NEW FanFiction CrossOver! (MSCL & Big Love)

Discussion and questions about the FanFiction section of MSCL.com. You can also post excerpts of your unfinished stories here if you're looking for feedback or ideas.
Cami A.
Catalano

NEW FanFiction CrossOver! (MSCL & Big Love)

Post by Cami A. » Apr 14th 2009, 4:26 am

Hi Lifers!

ikilledkennyandjr & I are pleased to announce we have teamed up and are in the planning stages of writing a new crossover fan fiction between "My So-Called Life" & HBO's "Big Love." We're calling it "Life-Sized Love". If you're not fan of "Big Love", to learn all about it: click here.

About Life-Sized Love

Life-Sized Love is a unique concept, that's never been done before. It's a cross-over between two of the best shows on television past and present. Here's the concept: the three main male characters from 1994's "My So-Called Life"- Rickie Vasquez, Brian Krakow, and Jordan Catalano - are being relocated to the suburban city of Sandy, Utah, where we are assuming they have lived all their lives. Here they will interact, and even become friends with three of the teenagers from HBO's "Big Love" - Heather Tuttle, Sarah Henrickson, and Benny Henrickson. Through their friendships and personal struggles we will learn about love, acceptance, and tolerance. We will touch on issues of religion, economic class, sexuality, and more.

Authors
ikilledkennyandjr
Cami A.

Tentative List of Characters:

Main Characters
Rickie Vasquez (MSCL)
Brian Krakow (MSCL)
Jordan Catalano (MSCL)
Heather Tuttle (BL)
Sarah Henrickson (BL)
Benny Henrickson (BL)

Secondary Characters
Rhonda Volmer (BL)
Angela Chase (MSCL)
Margene Heffman (BL)
Brynn (BL)
Mr. Katimski (MSCL)

Character Bios

Image Image Image

You'd be hard-pressed to find a better friend than Rickie Vasquez is--or a worse family than Rickie has. The sweet, extravagantly-dressed boy could be best described as a survivor; he deals with so much pain, but he doesn't let it change who he is. Nor does he push that pain onto other people. What seems to affect him most, is the pain of his loved ones. Such distress often makes him feel helpless, especially when his friends begin to follow the paths of fear and hate. He's been down those roads before--and they're hard on the feet.

Curly haired nerd, Brian Krakow is an odd blend of intelligent immaturity, perhaps because his parents are psychiatrists that fundamentally disagree on the whole universe. He's the kid that's terrified of anything illogical--so naturally, his friend Benny's family situation is off-putting. Even worse is the fact that he can't figure it out, and when Brian Krakow can't figure something out, Brian Krakow is not a happy camper. But his worst fear is his own heart, which has gotten him into trouble more than once. If he could only control his emotions, he could control everything else. Brian rarely asks for the impossible, but this is one thing he's not afraid to fantasize about.

Jordan Catalano is Sandy High's hunky heart-throb, whose main hobby is leaning on walls and staring at nothing. This is followed closely by playing his guitar and fixing up his convertible. In case you couldn't tell, he's a simple guy, and he lives by a simple code of decency. He guest-stars in many a teen girl's dreams, his blankness a clean slate for their fantasies. It's tempting to say his only real depth is his beautiful blue eyes. So when those spacey eyes flicker with pain, is it just a mirage? Part pathetic flunkee, part rebellious pretty-boy, he's the perfect object of affection for an innocent and moralistic Mormon girl...especially one that's starting to question the foundation on which her life is built.

Image Image Image

Daughter to a state trooper and a housewife, Heather Tuttle is a head strong, but sweet-natured girl. She's known for having good intentions, but a lack of tact when it comes to examining the world around her and the people in it. The only person she's ever really hated...is herself. When confronted with parts of her she has tried for eons to deny, will Heather fly or flounder?

Socially conscious high school senior, Sarah Henrickson is uncomfortable with the polygamist lifestyle her parents have chosen to live, as it affects her everyday social life. It especially starts to bother her when she emerges from her shell and starts to make friends. As Life-Sized Love's protagonist we will follow her through the peaks and valleys of her mind.

