MSCL play to be performed in Kentucky

Found a reference to "My So-Called Life" in a book, movie, tv show or somewhere else? Then post here!
Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

MSCL play to be performed in Kentucky

Post by Sascha » Jan 11th 2009, 6:22 am

From the Kentucky Courier Journal:

"My So-Called So-Called Life." Walden Theatre presents this play about a girl who thinks she is a character in the '90s television show "My So-Called Life" Thursday and Friday, 7:30 p.m.; Saturday, 2 and 7:30 p.m., Martin Experimental Theatre, Kentucky Center, Sixth and Main streets. Matinee: $10, $8 for students and seniors; evening: $15, $10 for students and seniors. (502) 584-7777.

Show dates and times: http://ww2.kentuckycenter.org/ticketing ... umber=4459

More details (not much yet) http://www.waldentheatre.org/season.asp#scl
My So-Called So-Called Life
by David Largman Murray
directed by Alec Volz

Synopsis
The World Premiere of a 15 year-old girl who thinks she's a character in the 90's TV show, and laments the trials and tribulations of being a teenager and dealing with friends, guys, parents and school.

Dates: 2009
January 15, 16, 22, & 23 @ 7:30pm
January 17 & 24 @ 2:00pm & 7:30pm
Walden Theatre showcases the talent of their young actors with a new play by David Largman Murray. My So-Called So-Called Life tells the story of a 15 year-old girl who thinks she's a character in the cult-classic 90's TV show, lamenting the trials and tribulations of being a teenager and dealing with friends, guys, parents and school. This particular show gives eight Walden Students the chance to play roles with whom they are intimately familiar-teenagers! Whether you are familiar with the original or not, My So-Called So-Called Life skillfully portrays life as a teenager, and allows the audience the opportunity to relive both humorous and horrifying moments of growing up. The show opens on January 15 and runs through January 24 in The MeX Theatre at The Kentucky Center-2117 Payne Street.
From another site:
[David Largman Murray's] full length play My So-Called So-Called Life was produced in the 2005 New Plays Festival, won the Corwin Award for Playwriting and was a semi-finalist for the Playwrights Center 's Playlabs festival in Minneapolis.

Stick
Liberty High Student

Re: MSCL play to be performed in Kentucky

Post by Stick » Jan 12th 2009, 8:50 pm

It sounds interesting. (If not confusing) I wish I could see it, if only out of curiosity.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Jan 14th 2009, 4:07 am

The Courier-Journal has some more details:
Walden Theatre students often portray adults quite skillfully. Now, an upcoming world premiere of "My So-Called So-Called Life" gives eight young actors the chance to play teenagers.

Under the direction of Alec Volz, the cast will perform a new work by Los Angeles playwright David Largman Murray about a 15-year-old girl who thinks she's a character in the 1994-95 television series "My So-Called Life."

Claire Danes won a Golden Globe Award for her portrayal of teenager Angela Chase on the critically acclaimed TV show that propelled her to Hollywood films.

In the Walden play, Madeline Marchal, a senior at Assumption High School, plays Angela. The cast also includes Walden students Eliot Zellers, Jordan Brown, Jenny Richardson, Callie Trawick, Britt Mahan, Sami Siegwald and Megan McCabe.

"One of the great things about the program here at Walden is that, as well as working on Shakespeare and American classical theater, the students also have the opportunity to produce brand-new plays like this one -- sometimes even premiering a new playwright," said Miriam Flowe, Walden communications manager.

The 80-minute play follows Angela as she navigates through romantic troubles, relationships with friends and parents, and other exciting and humiliating teenage experiences.

Murray is a winner of multiple playwriting awards and fellowships.
marchal.jpg
Madeline Marchal as Angela (picture by the courier-journal.com)
marchal.jpg (5.49 KiB) Viewed 6585 times

Abbaloushka
Tino

Post by Abbaloushka » Jan 24th 2009, 10:07 am

Well, I went to see this last night with a friend who loves MSCL (we were Angela's age when it first aired). The play kind of mocks Angela/the show, and was.... weird. It made us laugh (sometimes when we weren't supposed to) but I don't think it's geared toward actual fans of MSCL. Plus it rips off some of my favorite lines of the show, but not in a way that seemed appropriate. It was an interesting concept, shaky on the execution.
Which isn't to berate the actor and actresses- it's more the writing I didn't care for.
I mean, that, uh, poem? That oak tree poem? That was yesterday. What are you going to write today?