So Jason any decisions on your next DVD project?

This forum has been closed and archived. No further postings allowed. Read-only access. For more informations read this announcement.
fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Oct 5th 2002, 8:46 pm

David Lambert wrote: I want the "Ottoman Box Set" version myself! ;)
WOW! I want the ottoman version too. That is great. Hope it comes to life.

Thanks for that info!

chrisgm23
Frozen Embryo

The Golden Girls

Post by chrisgm23 » Oct 5th 2002, 10:02 pm

How about the Golden Girls on DVD? That would be awesome.

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Oct 6th 2002, 10:58 pm

Is it going to be Eerie, Indiana?
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

MovieMac
Liberty High Student

Re: the wonder years!

Post by MovieMac » Oct 7th 2002, 9:42 am

Megs wrote:I would also love a DVD boxset of the Wonder Years. I love that show. Music clearance for that would be a pain. :?

What summary shows are you talking about?
modo wrote:I'd love to see the entire Wonder Years series come out on DVD. They have done two "summary" shows but I assume that music clearance would also be a problem. THAT was one hell of a show and I'd love to see more.
As you may know there are two "Wonder Years" dvds out there. They are christmas specials and stuff released by Delta Entertainment.

On other dvd boards there has been talk that the dvd rights for the Wonder Years are with Anchor Bay now. I don't know if this is correct, but if so, I'm sure we will receive some very good product (after all the music clearances etc. etc. :wink: ).

I have another question for Jason: How will that whole production process work the next time? Do you approach a rights holder for a series and ask them if you can help them with releasing the show? What will be your title then? Are you going to be the producer?
I could go on with a dozen more questions like that, but I hope you understand what I mean :roll: and you can explain your activities a little further.

And one more question: I read that you (Jsaon) are going to be a "star" of a dvd released by DVD Angle yourself. This dvd will be some kind of a patchwork documentary about the dvd production process itself. You can find further information here. The content list includes "Jason Rosenfeld: An independent journey to bring the TV series My So-Called Life to DVD." That whole project sounds interesting, it would be nice if you could comment on how you were involved into this.
And if you know the producers of this dvd or representatives of DVD Angle, could you please ask them to make this dvd available internationally. :roll: At hte moment they are only shipping to the US.

Thanks.

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Oct 7th 2002, 9:55 am

My slot on the DVD Discoveries disc will be a case study on AU's handling of the MSCL disc. It will be a no-holds-barred discussion.

Obviously, the AU.com debacle has forced me to rethink my strategy. If they couldn't get their s**t together in 7 months, they don't deserve to do future DVD projects. (I don't want anybody to think that my advice to AU.com was to piss everyone off. They did that despite my repeated warnings).

So, first and foremost, AU.com is out of the picture for any future projects planned by my company. I am currently working with a respected DVD distributor to create a better experience for future projects. That's all I can say right now.

PS: I know for a fact that DVD Discoveries will be available internationally from DV-Depot.com
MovieMac wrote:
Megs wrote:I would also love a DVD boxset of the Wonder Years. I love that show. Music clearance for that would be a pain. :?

What summary shows are you talking about?
modo wrote:I'd love to see the entire Wonder Years series come out on DVD. They have done two "summary" shows but I assume that music clearance would also be a problem. THAT was one hell of a show and I'd love to see more.
As you may know there are two "Wonder Years" dvds out there. They are christmas specials and stuff released by Delta Entertainment.

On other dvd boards there has been talk that the dvd rights for the Wonder Years are with Anchor Bay now. I don't know if this is correct, but if so, I'm sure we will receive some very good product (after all the music clearances etc. etc. :wink: ).

I have another question for Jason: How will that whole production process work the next time? Do you approach a rights holder for a series and ask them if you can help them with releasing the show? What will be your title then? Are you going to be the producer?
I could go on with a dozen more questions like that, but I hope you understand what I mean :roll: and you can explain your activities a little further.

And one more question: I read that you (Jsaon) are going to be a "star" of a dvd released by DVD Angle yourself. This dvd will be some kind of a patchwork documentary about the dvd production process itself. You can find further information here. The content list includes "Jason Rosenfeld: An independent journey to bring the TV series My So-Called Life to DVD." That whole project sounds interesting, it would be nice if you could comment on how you were involved into this.
And if you know the producers of this dvd or representatives of DVD Angle, could you please ask them to make this dvd available internationally. :roll: At hte moment they are only shipping to the US.

Thanks.

MovieMac
Liberty High Student

Post by MovieMac » Oct 7th 2002, 10:03 am

Jason Rosenfeld wrote: PS: I know for a fact that DVD Discoveries will be available internationally from DV-Depot.com
Wow :D Great! The Depot is my favorite DVD retailer for RC1 discs. And into the flexicart it goes. 8)

mephisto
Angela's best friend

Post by mephisto » Oct 7th 2002, 10:43 am

MovieMac wrote: On other dvd boards there has been talk that the dvd rights for the Wonder Years are with Anchor Bay now. I don't know if this is correct, but if so, I'm sure we will receive some very good product (after all the music clearances etc. etc. :wink: ).
I heard a rumor in spring that the first season was planned for release this fall. Doesn't seem to be the case.

but if you have any details about possible releases by Anchor Bay (after all the released the first 4 episodes on VHS some years ago), please share ;)

btw, I hope future DVDs will clear the music rights, because the DVDs from Delta Ent were a big disappointment (other main title, other songs)

MovieMac
Liberty High Student

Post by MovieMac » Oct 7th 2002, 11:43 am

mephisto wrote:
MovieMac wrote: On other dvd boards there has been talk that the dvd rights for the Wonder Years are with Anchor Bay now. I don't know if this is correct, but if so, I'm sure we will receive some very good product (after all the music clearances etc. etc. :wink: ).
I heard a rumor in spring that the first season was planned for release this fall. Doesn't seem to be the case.

but if you have any details about possible releases by Anchor Bay (after all the released the first 4 episodes on VHS some years ago), please share ;)

btw, I hope future DVDs will clear the music rights, because the DVDs from Delta Ent were a big disappointment (other main title, other songs)
I'm sorry no details. Well it's not like I'm close to any secret source, who could tell me anything. :? And this AB news is just gossip from other boards, but since they released a tape maybe there's hope. I think only AB itself can answer if they own the rights and are planning a release. Hopefully there will be a chat with AB again at the HTF sometime.

As for the Delta releases, I didn't know about the changed music. That's awful. I knew that the quality wasn't that good anyway, so I didn't buy those discs but changing the music of the Wonder Years makes the whole show kind of pointless (assuming they inserted some kind of "no rights needed"-music).

mephisto
Angela's best friend

Post by mephisto » Oct 7th 2002, 12:11 pm

MovieMac wrote:As for the Delta releases, I didn't know about the changed music. That's awful. I knew that the quality wasn't that good anyway, so I didn't buy those discs but changing the music of the Wonder Years makes the whole show kind of pointless (assuming they inserted some kind of "no rights needed"-music).
well, they released a version that was aired i.e. on Scandinavian TV - I guess because of legal problems. The AB VHS-tapes had the original music

--> http://twybook.cjb.net

Mold E. Peaches
Liberty High Student

Post by Mold E. Peaches » Oct 8th 2002, 7:15 pm

MovieMac wrote:
mephisto wrote:

I'm sorry no details. Well it's not like I'm close to any secret source, who could tell me anything. :? And this AB news is just gossip from other boards, but since they released a tape maybe there's hope. I think only AB itself can answer if they own the rights and are planning a release. Hopefully there will be a chat with AB again at the HTF sometime.

As for the Delta releases, I didn't know about the changed music. That's awful. I knew that the quality wasn't that good anyway, so I didn't buy those discs but changing the music of the Wonder Years makes the whole show kind of pointless (assuming they inserted some kind of "no rights needed"-music).
Yeah kinda like how MTV finally released the complete first season of "The Real World", but butchered the whole meaning of the project by not bothering to get music clearances, and inserting instrumental elevator music. The music is part of that show....it reflects the time period in which it occured....It's just not right without it. MTV did that to the Daria movies/episodes on DVD too....GRRRR....MTV needs to get their s**t together....