Jason Katims talks about his work for MSCL

Found a reference to "My So-Called Life" in a book, movie, tv show or somewhere else? Then post here!
Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Jason Katims talks about his work for MSCL

Post by Sascha » May 24th 2011, 7:33 am

Great interview with Jason Katims, who went on to create the amazing shows "Friday Night Lights" and "Parenthood" after writing for "My So-Called Life":

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/20 ... ransc.html

Some excerpts:
I came out and met with Ed and it was right when he was developing with Winnie Holzman and Marshall Herskovitz the pilot for My So-Called Life. The timing actually worked out to be really great because even though I didn’t have a job right away, I got to meet Winnie Holzman, and when they were shooting the pilot I got to be on set and meet all the actors. It was really sort of like my graduate school, as well as my first job as a writer.
I've learned a lot of great things from Winnie Holzman. I've had a weird career, where I got my first job on My So-Called Life and I was a staff writer or story editor on that show. There were only eighteen episodes of that show and the next show I did was Relativity, which I created. I sort of had this weird leap from being a baby writer to being a show-runner in no time flat. I learned a tremendous amount from Winnie. I was very lucky in that there was a relatively small writing staff on My So-Called Life. Winnie would pull me in when she was rewriting scenes and have me work with her. Sometimes I think she was doing it really just so she would stay awake, but she didn't say that to me. She said she really wanted my input. I've learned so much in a relatively short amount of time from Winnie, just in terms of what the potential is for writing for TV, what you can do with characters, how emotional and honest something can be. It was a really remarkable first job to have and probably changed the course of my career and my future in ways that I still don't quite even comprehend.

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/20 ... ransc.html

Greybird
Let's Bolt Regular

Re: Jason Katims talks about his work for MSCL

Post by Greybird » Jun 7th 2011, 9:29 pm

"There were only eighteen episodes of that show [nineteen, actually] and the next show I did was Relativity, which I created."

Why, why, WHY isn't Relativity on DVD by now? Not the same fan community (compared to MSCL, there never could be), but it was astoundingly good storytelling! My over-the-air tapes weren't good (or quite complete) in the first place, and they're degrading {sigh}

... Off to other net.realms {a-HEM!} to look for it again. If they're just going to sit on it, dammit, what is one to do otherwise?
Greybird of Starhaven
"MSCL" crazy since March 1995

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jun 9th 2011, 3:22 am

I loved Relativity too. I was so sad when it was canceled.

Sounds like Jason learned some really important lessons from working on MSCL with Winnie Holzman. The characters on his shows are always so real and easy to relate to.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

broken850
Frozen Embryo

Post by broken850 » Nov 12th 2012, 6:55 am

talked about the role of the nephew on Ugly Betty, and Callie on Grey's Anatomy, I would have liked to have read his opinion on Kurt Hummel.
Thanks