ Rich

pgh kenny
Angelica

Post by pgh kenny » Oct 4th 2002, 12:15 pm

this is a great development. now with the new round of phone calls to au cancelling orders, it will probably be another three months before i see my credit for the double-charge. :(

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Oct 4th 2002, 12:16 pm

even if it is a limited pressing, i want to know the numbers on this one.

Are talking limited fo 10k pressed. or are we talking limited of 100k pressed?

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Oct 4th 2002, 12:20 pm

pgh_kenny wrote:this is a great development. now with the new round of phone calls to au cancelling orders, it will probably be another three months before i see my credit for the double-charge. :(
Ditto...

I know i for one am sticking with AU (FOR NOW) just because i'm thick headed and clearly a masochist.

Unless new developments come up, like a quadruple charge or amazon will have the bonus, etc.

Its a good thing im at work, otherwise i would be really really freaking out right now.

pgh kenny
Angelica

Post by pgh kenny » Oct 4th 2002, 12:24 pm

fnordboy wrote:
Its a good thing im at work, otherwise i would be really really freaking out right now.
heh... my coworker keeps asking me why i keep laughing today. my productivity has dropped to zero in the last hour.

you know i started out not angry at all about the amazon price deal and i even posted to that effect, but the more i think about it, the more i can feel the blood pressure rising.

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Oct 4th 2002, 12:30 pm

you and me both.
pgh_kenny wrote:
fnordboy wrote:
you know i started out not angry at all about the amazon price deal and i even posted to that effect, but the more i think about it, the more i can feel the blood pressure rising.