2002 DVD release (BMG)

This forum is for questions/discussions about the now sold out first DVD box set by BMG / AnotherUniverse.
Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

2002 DVD release (BMG)

Post by Sascha » Apr 15th 2003, 12:43 pm

NOTE: This is the FAQ for the old 2002 DVD release by AnotherUniverse and BMG. This DVD set is not longer available in stores.

Please also read this announcement regarding postings about AnotherUniverse.com or Ross Rojek. You can discuss the content of the Bedford Falls interview - but postings related to AU, its bankruptcy, its products, or its indicted CEO are not permitted at mscl.com.

THE DISCS

How many episodes are on each disc? What's the bitrate?
Disc 1 (bitrate around 5.6 Mbit/sec, DVD-9): #1,#2,#3
Disc 2 (bitrate around 5.4 Mbit/sec, DVD-9): #4,#5,#6,#7
Disc 3 (bitrate around 5.4 Mbit/sec, DVD-9): #8,#9,#10,#11
Disc 4 (bitrate around 5.4 Mbit/sec, DVD-9): #12,#13,#14,#15
Disc 5 (bitrate around 5.4 Mbit/sec, DVD-9): #16,#17,#18,#19

What are the technical details of the DVDs?
5.1 Dolby Surround Sound, Fullscreen (1.33:1) Format, Region 0 (can be played in players around the world, Note: Your DVD player or your TV must be able to display NTSC standard - modern DVD players can transform the NTSC signal into PAL or PAL60, see your owners manual for details).

Huh, are they *really* Region Code 0? The product listing at my retailer says something else...?
Nope, those Region Code 1 listings (e.g. amazon.com) are WRONG. The discs are indeed Region 0. Definitely, we checked it ourselves.

Can I watch the discs on my PAL TV?
This depends on your TV. The discs are in NTSC (US-american TV standard). Most PAL DVD-players can transform this NTSC signal into the so-called PAL60, but your TV must be able to display PAL60 (see users manual). Some TVs can even display NTSC. You may notice some loss in picture quality though. You have no problems if you watch the DVDs on your computer.

Help, I only get a black and white picture on my european TV!!! What's wrong?
This is probably a NTSC/PAL problem. (See above). Either your DVD player isn't set up to output PAL or PAL60 or your TV doesn't "understand" PAL60 / NTSC. Check your owner manuals of the DVD player and your TV for details about NTSC->PAL/PAL60 mode.

There's another possible reason for a black/white picture: You connected your DVD player with an S-Video cable to the SCART-connector of your TV and your TV is not compatible with S-Video.
Solutions:
1) Check you TV manual for details how to enable S-Video input mode or
2) Don't use S-Video cable. Connect the DVD-player and TV either with Composite ("Cinch") cable or only with SCART cable.

Are the discs copy-protected (Macrovision)?
No.

Are there any language dubs on the disc? What is the sound quality?
The original episodes were filmed and produced in Stereo 2.0. The DVDs are remastered in Dolby Digital 5.1. There were reports that the 5.1 sound is slightly async in some episodes. The stereo track is okay.
Only English is available. The costs for additional languages would have been too high for this small run.

Are there any foreign language subtitles on the disc?
There are only english subtitles. The costs for additional languages would have been too high for this small run.

But some fans have started to subtitle the episodes in various languages. It will take some time until completion though. See http://www.mscl.com/dvd/dvdstuff.phtml for some self-made subtitles for your PC.

You can find the old (outdated) inofficial DVD FAQ here: http://www.mscl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1387

If you didn't order your set at AnotherUniverse (AU), you can skip all paragraphs about AU.

Note: The AU sections in that FAQ list are no longer updated.