Benny Henrickson is the average 15 year old pubescent boy. He is easily influenced by the people he looks up to, and for Benny, his biggest role model is his polygamist father. How will Benny's friendships and romances work out, when his peers' core values are so different from his own?

VIDEO PROMOS:
Krakow's Story
Sarah's Story
Benny's Story
"So, the mouse makes pressure, just by breathing?...I can relate."

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Re: NEW FanFiction CrossOver! (MSCL & Big Love)

Post by Jody Barsch* » Apr 15th 2009, 12:25 am

This is too funny! WHERE did this idea come from???
Great title by the way.
You have got to find a way to work Rhonda into this! Are we to hope for any Jordan/Margie tension? (Might Lily Kane and Mac make an appearance too? :mrgreen: )

And the promos -- RAD! A long time ago I had the idea of re-editing the show to kind of try to create so-called new episodes, but I never had the knowhow, and doubted that it would work. You guys did such a cool thing in doing this! I love the Leonard Cohen. And what a great use of the Dylan song. (The use of quotes around "best" in Benny's was crucial -- Bill is such a self-important sleazy manipulator!)

[I'm currently trying to interest one of my friends in attending the upcoming Big Love cast / crew panel at the Paley Center (Museum of Television Radio) with me. If I end up going, I'll be sure to share.]
Last edited by Jody Barsch* on Apr 15th 2009, 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Cami A.
Catalano

Post by Cami A. » Apr 15th 2009, 2:31 am

Jody!

Thanks for your enthusiastic comments on our idea. I've recently become obsessed with "Big Love." I've got the first 2 seasons on DVD, and watched season 3 online, religiously! At first I was playing with the idea of starting a "Big Love" fanfic that focused on the teens (they don't get enough air time on the actual show), but then I noticed a few parallels between what Sarah, Benny, and Heather were going through, and what the characters on MSCL went through. Then I thought hey...what if they coexisted?!?! Around the same time I had been entertaining the idea of doing a MSCL fanfic that focused on the boys of Liberty High, since they are often ignored in the fanfic universe. It was originally titled "The Volumeter Chronicles." Eventually I figured I'd kill 2 birds with one stone and merge the two ideas. That's when "Life-Sized Love" was born. When I pitched the idea to ikilledkennyandjr, she wanted to be involved, so we became partners --and have since developed what you see above.

Kenny is awesome. She did the character descriptions for Rickie, Brian, Jordan, and Heather. And the video for Benny. Making videos is actually quite simple. All you need is Windows Movie Maker, which comes with Windows. You just upload music from your desktop and download clips from the internet, or rip your own clips from DVDs you own. I've got tons of fanvids on YouTube you should check out as well. I'M ABSOLUTELY IN LOVE with Leonard Cohen! Which is your favorite song of his?

Oh, and I hate Bill Henrickson's guts. He's such a jerkface. I'm glad you are with me on that. Rhonda will definitely be involved. Kenny wouldn't have it any other way. :P We've got some fun plots brainstormed for her, and I hope to eventually include Adaleen as well. She's one of my favorites. Dude, maybe Mary Kay Place can double up as Camille Cherski and Adaleen Grant?? LOL. Funny you should mention Margie/Jordan tension. Kenny just wrote a rough scene in which Margie and Jordan meet!! It was adorable!

Please do share if you make it to the Paley center!!

Here's the opening credits video I made for Life-Sized Love.
And if you are willing to register on the site, here's our forum for Life-Sized Love at DRtv.

-Cami

P.S. Who are Lily Kane and Mac?

