Rolling Stone Uses MSCL as a Measure for Angst Tolerance

Found a reference to "My So-Called Life" in a book, movie, tv show or somewhere else? Then post here!
Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Rolling Stone Uses MSCL as a Measure for Angst Tolerance

Post by Jody Barsch* » Feb 13th 2011, 9:05 pm

From an article reviewing MTV'S remake of Skins:
It's the sensitivity scenes that get tough on the stomach — in every episode, you can tell when the jaded party kids are about to drop their facades and reveal how scared and lonely they feel on the inside. "Nobody understands me!" "It's all so fake!" These are the clichés that either move you or make you reach for the bucket, depending on how many My So-Called Life DVDs you own.
http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/new ... e-20110131
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Bacchante
Let's Bolt Regular

Re: Rolling Stone Uses MSCL as a Measure for Angst Tolerance

Post by Bacchante » Feb 14th 2011, 8:04 am

I watched 15 min of the British Skins and could barely stand it, let alone understand why people compare it to MSCL. But I guess this isn't the first show that takes more than 15 min to get into :)
Also it kind of confuses me when people associate MSCL with angst... I mean yes, that's present, but for me, not the main theme really.
But thank you for letting us know :) I'm just ranting :P
"I know you think, how could someone like me understand. Only, I do."

Catalinawinemixer
Frozen Embryo

Post by Catalinawinemixer » Feb 14th 2011, 8:34 pm

I really don't see how anyone can really relate to a show like "Skins". Besides all the controversy it has gotten from the media the show just sucks and has nothing in common with MSCL.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Feb 15th 2011, 12:25 am

Bacchante wrote:I watched 15 min of the British Skins and could barely stand it, let alone understand why people compare it to MSCL. But I guess this isn't the first show that takes more than 15 min to get into :)
I'd say other than the fact that both shows feature characters under the age of 21, they don't really have anything in common. The are very different. I haven't seen the MTV remake, but I am a big fan of the original Skins. I think it took till episode 2 (I love Cassie) to fully win me over -- and even then there are episodes (like "Effy" series 1) that I'm not totally sold on. I thought I'd hate the new casts as I'd grown to love the original kids so much, but the 'series' 3&4 kids won me over (although I have yet to watch 'series' 4).
Bacchante wrote:Also it kind of confuses me when people associate MSCL with angst... I mean yes, that's present, but for me, not the main theme really.
Yeah, I'd agree with that. Like the article Natasha recently posted that described Wilson Cruz as the angsty Rickie, it sounded so wrong. I guess viewers can't really claim the show as a whole isn't angst-ridden, but Rickie Vasquez, no.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !