Fanfiction Episodes, #20...

Discussion and questions about the FanFiction section of MSCL.com. You can also post excerpts of your unfinished stories here if you're looking for feedback or ideas.
Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Apr 8th 2006, 2:01 am

Ok, here is the completed version of episode 22. Wow, it's been a really long time!
So, about this episode ... I am simultaneously dissatisfied and amused with it. It definitely seems to slip into a farce in the later portion. Characters say “I gotta go” about 6 times, Brian runs from one conversation to the next, and Angela is in the dark about everything. I had some trouble with the title, so I thought I’d try something a-la Freaks and Geeks (although I’m not sure how well it actually fits). If you look, there’s also an homage to Shag in there somewhere.
Last edited by Jody Barsch* on Apr 8th 2006, 2:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Apr 8th 2006, 2:13 am

#22 WAITING and CONTEMPLATING

DAY 1

[Angela she walks into her bedroom from the bathroom, on the cordless phone with Sharon as she gets ready for school. This conversation remains upbeat]
A: --no, --[closing her door and lowering her voice] Sharon, nothing happened; we didn’t do anything. [Her voice regains its normal level] But, it’s definitely becoming more of a thing, you know? –No, it’s not like that. Yet. –Yeah, but– –But isn’t it too, soon? --We are. --It is. –I do.– [Angela speaks in a more wistful tone] Yeah, I do think I want to… But I also want the option not to. –Well, yeah, I know I have it; but I want him to recognize that I have it. –Yeah, he does. I mean, I want him to want me to have that option-- [she’s frustrated with herself and this conversation] Never mind, [she starts busying around the room getting her things ready for school] I don’t even know what I’m saying anymore. I’ve been talking about just this one thing for way too long. God, when did this become the center of everything? [She stops now, and pauses to reflect] It’s just-- It seems like it could all be easier. [Changes her tone again] Forget it. --Yeah, I’ll see you later. [Angela hangs up the phone, tosses it back on her bed, scurries for a few items on her floor and stuffs them in her backpack, then stand and looks around (she is missing something) she pushes through a clutter of stuff on her dresser – she doesn’t find whatever she was looking for, but she pulls out something else she came across – the letter. She scans it quickly, makes a slight face, looks out her bedroom window to the Krakow’s, then shoves the letter into a drawer, glances into the mirror, quickly flips her hair and pinches her cheeks, and then she’s gone.]

[Brian is walking down a semi-crowded hallway and sees Angela walking in his direction; he is not quite sure how to act, and so stops and pretends to search through his messenger bag for something. Angela studies him thoughtfully and approaches tentatively.]
A: Hey Brian.
B: Hey. I was just, um, I can’t find my camera.
A: Sorry.
B:
[Brian relaxes a bit, happy to be having this casual conversation with Angela, taking it as encouragement that they will be able to be friends] Well, it’s not, you know, a big deal or anything, I just won’t be able to take any pictures, [clarifying] for the yearbook.
A:
[indicating past Brian, down the hall to the tutoring room, she asks awkwardly] Going?
B: Uh, I’m not sure. Maybe. I’ll probably take the late bus today.
A:
[She nods. Pause] Have a good weekend?
B: Huh? Uh, yeah, pretty good.
[He catches himself with a smile a bit too big] Nothing, [Brian sees Rayanne and gets a little distracted] you know, special, [he brings his focus back to Angela] or anything.
A:
[Angela glances in the direction Brian had been looking, spots Rayanne (who’s noticed neither Brian nor Angela), and addresses Brian] I’ll see you later Brian. [She walks away and Brian’s left in the hall, in between the girls. Both walking away from him.]

[Jordan and Brian are at tutoring. They are working separately, sitting across from each other, Brian may be acting a little goofy, maybe kind of smiling, looking up like he might want you tell Jordan something and then looking down. Jordan is studying him skeptically, amused, ‘what is this kid doing?’ Jordan lets it go, then kind of leans forward in his chair to ask Brian a question in confidence]
J: What do you do Brain? Uh, never mind, [he sinks back in his chair, Brian ignores this. Jordan leans forward again, looking around cautiously] What do you do when, a girl, [giving up pretense] Angela, doesn’t—
B:
[Looking up, getting Jordan’s drift] Doesn’t --?
J:
[Sinking back in his seat a little defeated] Yeah.
B: Why are you asking me?
[Jordan looks at him as though it is obvious why he would ask Brian what you do if a girl doesn’t want to sleep with you.]
B: Oh. Right. I get it. Thanks a lot. [Jordan keeps looking at him intently waiting for an answer, he hasn’t meant any harm, and now that he has raised the question, he is expecting an honest answer.]
B: [Starting out slowly] Well, ah, have you,-- [Changing his tone as if he has just realized something] So then you and Angela, haven’t, ever--
J:
[Jordan gets up abruptly,] Forget it, [turns back to Brian, sternly] Don’t say anything.
[Brian shakes his head, with the slightest trace of a smile; Jordan leaves the room, kind of pushing a desk out of his way.]

[Patty and Camille shopping or at lunch talking about whether she should be worried – the scene begins in the middle of their conversation]
P: Should I be worried? I mean, if he’s telling me she’s there…
C: Right. If he’s not telling you she’s there, and you find out she is -
P: Exactly, then he’d be hiding something. Ah, what’s the matter with me? They’re business partners, they’re going to be seeing a lot of each other.
C: But then, this wasn’t a business dinner.
P: Neil was there. He’s being honest and I’m being suspicious. Not to mention paranoid.
C: Well, I don’t know. You hear all those women saying that whatever the husbands admit to, they have done something twice as worse.
[Patty sighs]

[The bell rings, Angela is walking through the school parking lot towards the buses. Jordan is standing in a group of guys, he sees her walk by and he kind of punches one of them a goodbye and walks to catch up with her. (Angela is wearing her gray skirt and black tights with boots [New Years Episode] and her purple sweater) ]
J: Hey Angela.
A: Hey.
J: Need a ride?
A:
[She glances ahead of her to the bus for a moment, but then smiling focus on Jordan] Sure. [They walk to his car and he opens the door for her, Angela reaches across to unlock his door, watching him walk behind the car through the rear window.]

[Rickie steps off of a bus and walking down a street and slowly walking by Pride House. He has no intention of going in, but something has been eating at him, and he feels compelled to find out what kind of a place might be waiting for him. He isn’t nervous or hostile, or even contemplative. He is just watching. It’s a big old house, looks nicely kept … He stands across the street for a while, partially hidden by a kiosk (papered with fliers with fluttering cut-off tags at the ends). Teenagers, some younger than Rickie, some older, begin occasionally approaching, obviously returning from school. Rickie waits a bit longer, but when one of the young men casts a glance in Rickie’s direction, he shrinks and walks away.]

[Sitting in Jordan’s car in front of her house, Angela and Jordan are making out, his arm is around the back of her seat. She pulls back slightly.]
Angela: Do you want to come in? [Jordan hesitates, looking around] You don’t have to—
Jordan: Yeah, okay.
A: Okay.
[They get out of the car and he follows her up the front steps, he holds her waist and kisses her neck while she fishes her keys out of her backpack. She opens the door and he walks through the door and walks to the base of the stairs, looking around as she closes the door and puts down her stuff.] Hungry? [She walks into the kitchen.]
J: [Looking curiously up the stairs.] Uh-huh. [Follows her into the kitchen.]

[Patty, back at work, is on the phone with Camille. Patty is still doing work around her office as she chats.]
P: Maybe we should go out more. We were in such a rut for a while-- I thought Graham opening the restaurant would help things, you know give him confidence--
C: You mean, keep him from making any more excuses about sitting around waiting for his adult life to really start.
P: Anyway, maybe he doesn’t feel like I’m changing enough. Like, I’m the same person I was eleven years ago, no new interests or pursuits, just a shorter haircut and more defined wrinkles. Oh, God. Camille, am I boring? Is Graham just tragically bored with me? Eh! Listen to me; I never dreamed I’d live to be having the kinds of conversations I’ve been having lately.
C: Patty, it isn’t you. And we don’t even know if anything is happening anyway. Graham is just,
[searching] finding his way right now.
P:
[who has stopped all her bustling around the office and is really looking at it all from a new perspective now, she has detached herself from it] Yeah, maybe.

[Jordan is seated at the kitchen counter and Angela is leaning across the opposite side of the counter. She is pealing an orange and Jordan is eating cereal.]
Jordan: Yeah, so the car was like my uncle’s, but I bought it from him when I got my license and fixed it up.
Angela: So like, how did you have the money? I mean, to buy a car? I have, literally, no money. My parents opened a savings account for me when I was nine,
[trailing off] but it’s like for college or something.
J: Well, I’ve been working since I was thirteen.
A: Really?
[Takes a long bite of orange] Doing what?
J: Uh, first at a liquor market where my uncle’s friend was the manager, stocking and whatever. Then I cleared tables, bussing and stuff for a little while at a pool hall, you know, the one over on Carver? But I’ve been working at the garage since I was fifteen, I had to lie about my age though.
[He continues to eat, then looks up smiling.] So what about you?
A: I’ve never had a job. Well, babysitting. Does that count? My parents think it will interfere with school or something.
J:
[He throws a piece of orange peel at her.] Yeah, but when are you gonna learn to drive?
A:
[Laughing, she throws a piece back at him.] Shut up. [He reaches up and kisses her. The kitchen door opens behind Angela and she turns and sees Danielle, holding her backpack straps high on her back. Jordan goes back to leaning against the counter, moving his spoon around in his bowl]
Danielle: Hi.
A: Danielle, why don’t you go upstairs?
D:
[Staring at Jordan who is now playing with his soggy cereal.] No. I’m hungry. [She goes to the refrigerator.]
A: You can take it to your room.
D: Duh. We’re not allowed to eat upstairs.
A: Danielle.
J: We can go upstairs.
D: Boy’s aren’t allowed upstairs.
A: Danielle.
[Danielle takes out popsicle and goes into the living room.]
A: [Angela turns back to Jordan, in an annoyed voice] My little sister.
J: Oh.
[Standing up and walking right up to her. Smiling.] So, I’m not allowed upstairs?
A: Uh, my parents have, all these rules …
J:
[Leaning in close and speaking low stroking her arms.] Can’t I even see your room, [kisses her] you know, … for a little while? [He gives her a mischievous look. Danielle walks in again and stares at them. Angela’s posture changes in her sister’s presence. Jordan whispers in Angela’s ear,] Listen, I don’t have to leave for work for like another hour, you can come over to my place --
A:
[Not quite sure she should] Okay.

[Rickie returns to Mr. Katimpski’s apartment. He stands momentarily at the door, hesitating, beginning to entertain the possibility that he doesn’t belong here… Mr. Katimpski is behind him in the hallway, approaching carrying a full grocer’s bag. He doesn’t notice that Rickie was standing outside the apartment rather than entering it. As Katimpski walks past him to open the door for them, he absently tenderly puts a hand on Rickie’s shoulder.]
K: Good, you’re home. I was feeling like Italian tonight, maybe a little manicotti. I, uh, bought some canollis … [the scene ends as Katimpski enters the apartment talking of dinner. Rickie follows and shuts the door. The greeting and gentle touch was a small thing to Katimpski, who did them with little thought, but they were not small to Rickie. He enters the apartment not with relief, but the comfort of feeling genuinely welcomed.]