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Apr 15th 2009, 3:16 am

Cami A. wrote:I had been entertaining the idea of doing a MSCL fanfic that focused on the boys of Liberty High, since they are often ignored in the fanfic universe. It was originally titled "The Volumeter Chronicles."
:lol: Love that. So true that the boys often seem to be overlooked in terms of their own stories -- they mostly just exist in their relationships to the girls.
Cami A. wrote:I'M ABSOLUTELY IN LOVE with Leonard Cohen! Which is your favorite song of his?
While I love most of his work, I am obsessed with the New Skin For the Old Ceremony album. Within that album it is so hard to choose. "Is This What You Wanted" "Chelsea Hotel #2" "Who By Fire" "There is a War" are up there, but really, this album is so close to my heart, and so exactly is the soundtrack of lazy days in my freshman dorm (that and Welcome to the Cruel World), that I can't really single one song out from the others. [On a TV show / Leonard Cohen note, there were some great uses of his songs in the early seasons of the L Word -- before that show wacked out and went super crazy and trashy (the first season had such great music moments, then Betty took over (ugh!)). Sorry. I can't hold back from an L Word rant.]
Cami A. wrote:Kenny just wrote a rough scene in which Margie and Jordan meet!! It was adorable!
I'm looking forward to it. Jordan unconsciously (or perhaps consciously) seems to flirt with a lot of people (I've always thought he's a little something with Hallie, and the boys at the dance, and a few times even Rickie), and he doesn't hold back from confronting Patty about her makeup... and given one, how irresistibly vivacious and fantastic Margene is, and two, the weird relationship first season set up between her and Benny, I think something interesting could happen, or almost happen here, even just a fantasy. (Jordan is probably a lot like the boys Margene hung out with when she was in high school (although he is awfully sedate most of the time).)
Cami A. wrote:P.S. Who are Lily Kane and Mac?
I hope to eventually include Adaleen as well. She's one of my favorites. Dude, maybe Mary Kay Place can double up as Camille Cherski and Adaleen Grant?? LOL.
:D Lily Kane and Mac are the characters that Amanda Seyfried and Tina Majorino played on Veronica Mars (Kyle Gallner who played Benny's friend Jason Embry was also on Veronica Mars). Because a lot of MSCL fans are also fans of V. Mars, and this was a cross-over story... anyway, you get it. Good call on Mary Kay Place! I totally overlooked that, and she really could be playing double duty :D
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Cami A.
Catalano

Post by Cami A. » Apr 15th 2009, 3:34 am

Being a child of the information age, (apparently that's what they are calling this generation??) I don't actually have a lot of Cohen albums, I just find songs here and there on the web. My dad and brother were always really into him, but I just got into him within the last year or so. My favorite song at this moment is Letters. I also really love "Famous Blue Raincoat" and "One of Us Cannot Be Wrong" (Did a Rayanne fanvid to that one, here.) I could go on and on, though. I haven't heard of the songs you listed off, so I'll definitely look them up. Now if you tell me you're a Tracy Chapman fan as well, I'll be your BFF! She's god incarnate!
Jody Barsch* wrote:Jordan unconsciously (or perhaps consciously) seems to flirt with a lot of people (I've always thought he's a little something with Hallie, and the boys at the dance, and a few times even Rickie), and he doesn't hold back from confronting Patty about her makeup... and given one, how irresistibly vivacious and fantastic Margene is, and two, the weird relationship first season set up between her and Benny, I think something interesting could happen, or almost happen here, even just a fantasy.
Totally! Jordan most definitely flirts with a lot of people, including Rickie. Have you seen Kenny's fanvid that romantically pairs, or at least implies a pairing between Rickie and Jordan. It's quite masterfully done. Here it is: "Caught In Suspension". About Jordan and Margie: I actually didn't think about that issue right off the bat, but it's definitely believable. I love Margie. She's so cute! She's way too young to be caught up in that domestic mess! Nicki is my favorite wife though! Speaking of the merging of MSCL and Big Love, did you see "He's Just Not That Into You"? It stars Ginnifer Goodwin (Margie), and has some brief appearances by Wilson Cruz. They even have a short conversation with one another!
Jody Barsch* wrote:Lily Kane and Mac are the characters that Amanda Seyfried and Tina Majorino played on Veronica Mars
Ah, I see. I've never watched Veronica Mars. Is it worth watching? I love Tina Majorino & I'd follow Amanda Seyfried anywhere. I starting watching Big Love for her sake.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Apr 15th 2009, 4:22 am

Cami A. wrote:Now if you tell me you're a Tracy Chapman fan as well, I'll be your BFF! She's god incarnate!
I am indeed. When I was in 9th/10th grade, my older sister was obsessed, but I couldn't stand her (I think I was listening to too much Descendents and Weezer), but by the time I got to college I had seen the light. "All That You Have is Your Soul" and "At This Point in My Life" have to be my favorites. I also love "Bang Bang Bang", "If Not Now", "For My Lover" and "For You". I still listen to her first album the most, and don't know any of the songs from her last two albums. You too must love the HBO promo to "Change" (that song+Deadwood+Claire & the Fishers (6 Feet Under) kills me).
Cami A. wrote:Have you seen Kenny's fanvid that romantically pairs, or at least implies a pairing between Rickie and Jordan. It's quite masterfully done. Here it is: "Caught In Suspension".
Loved it. That's so cool. I clearly don't spend enough time on uTube. I also watched the Rayanne and Sharon one -- great use of the color filter to tell the story. It really tells the story she's writing in "Staring at the Sun" (I'm almost finished). You guys should make a thread in the fanfiction forum for all of these links.
Cami A. wrote:I've never watched Veronica Mars. Is it worth watching? I love Tina Majorino & I'd follow Amanda Seyfried anywhere. I starting watching Big Love for her sake.
I love it. Some people I've introduced to it don't get into it, others really find they like it. I do know that when I first bought my dvds, I would come home from work to find my boyfriend watching them. :D

Cami A.
Catalano

Post by Cami A. » Apr 15th 2009, 4:43 am

Jody Barsch* wrote: "All That You Have is Your Soul" and "At This Point in My Life" have to be my favorites. I also love "Bang Bang Bang", "If Not Now", "For My Lover" and "For You". I still listen to her first album the most, and don't know any of the songs from her last two albums. You too must love the HBO promo to "Change" (that song+Deadwood+Claire & the Fishers (6 Feet Under) kills me).
I vaguely remember that "Change" promo. Very nice! I really love all the songs you mentioned, and her first 2 albums are the best. I've also got a live version of "All That You Have is Your Soul" on my computer. If you'd like, I could email it to you! Here's some more YouTube links of mine: this time of the Tracy Chapman variety: My favorite song of hers, "Smoke and Ashes", I made into a Jordan/Angela video; and I did a Rickie video with "Let It Rain." Other favorites of mine are: "In The Dark", "The Love That You Had", "Fast Car", "A Hundred Years", "Across the Lines", "Love's Proof", "Telling Stories", "She's Got Her Ticket", "Never Yours", and "Less Than Strangers."

I've found the V. Mars episodes on YouTube and started watching the Pilot. It seems like a smart show! A bit "Juno"-esque, no? I'd always assumed it was another Gossip Girls type series...as most shows are these days - especially on the once brilliant CW (I miss the days of Gilmore Girls & other significant programming).
Love how she's got the bike gang on her side!

About "Staring Down The Sun": Are you reading the DRtv version? That's the updated one. I've been editing it for her, and some of the earlier chapters are much changed from the fanfiction.net version. She has a whole new scene with Tino, that wasn't originally there.

Cami A.
Catalano

Post by Cami A. » Apr 17th 2009, 3:12 am

Jody,
I just want to say thanks for bringing up Veronica Mars. I just finished watching Season 1, Episode 8: "Like a Virgin," in which we meet Mac for the first time! I LOVE TINA MAJORINO, and I can't wait to see her character get more involved. I really like her portrayal of Mac, almost as much as her portrayal of Heather in Big Love.

Here's a sneak peak of what Life-Sized Love might be like: It's a brief Sarah/Heather scene I wrote a week or so ago. Let me know what you think, if the writing style grabs you. Any suggestions for improvement are welcome!

Sarah Henrickson sat alone on the back steps of Sandy High. She was delaying going home for as long as possible, because once she went home she’d be anything but alone. Maybe she should feel special. After all, she had five brothers and one sister. Anyone would kill for so many friends at arms length, right? But no matter how she tried to look at it, the fact that she had three mothers, all of whom were currently married to her father, made her feel like a freak. His youngest wife, Margene, wasn’t much older than her.

Working at Big Guy Burger was a welcome vacation to the endless chores and babysitting responsibilities that waited for her at home. As the oldest girl of all three branches of Bill Henrickson’s family, she was often stuck with her younger siblings when mom number one, two, and three were all otherwise occupied. At Big Guy Burger she was just a regular teenager, preparing greasy meals for minimum wage and gossiping about regular teenage boys.

Unfortunately for Sarah, it was her day off. She’d told her mom, Barb (her father’s first wife; the one that carried her for nine months), that she had a history project to work on after school. Instead she planned to sit and soak in Utah’s afternoon sunlight in absolute solitude.

“Sarah?”

Sarah cringed at the dent in her coveted silence, and turned to see Heather Tuttle emerging from the building. Heather was Sarah’s closest friend, a raging Mormon, but a nice girl all the same. She hadn’t said it out loud yet, but Sarah knew that Heather knew what she was. Or rather what her parents were… Polygamists. That she knew and didn’t run screaming for the hills was a sufficient test of friendship in Sarah’s opinion.

“Hey.” Sarah said, squinting up at Heather. The sun was high in the sky and peeked around Heather’s head, so that Sarah was temporarily blinded. She sat down next to Sarah, and stared across the sports fields behind the school for a few minutes.

“What are you doing back here?”

“Nothing. Just nothing. I don’t get to do it enough, ya know?”

“I know. After Youth Group, and work, and homework, there’s no time left for anything, but sleep. But I prefer to stay busy. I mean there is so much good we can do out there, through the church, and…” Heather stopped because Sarah was not listening, she was somewhere far away. When reality kicked in she looked at Heather, who immediately resumed her chatter, filling the awkward silence. “You should come with me, to Church, this weekend. You’ll love it!”

“I don’t know. I’m kind of…doing my own thing right now.” Sarah looked around; making sure no one else was around. “Heather, you have to promise me something, okay?” She pointed her head at the ground. “You can’t ever tell another living soul about my family. As far as you know, I have one father and ONE mother.” Heather nodded silently. “Okay?” Sarah prompted her.

“Okay.” Heather said, and Sarah rested her head on Heather’s shoulder. Heather smiled inwardly at the warmth of her friends’ hair on her shoulder. Even though Sarah’s family had a questionable lifestyle, she was the first person that had made Heather feel complete and content in a long time.

Cami A.
Catalano

Post by Cami A. » Apr 19th 2009, 1:35 am

Jody:
Ever notice that the Veronica Mars episode in which Veronica defends Mr. Rooks, a cool history teacher accused of sleeping with a student, has a lot of parallels to a certain episode of My So-Called Life? Hint - Vic Racine, lol.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Apr 26th 2009, 7:44 pm

Nice the connection from the girls' fast food job to Big Guy. It reads exactly like the show -- they had that conversation.

So, I went to the Big Love panel, it was cool, but not everything I hoped it would be. [Three actresses slated to be there were not: Mary Kay Place (I brought my MSCL booklet for her to sign, and was tempted to also bring something from West Wing, Big Chill and Pecker), Ginnifer Goodwin, and Amanda Seyfried (I also had my V. Mars season 1 booklet). Oh well :( Mary Kay Place is filming a movie, no explanation was given for the other two.]

I'm just going to use the character names because that's easier for me. It was the show's two creators, who were way cool and entertaining (which was nice because I've been convinced that they are seriously out to lunch out self-delusional (more on that later)), then Bill, Barb, Nikki, Roman, Lois, and Alby. The interviewer kind of sucked (and she made some weird comment about Chole's short skirt length when she entered the stage, something like "where's your pants?!"). Bill and Jeanne (Barb) seemed to speak the most, but Roman, who struck me as a very odd person, kept interrupting throughout to make comments about how he was dead, he'd been killed off, he wouldn't be on the show anymore, etc. etc. Alby was kind of on an entirely different wave-length than everyone else, and chimed in with a few funny comments. [He was way cool afterwards. He was very chatty and smiley, and took a ton of pictures with people.] Lois was nothing like her character, and she and Roman seem to be cohorts, as does she and Barb.

Some of the things they talked about ... (in no particular order...)
* Ben's story line will pick up again next season (which is good since it was 100% ignored this season)
* They all loved the road trip episode (they talked about how they spent a lot of time together actually on the road trip, and Chloe and Jeanne drove together in Jeanne's Prius -- they had a blast).
* One of the women on stage (I now can't think if it as Chloe, Jeanne, or the interviewer) was really pleased with how they presented the miscarriage, and that it happened in the bathroom over the toilet, as that is how most women actually miscarriage, but it is never shown like that on screen.
* They talked a about the decision to really go for it this seasons and to pack a lot of plot per episode; where they would be in six episodes they wanted it to happen in three. They don;t know exaclty where the show is going now because they have already done everything they originally thought of for the series. (Jeanne spoke about being worried that the audience couldn't keep up with so much plot because they were having trouble doing so, and Chloe said that when they received their scripts there'd be a lot of "Woahs!" etc.)
* The characters don't know where their characters are going until they read the scripts. Alby didn't know he was gay until the first episode we saw it, but he loved that twist -- there will be no roadside bathroom scenes next season we were told. It wasn't mentioned, but I'm sure that's the same for Nikki's new backstory that came out this season.
* There was talk of the opening sequence -- someone at HBO suggested Ice skating, someone The Beach Boys, and then it came together. The producers were happy that audiences were able to make the connection between the opening and the episode in the temple -- the sheet/curtain and the private family planet, etc.
* They talked about Kathy, and that she had originally been hired for one episode (much like Jared Leto), but that she was so good, and so compelling, and looked so great on screen, that they kept her (also like Jared). They loved the death-by-braid, and are happy that there is still her twin sister.
* Surprisingly, no talk of Selma.
* The producers said that season one they were wary of really touching on the religious aspect of these character's lives, they didn't want to seem like they had an opinion, but this season they decided to go for it. They described the second season's theme as empire building -- acquisition -- more stores, more wives, more kids, more money, more power, more more more. Third season explored the question 'What do you fall back on when the foundation of your beliefs is expansion, but that no longer works for you?" -- the answer, apparently, is start the Church of Bill.
* Bill Paxton seemed pretty gross, he said some weird thing about 'we judge what we don't understand' in reference to the Hendrickson marriage, only we do understand it. We've seen it at work (or not work) for three years. We are in every position to judge. He spoke about how he views his character as as a figure from the old west, a pioneer, and he said that he respected him.
* There was a lot of talk of how the show began with the Hendrickson having an "Us" and "Them" mentality -- Us, the good polygamists in the suburbs, and Them, the bad polygamists on the compound, but that that mentality was no longer working.
- How I interpret this, what I was really hoping for people to discuss, is that obviously this mentality isn't working because there is no Us and Them, they are all the same. Bill is a manipulator, and these women are being played. The final episode goes from Roman ranting that he built and created this church, to Bill creating his own church. And on and on and on.
- How they interpret this is that Bill cannot truly consider himself a holy man if he continues to uphold the boundary between is family and the families on the compound -- if he knows somehting is going wrong, it is his duty to intervene.
[I could go on about this topic, connecting it back to what I said at the top of my bad perception of the producers (who my friend feels are the masters behind a huge mind game with the cast, the media, and the show's viewership), but I feel like this post is long enough.]

* Afterwards while people were getting signatures and taking pictures, I told thanked the producers for following up on the story of Don's wives -- the first season in which we see them playing footsies, and the third season in which they run off together. They loved that. They laughed saying that they're bad about letting plot points drop -- Nikki's immense debt (not to mention that burgeoning gambling habit) -- but that sometimes they see something trough like that small moment. My friend gave them kudos for one of the most disturbing television images, and they were anxious tho hear which scene, of course it was the PIG, and again they cracked up. "Wasn't that wonderful?!" They really love their show, which is so great because it seems like so often the people involved in movies and shows don't like them half as much as fans, and then you feel kind of stupid for being a fan.

Afterwards as we walked down Sunset for dinner, we ran into the producers twice, it was the perfect pie invite situation, but we didn't take it. Wrong HBO show. :mrgreen:

Cami, I'm glad you're loving Veronica Mars :D

Cami A.
Catalano

Post by Cami A. » May 22nd 2009, 3:00 am

I thought I'd responded to this thread. Thank you for all the info from the Big Love Paley Center Panel! Sounds very interesting. I'd forgotten about the Niki in debt storyline. They did totally drop it.