Rickie mentioned in Gawker article about gay teens on tv

Found a reference to "My So-Called Life" in a book, movie, tv show or somewhere else? Then post here!
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Rickie mentioned in Gawker article about gay teens on tv

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Apr 8th 2010, 4:38 am

Gawker has a short article about gay teens on tv that mentions Rickie. My two quibbles: Rickie's name is misspelled, and he was gay, not gay-ish. I don't remember it being "sort of a big deal" (except by Patty), but I don't recall a huge media storm about Rickie being gay.
Remember when Ricky was gay-ish on My So-Called Life and it was sort of a big deal? Well those days are over. There are several gay teen characters currently on the air, and no one's saying boo.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Brunkster
Liberty High Student

Re: Rickie mentioned in Gawker article about gay teens on tv

Post by Brunkster » Apr 8th 2010, 11:39 am

Hmm, I don't remember Rickie's gay-ness being a big deal either, although I'm fairly sure that there are more gay characters on TV today than back in the '90's. I'm glad you brought up Patty, though. I love that scene when Angela tries to mollify her mother by suggesting that Rickie might be "bi". Patty then says (with some horror and disbelief) "Bi??????". Then Danielle pipes in "That means bisexual." Ha, that was classic!