[Angela follows Jordan through his house to his bedroom. There is no outside shot of the house, but the camera follows her eyes around the house. The walls are kind of yellow-gray with faded wallpaper, most of the furniture is old, mostly from the sixties. Things are in disarray. There are beer bottles and old glasses around. Clutter on the floor to step over. The kitchen counters are full with dirty dishes. The floors are worn wood, and the walls are basically bare although there are a series of shelves on one wall with a lot of old bottles (not alcoholic) and knick-knacks and things on them. There is a TV.]
AVO: Jordan Catalano’s house, like, completely suited him. It was an old two bedroom house built for like, World War II veterans. It might have looked nice once, but now it just looked tired. Not really dirty, so much as, worn out. The whole house seemed to be kind of leaning to one side. Like it was exhausted from having so many things happen in it. Jordan lived there alone with his father.
J: Sorry, if it’s like, messy.
A: No.
[His room consists of a full bed on box springs, but no head boards, a small table by his bed, an old wardrobe and a small cluttered set of shelves. There is an old clock radio, his guitars, a harmonica, some photographs, a copy of Of Mice and Men, a baseball cap, a stereo, a turn table and a pile of old records on the floor. His bed is unmade and there are clothes on the floor and a pair of boots, but his room is not really messy, rather there just isn’t enough stuff to make it messy. (Possibly some posters on the wall, bands, beer, girls??) He doesn’t own a lot of stuff. He starts making-out with her.]
J: Come here. [He pulls her down onto the bed with him. They are kissing. Then his hand moves down, over her chest, down to her hips, slowly reaching up her skirt. Angela takes a deep breath and moves her hand to his and holds it, bringing it back up to her waist.]
J: [In between kisses] What?
A: Nothing.
[She rolls onto her side with her back facing him, both of her hands under her cheek, but no pillow. He moves closer to her, almost spooning her as he softly touches her hair and kisses her neck and her ear.]
J: Look, Angela, its okay, if it doesn’t happen. [In a lower voice] The sex stuff I mean. I’m, I’m not saying I don’t want to. But, --
A:
[Turning back towards him, softly says] Kiss me. [They kiss.]

[Later, Jordan has dropped Angela off at her house, and she is taking her time walking to the door. She moves to take in the garbage cans from the street. Brian is setting up his telescope in his front yard (but definitely NOT directed anywhere near the Chase house). When he sees her he looks over toward her, stops, hesitates, then turns back to the telescope. He hears her cluttering with the trash cans to bring them in, he lifts his eyes and straightens up from the telescope a bit, but he does not turn to look at her. As Angela has been bringing in the trash cans she steals some glances towards Brian. This time, as she returns to the curb for the second to last can, she lingers there. Brian senses that she is standing there, and he casually addresses her]
B: Hey Chase.
A: Hi. What’ve you been looking at?
B:
[Quickly] Nothing. I’m just setting it up now. [Pause]
A: [She considers her words before she says them, so when she speaks, it comes out kind of awkward and preplanned] Gonna help? [Brian casually crosses the street and grabs another can as she starts dragging hers to the side of the house. As Brian drags the can, he searches for something to say] So, I’m uh, still tutoring, Jordan, Catalano.
A:
[Swallowing,] I know, he told me.
B: Oh, yeah, that like, makes sense.
[They’ve finished the task, but Brian s struggling to fit the lid back onto his trashcan; and she crouches down to use the hose to quickly rinse her hands] That, you know, you guys talk, about ... stuff. What other stuff do you guys like, talk about?
A:
[She looks up] Huh?
B:
[She stands, wiping her hands on her pants, and moves to walk back towards the driveway] I mean, I mean, do guys talk about stuff?
A:
[She stops and turns, she’s caught his meaning] Brian!
B: Well, it’s just that, I remember you saying that you felt pressured, before, to do, you know, um, stuff.
A: Its fine.
B: Really?
A:
[Turning to directly face him] Did Jordan say something to you, about me?
B: What? No. Like what? I mean, I was just asking, out of my own concern, but, you know, not that there is anything to be concerned about,
[quickly] not that there isn’t anything either. [Angela’s had enough, she walks away and goes inside, leaving Brian in her front yard, still holding the lid to her trashcan.]

G:
[In the downstairs hallway] Patty!
D:
[Coming out of the kitchen eating a pear] She’s doing laundry. [Graham absently pats Danielle as she walks by]
G: [Slight time lapse -- Graham is coming down the basement stairs] Patty?
P: Hi.
[She drops the wash from her hands, and then swiftly runs her hands through her hair]
G: I think I found a really good deal on a new water heater.
P: Oh, good.
G: I was talking to a guy at Triangle Hardware, and he gave me the name of—
P: You know,
[she shifts her stance to be more upbeat] I’m not really in the mood, for home improvement talk right now. [She hasn’t said this rudely, and so cutting him off mid-sentence hasn’t really dampened the conversation—Graham takes no offense.]
G: Fine. [Sorting through the clean laundry for a shirt] So how was your day?
P: Fine.
[She makes a face to herself after she says this – regretting giving such a standard reply]
G: Good. [gives her an absentminded hug] I’m going to take a shower. Should I cook tonight?
P:
He’s heading back up the stairs] I will. [As he goes up the stairs he finds a pair of socks caught to the shirt he grabbed, and tosses them back to Patty.]

[Later that night, Angela, wearing pajamas, is in her room getting ready for bed. She stops in front of the mirror, holds her shirt bunched in one hand, exposing her waist and stomach. She turns sideways in the mirror and inspects her figure, pats her stomach with her free hand, and then turns to inspect her rear. She turns back to the mirror, looking closely. Unsatisfied, she runs her fingers through her hair to give it volume. She flips her head down and then back up and re-inspects her hair. She pulls it back and up, holding it in a high ponytail. After a few beats she lets her hair fall back in place. She again pulls her shirt tight, this time holding the excess fabric behind her back. She turns sideways again and studies her chest, slightly arching her back. She makes a slight face, releases her shirt, relaxes her shoulders, then crosses the room to shut off the lights. Walking to her bed she passes her window seat and glances out. Brian is in his front yard looking at the stars through his telescope – his back facing the Chase house. Angela pauses at her window and watches.]
Last edited by Jody Barsch* on Apr 10th 2006, 6:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Apr 8th 2006, 2:19 am

DAY 2

[At school, we hear the bell ring, and students walking down the hallway. We get pieces of conversations, but there is no focus on any particular students. (Among them, we do see the three girls who we see later in the episode.) The girls’ bathroom door opens and Angela and Sharon exit, laughing slightly from a conversation they had been having. Jordan is leaning against the wall by the door, Angela doesn’t notice him as she walks out, but he takes her by the wrist/hand and pulls her towards him. Sharon gives him a look.]
S: I’ll see you in Homeroom. [Angela smiles, and Sharon continues down the hall.]
J: [Coolly] Hey.
J:
[Leaning his forehead down towards hers, looking into her eyes intensely and then shutting his eyes] You’re driving me crazy. [Whispered intensely] Angela-
Friend: Catalano.
[Jordan opens his eyes and pulls away a little, turning his head one way before turning to face his friend.] Tino’s waiting for us in the parking lot. [The friend looks kind of annoyed,] Let’s go, [he turns away a little to wait while Jordan leaves.]
J: [Looking around, a little distant, then focuses his eyes back on her face] I gotta go. [Now in a softer tone] Look, meet me later all right? [He coolly slips out from in between her and the wall and walks down the hall with his friend following.]

[A locker slams. Brian steps away from his locker with a sigh. Brian walks down the hall and sees Rayanne and a guy (the visual opposite of everything that is Brian) making out. As he continues walking Brian watches. He is not jealous, or hurt, or disgusted, just intrigued. He is holding his camera. Brian is obviously staring, and is still looking after he’s passed them. A passing guy confronts Brian abruptly.]
G: Get a good look Krakow?
B:
[flustered] Uh, I wasn’t, uh – [Brian walks away and the guy and maybe a few onlookers chuckle. Rayanne may or may not be watching Brian’s back as he walks to the end of the hall and turns the corner.]

[Jordan and his friend are smoking and walking in the parking lot to his car, they clearly planning on leaving campus, when Mr. Demitri approaches them.]
Mr. D: Gentleman. Hey, Trudenowski, Catalano – where do you think you’re going? [The boys turn and face him]
T: [very casual – no big deal, mock innocence] Just goin’ to get something to eat.
Mr. D: Yeah? Well check your watch Trudenowski, there’s four and half hours left before 3:00.
T: Oh, I know, but you see, we’re just so hungry. We were up all last night working on our science project.
Mr. D: Getting stoned is not a science project Mr. Trudenowski. I shouldn’t have to remind you two that this is a tobacco free school, and a closed campus to underclassmen. That’s you Catalano. Jeff get to class, Jordan, take a trip to the AP’s office.

[Sharon and Rayanne are sitting, facing each other, one leg on each side of the bench, in the locker room, dressing for PE. Sharon is going about her business, dressing, applying deodorant, etc. Rayanne seems like she has something to say, but she wants it to come out casually]
R: You have a ‘type’, right?
S: A type? Oh, you mean, like I’m a spirit bunny goody-two-shoes right?
R:
[giving a funny look and then continuing] No, like white-out for brains brawny preppy boys. Kyle, is your type.
S: Oh. I don’t know, I guess.
R: Right, Brain-dead pretty-boy cretins is your type, that Delia girl goes for lost causes, we all know Angela Chase’s type.
[pausing to suck on a ring pop and to form an idea]
S: Yeah, so?
R: Would you ever be with somebody who isn’t your type.
S: I don’t know.
[thinking about this] But doesn’t being attracted to them make them your type?
R: You think so?
S: Wait, didn’t you tell me you didn’t believe in types?
R: I said I didn’t have one.
S: So…
R: What?
S: Wait, now I’m confused.
[starts walking towards the exit] Why are we even talking about this?
R:
[averts her eyes] No reason. [she pops the sucker back in her mouth and walks with Sharon to the gym. Simultaneously: Angela comes around from behind some lockers. She is just entering, she hasn’t been listening, but she does see them walking out together in a very friendly manner. When she sees them she steps back a bit so as not to be seen, even though their backs are to her. Angela, with an odd expression, watches after them until her thoughts are disrupted by a nearby conversation she overhears. Three girls one locker row over are talking as they dress out.]
Girl 1:I mean, have you seen her?
Girl 2: Seen who?
Girl 3: Angela Chase with Jordan Catalano.
Girl 2: Angela Chase and Jordan Catalano?
Girl 1: I know. Who does she think she is?
Girl 3: Can we say, reality check?
Girl 2: What does he see in her?
Girl 1&3: Sex.
Girl 2: Angela Chase? No way.
Girl 1: Oh yeah, they’ve been doing it all year, even when he was with Stacey.
Girl 2: That is so low. But wait, didn’t he sleep with Rayanne Graff?
Girl 1: Yeah, and that’s Angela’s best friend.
Girl 2: Oh my god!
Girl 3: I know, get some self-respect.
Girl 2: And she always acts so innocent.

[Jordan is sitting in the assistant principal’s office. He is slouched down in his chair. They have been sitting there for a little while.]
AP: Jordan, what are you doing here?
J: I don’t know.
AP: Yes you do.
J:
[rolls his eyes] Look, I wasn’t off campus.
AP: Oh come on, you’re off campus more than our part-time staff. And the smoking, not to mention cutting class… Jordan, I’m not seeing any improvement in your behavior.
[Jordan doesn’t respond – he’s just waiting this whole meeting out] You know what you’re doing don’t you? You’re asking me to transfer you. You’re begging me to send you to continuation. [Jordan perks just a bit] That’s what you want right? One classroom, all day long, locked campus, endless worksheets and packets, no more Phys. Ed., no more Shop. Sounding good? [Jordan looks away] Oh, I know, all you’re buddies are there, lower performance expectations, no one will hassle you too much about wasted potential, but Jordan [he waits to continue until Jordan is looking at him] that’s what it would be. But if you want to go there, if that’s what you want, say the word, I’ll fill out the paperwork. [Jordan’s eye contact falls away and he is blankly studying the bookshelves] But I gotta tell you— [Jordan looks back] you step out our doors, you go to continuation, you’re one huge step closer to dropping out all together. You want to live the rest of your life off that gas station salary of yours? [pause, Jordan doesn’t speak. The AP stands] ordan, I want you to think about what you’re jeopardizing when you make the decision to not take this place seriously. Start showing me you care about something.

[Brian is walking down the hallway carrying his flute case. As he walks, he passes by Rayanne, he is watching her and she catches his gaze, raises her eyebrows in a confrontational manner, he looks away and continues quickly down the hall. This all happens very quickly. The school bell rings which transitions us into the next scene]

[The school bell rings, Angela is sitting on the bleachers by herself. In the far background you can see students leaving campus at the end of the day. Jordan momentarily comes up and takes a seat]
J: What’re you doing over here? [he waits for an answer but she does not respond] I thought you were meeting me at my car? [he nudges her good naturedly and lifts his eyebrows to say, “What’s going on?”]
A: Nothing. I just didn’t feel like waiting in the parking lot.
J:
[Jordan lights a cigarette] So what’s going on?
[Jordan looks at her from the corner of his eyes as he exhales, as if to say “c’mon, what is it?”] I just heard some people talking today.
J: And?
A: Nothing. It’s stupid. Forget it.
J:
[smoking] What did they say?
A:
[she takes the lighter from his hands and fingers it, lighting and relighting it] I don’t want to talk about it.
J: Something about you?
A: Uh-huh.
J: Like what?
[Pause, she doesn’t say anything] People talk Angela; it doesn’t mean anything. [Her lips kind of quiver, Jordan switches his cigarette to the other hand and puts an arm around her, kind of tucking her hair out of her face with his free hand]
A: [she takes a breath] I guess I’m just tired of it you know? All the talk about, us. [She says “us” kind of uncomfortably]
J: [Jordan looks down at her slightly surprised. Takes another drag] What do you mean? [she halfway looks up at him but doesn’t answer] You mean like if we’re having sex?
A: It’s not just that. You know, it’s “why are they together”, “why is he with her”, stuff about other girls, and then there’s the stuff about—
J: Rayanne Graff?
[Angela nods]
J: Look, Angela, …
A: No, I’m sorry I brought it up. Listen, forget it.
J: It doesn’t mean anything. Don’t care about it.
[he moves in to kiss her]
A: What about your friends?
J:
[he moves back] What about them?
A: What do they say -- about us?
[She still says “us” kind of uncomfortably]
J: What d’you mean? Nothing. Why? What d’your friends say?
J: So, then?
[again he moves in to kiss her. She lets him kiss her but she doesn’t really kiss him back. He pulls back and studies her face] Do you need me to say it? [she doesn’t move. He takes a last drag off his cigarette for effect, tosses it, exhales, and speaks] I like you Angela. I like being with you, I like thinking about you, I don’t like fighting with you [she smiles], but it’s a hell of a lot better than some things. I’m not thinking about any other girls, I’m not looking at any other girls, and [pause] I am glad things with us are okay now. [He has finished and is now looking at her with an open blank expression] Now, when I kiss you, I want you to kiss me back[b/] [he takes her face in his hands and kisses her as she does the same.] Let’s get out of here.

[Brian sits in the empty band room, piecing together his flute and rubbing it with a velvet cloth. Rayanne, walking down the hallway, spies him, stops, and nimbly kind of hops backwards to peak her head into the doorway to watch him.]
R: Working your instrument?
B:
[Brian looks up with big eyes] Uh, [he looks away, around the room, stumped for something to say, not quick with the witty quips, puns and innuendos]
R: [Rayanne hesitates, she momentarily looses control of the situation. There is a moment when she asks herself, if she is going to pursue this, if she is going to be controlling and domineering, or open up… she momentarily strikes a pose but then just as quickly moves out of into a more natural stance and dialogue – she isn’t going to project a sultry persona for him, and instead, makes a self-conscious attempt to move things forward] Uh, need some help… [She flashes a smile. Brian looks directly at her, again with wide eyes. She steps into the room. She seems a little awkward, she doesn’t keep her eyes on him, and is kind of inwardly laughing at herself. Still looking into the room, she reaches behind her and slowly closes the door, Brian slightly and almost undetectably bites his lip and blushes.]

[Possibly a new scene to be added here. Maybe transitioning from the end of the school day to evening, maybe giving Graham’s scene some context…]

[Graham has stopped in at a bar, and has been sitting at a table for a while. There is almost empty pint of ale where he sits, but he hasn’t come in to drink, or to socialize, he’s sitting there making business plans and is caught up in the project. On the table there is paper work, a legal pad, prospective folders, etc… After a pause to think and take a drink from his glass, Graham returns to the pad and begins writing notes fervently. On the top of the legal pad we see that he has scrawled “restaurant plans”. Amidst his writing he stops a server]
G: Hey, uh, could I get another? [He handles his glass, then looks up and calls after the server] Uh, coffee?
[Simultaneous Scene: Hallie stands outside the restaurant space, maybe with one or two other people who may be getting involved with the restaurant. She checks her watch, smiles, looks up and down the street, smiles…]
[Simultaneous Scene: Chase house – Patty is in the living room cleaning out and reorganizing the bookshelves. Danielle comes in with her hockey helmet on and kind of lunges/collapses on the back of the couch, just to the side of her mother]
D: Where’s dad?
P:
[Caught in her own thoughts] I’m not sure.
D: ‘You’re not sure?’
P: No. I mean, Daddy’s at work.
D: Humph!
P:
[She looks over her shoulder at Danielle] Why are you wearing that?
D:
[getting a tad on the whiny side] Dad’s supposed to help me with my slap shot.
P: Well, sweaty, it’s getting late, you can’t practice tonight.
D:
[straightening up] But dad said.
P:
[she puts down whatever she was working on] I know, but I don’t think he imagined he’d be home so late. [She rises and as she walks by she taps the top of Danielle’s helmet with one finger] Take off the helmet. And wash your hands; it’s time for dinner.
D: You didn’t say please.
P: Please.
[Walking out of the room into the kitchen] And set the table, please.
D: Where’s Angela?
[No response] It’s not fair, everyone else gets to do what they want.
P:
[Cut to Patty in the kitchen, holding a casserole in hot pads, kind of abandons her resolve, puts it down where she is, and sighs.] Well, when you’re older— [she catches a glimpse of herself in the reflection of the kitchen window or the microwave or something (this is only for a moment before it cuts back to Danielle)]
D: I’m not taking my helmet off [back to Patty, who shakes herself back from self-inspection] Fine. [She glances quickly at the clock, and then looks emptily around the kitchen.]
[The scene cuts back to Hallie sitting on the edge of the fountain alone in the restaurant. She’s sitting, glances at her watch, then raises her head and looks around the space.]

[At Louis’, or something like it – it is crowded, there are people drinking, talking, whatever… Maybe Jordan is in the parking lot, or somewhere outside, on a back patio or something… Jordan is standing alone with a cigarette and a bottle of beer, a girl approaches. As she speaks to him, he continues to take swigs from his beer and drags of his cigarette.]
Girl: Hey Jordan.
J:
[keeps smoking – not that interested, but still carrying on a conversation] Hey.
G: So is it true?
J: Is what true?
G: I heard somewhere that you’re, like, with that Chase girl, what’s her name? Angela?
J: Yeah?
[Jordan is not engaged in the conversation, he is going along with it. He isn’t checking her out so much as he is just observing the scene]
G: Yeah. So, is it true? Cuz you know, [she moves in closer] if you ever want to like- hang out, I’m available. Maybe we could, [Rayanne walks nearby, watching what he is doing – it I unclear whether Jordan has seen her or not]
J: Look, I gotta go. [As Jordan walks away from the girl Rayanne catches up with him as he reenters the building; she starts walking with him through the narrow hallway past the kitchen and restrooms leading back to the front room.]
R: Catalano.
J: What?
[Slightly annoyed]
R: Just wondering, you ever get tired of talking to every girl besides your girlfriend? [they are now walking through Louis’ moving past people] I mean, Angela’s not here right? You didn’t invite her did you? [Angela shows up behind her. She’s not quite sure what’s being said. She stares at Rayanne blankly, not hostile, just waiting for her to leave. Rayanne looks a little awkward and Jordan looks indifferent. Rayanne slips into her silly mode] Just making sure [she pats Angela on the shoulder and moves to walk away, Jordan turns his attention elsewhere and Angela turns to address Rayanne]
A: I don’t need you to look out for me. [Not quite satisfied so she adds] I know where that gets me.
R: Whatever Chase. … Look, I said I was sorry.
A:
[Turning coldly away] No. You didn’t.
R:
[She stands there for a second] Fine. [Then leaves. Angela turns towards Jordan who has sidled a few steps off and who is rubbing his wrist across his forehead, very slowly, but very hard. He doesn’t speak, just waits for her response, she stands there looking at him, running through all her responses in her mind, then sighs as if to give up, and slowly shakes her head as she eventually speaks]
A: I don’t even [pause] I don’t even want to deal with it. [She walks away, and Jordan watches her with a raised eyebrow of slight surprise, and then drinks his beer shifting his attention elsewhere.]

[Patty is in bed rubbing lotion on her hands, Graham is walking around getting ready for bed – he has just take a shower.]
G: [From the bathroom, sticking his head out into the bedroom] