Kelly Clarkson vs. MSCL

This forum has been closed and archived. No further postings allowed. Read-only access. For more informations read this announcement.

Will Kelly Clarkson's album or MSCL DVDs arrive first?

Kelly
71%
MSCL
29%

Total votes: 17

DrLemonBurn
Three Rivers Resident

Post by DrLemonBurn » Sep 30th 2002, 1:09 am

MSCL is just as much a product of popular culture as KC is. While you, or anyone else, is hiding under rocks avoiding Kelly, you'll be hiding away from MSCL and any other pop-stuff that seems so abhorrent just by virtue of its being pop.
The reason that I dislike KC has nothing to do with the fact that she's obscenely pop. Pop can be great. I love Nelly Furtado, Dave Matthews Band, Pink, hell, I even like Aqua. I just think KC is embarrassingly lame and unoriginal. :) Some people think a lot of the music I listen to takes no talent to make and sounds like noise (Coil, Current 93, and Autechre, for example). But that's just what some people think. Different music touches different people, and that's cool because it makes them happy. (awww...) And (kind of) like you said, if someone shirks from a category of anything just because of some of its contents, they miss out.

But I really, really hate KC's voice, and I can't wait for her to be gone into some obscure subculture, along with countless other musicians from all genres. And hopefully she'll take carrots away with her. And I'm not just saying that because they're vegetables. I like... erm... corn and uhh... umm... But carrots, ech. They're just wet, orange wood.
so says Sparx.

DrLemonBurn
Three Rivers Resident

Post by DrLemonBurn » Sep 30th 2002, 1:15 am

north_Star98, you kick ass.

That's both on topic and worth saying. :wink:
so says Sparx.

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Sep 30th 2002, 2:38 am

B-10, I-59, E-287.

I might do better than that but I blame my sticky mouse. :?

I bet an optical mouse'd shave off at least 10% from my times, just from the better clicking accuracy.

Ah, hell, I'll go back to pinball! :P
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

Pedro
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Pedro » Sep 30th 2002, 7:03 am

Firstly Marquito, I think you have it wrong. I am not hiding under any rocks to try and avoid that Kelly woman because she is pop, and you dont know me well enough to tell me so. For your information, I love pop music. I have loved Kylie Minogue since 1987 (long before the current US craze for her - apart from 'The Locomotion') I also love Crush (they sang 'Jellyhead') Samantha Mumba and Plumb as well as a tonne more. Pop music is great and I certainly have no problem admitting that - I just don't see why she's being referenced to in this forum so much.

I don't really care how much people think her album will arrive before the DVD set - thats a bit of an obscure and irrelevant question anyway -
I just don't understand why her lyrics are being quoted in a MSCL forum. You obviously like her alot, but im in no way questioning her status in popular culture. I really don't care.

In the meantime, I only saw a small clip of Will Young singing on the US American Idol and so dont know exactly how good he was, but he is a really nice guy and has a great voice too. Sure he may not do that annoying quivering up-and-down on every note thing that Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston do, but that doesnt mean he cant sing. He's great and I think the problem with these Pop Idol things is that its all a bit too planned out at first. Once these singers get into their own style I reckon the whole thing will be alot more interesting. Plus he's gay and I think a gay guy winning Pop Idol is fantastic cos it gives hope to other aspiring entertainers who may be gay, and also all the bigots have to stand by and watch a gay man be incredibly successful - which they probably hate.

Look out for Will when he comes to the states.... 8)

P.S - To anybody else who wants to tell me how I think or act, or whether my tastes in music are exclusive, I have a really good quote from an Armand Van Helden song (which I think you may find can be deemed as pop).....

You don't even know me, you say that i'm not living life, you don't understand me, so why do you judge my life?'

Pedro
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Pedro » Sep 30th 2002, 7:27 am

P.S - Two things.....

You say in your post that the fact people are voting that Kelly's album will arrive first speaks volumes about the people who are apparently 'hiding under rocks' - all it says to me is that people expect the delays in shipping the set to go on for a while. That's it. If you ask people which they would rather have land on their doorstep tomorrow, I think MSCL would be the winner. Plus, you say that the lyrics of the song she's made resonates with you cos you've waited for the DVD set for so long. Well, surprise surprise your not the only one who's been waiting!! If we all added song lyrics to this forum from our favourite acts the whole thing would just be so naff.

Secondly, please don't accuse me of hiding under rocks to avoid a singer I know nothing about. Also, please don't accuse me of, in turn, hiding away from MSCL. I LOVE MSCL, and I do have the capacity to appreciate it. I also dont have a problem with pop culture or pop music and am not ignorant in that way. Until you know me, keep your acusataions and conclusions to yourself.

All I said in my post was that I dont get why Kelly Clarkson is filtering into
into this forum - that's it. Oh and by the way - Will Young CAN sing and he does so brilliantly!!

Pedro
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Pedro » Sep 30th 2002, 7:28 am

P.S - Two things.....

You say in your post that the fact people are voting that Kelly's album will arrive first speaks volumes about the people who are apparently 'hiding under rocks' - all it says to me is that people expect the delays in shipping the set to go on for a while. That's it. If you ask people which they would rather have land on their doorstep tomorrow, I think MSCL would be the winner. Plus, you say that the lyrics of the song she's made resonates with you cos you've waited for the DVD set for so long. Well, surprise surprise your not the only one who's been waiting!! If we all added song lyrics to this forum from our favourite acts the whole thing would just be so naff.

Secondly, please don't accuse me of hiding under rocks to avoid a singer I know nothing about. Also, please don't accuse me of, in turn, hiding away from MSCL. I LOVE MSCL, and I do have the capacity to appreciate it. I also dont have a problem with pop culture or pop music and am not ignorant in that way. Until you know me, keep your acusataions and conclusions to yourself.

All I said in my post was that I dont get why Kelly Clarkson is filtering into
into this forum - that's it. Oh and by the way - Will Young CAN sing and he does so brilliantly!!

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 30th 2002, 1:58 pm

Pedro wrote:Oh and by the way - Will Young CAN sing and he does so brilliantly!!
Sorry, I am a former choir girl and I think that Will Young is an average singer. I am not judging his looks or fashion sense - just his voice, which again I think is only so-so. I knew at least five guys in my senior choir who were MUCH better singers than Will is. Then again, this further illustrates my point that winning this contest is not entirely about singing. After all, look how far Justin got on American Idol with his cheesy faces.

The best way to "watch" these shows is to turn the tv on, leave the room, and listen without seeing their faces or clothes, then come back in and compare the image with the sound. Unfortunately, too many people (mostly the ones who are phoning in their votes!) are just looking at the image. Like Simon said, there is the IT factor!

marquito
Jody Barsh

Post by marquito » Sep 30th 2002, 2:29 pm

DrLemonBurn wrote:But I really, really hate KC's voice, and I can't wait for her to be gone into some obscure subculture, along with countless other musicians from all genres. And hopefully she'll take carrots away with her. And I'm not just saying that because they're vegetables. I like... erm... corn and uhh... umm... But carrots, ech. They're just wet, orange wood.
You're a hypocrite. There were probably people who couldn't wait for MSCL to "be gone into some obscure subculture". Although, I must admit, if you're on this board, you can comparitively consider yourself part of "some obscure subculture" anyway. Of course, everyone has a right to their opinion and likes and dislikes are a very subjective thing--the fickle nature of taste. I'll give you that. However, I don't think it's necessary to relegate KC to a corner facing away from the rest of the world. Some people actually like her and she has a real voice in comparison with most other pop stars in the music industry. I think she'll be around a long time--regardless of whether it's on topic or off.

marquito
Jody Barsh

kiss my a$$, Pedro

Post by marquito » Sep 30th 2002, 2:42 pm

Pedro wrote:Firstly Marquito, I think you have it wrong. I am not hiding under any rocks to try and avoid that Kelly woman because she is pop, and you dont know me well enough to tell me so. (snip)Pop music is great and I certainly have no problem admitting that - I just don't see why she's being referenced to in this forum so much.
Excuse me, Pedro, but you're ridiculous. I was talking about someone else's post when I referred to people hiding under rocks. All your babble on the subject is unfounded and a waste of time and energy. The fact I used a quote from one of your messages didn't mean I was referring to you when I wrote about hiding under rocks. If you look back you'll see where another message prior to that one talked about how someone wants to hide under a rock to avoid KC.

Perdo: I don't know you, have no intention of knowing you, nor do I care either way what you like or don't like. None of what you have to say is of any consequence. I'm just waiting for my fecking MSCL DVDs like everyone else and hoping they'll get here some time this century. Thanks.

marquito
Jody Barsh

LOL!!!

Post by marquito » Sep 30th 2002, 2:44 pm

marquito wrote:Perdo...
LOL@my typo. Sorry about that. I didn't mean to feck up your name.

marquito
Jody Barsh

Post by marquito » Sep 30th 2002, 2:57 pm

Pedro wrote:Look out for Will when he comes to the states.... 8)
Pedro, I could care less about Will. Kelly is the bomb and she rules and eclipses Will any day!

somamoon
Three Rivers Resident

Post by somamoon » Sep 30th 2002, 5:27 pm

For those calling Kelly unoriginal - you do realize she didn't write the songs on her single, right?

DrLemonBurn
Three Rivers Resident

Post by DrLemonBurn » Sep 30th 2002, 6:23 pm

You're a hypocrite. There were probably people who couldn't wait for MSCL to "be gone into some obscure subculture".
I know (the second part, not the hypocrite part :) ). That's what I was saying. We all like different things, and the most popular becomes what's all over the TV, radio, etc. So MSCL fades away. I wish it was still popular. But it isn't. The least popular things fade away. I just wish that it wasn't KC that's most popular, because I don't like her music. And I don't want to "relegate KC to a corner facing away from the rest of the world." I'm not an authority on who gets to listen to what. I just wish that she wasn't popular, because I want to hear other groups. I wish it was mostly the stuff that I like that's on the radio, but it isn't because most people don't like it. And that's the way it goes. I just listen to less radio and watch less TV. Oh well.

It's similar to people using the word "faggot" as an insult. I don't like it. I'm not going to forbid people from saying it; I can't. I just wish it was less popular so that I wouldn't have to hear it so much. (I don't mean to say KC is a corrupt influence or anything like that. The above example is just the first that came to mind.)

And umm... end with something happy... uhh... Australians: Happy Queen's Birthday!!

Uhh... yeah. That's the best I can do right now.
so says Sparx.

DrLemonBurn
Three Rivers Resident

Post by DrLemonBurn » Sep 30th 2002, 6:29 pm

And Pedro: you're not exactly ridiculous. You argued against a point that apparently wasn't aimed at you. You're totally INSANE!! :wink:
so says Sparx.

marquito
Jody Barsh

Come out in the open

Post by marquito » Sep 30th 2002, 8:46 pm

DrLemonBurn wrote:I know (the second part, not the hypocrite part :) ). (snip) So MSCL fades away. I wish it was still popular. But it isn't. The least popular things fade away. I just wish that it wasn't KC that's most popular, because I don't like her music.
Her music isn't the point. It's her voice and her journey as a person. She's amazing and I like her because of that. I don't like her just because she's pop. I like her because of her. If I hadn't given MSCL a chance when it came out, I'd never know how good it was. You gave it a chance. All I'm saying is, rather than hide under a rock, people should give them a chance. Not for pop's sake, just for the sake of being open to things. Everyone's entitled to their own likes and dislikes. The reasoning behind calling you a hypocrite lies in the fact that you agree with dTheater who wants to hide under a rock to avoid Kelly. You cringe and run when you hear her voice and yet, you probably haven't made it through the entire song to find out that she does have a genuinely beautiful voice. Regardless, everyone is free to do what they want. Just don't be hypocritical about it. Stop hiding under rocks. Just listen to what you want out in the open. LOL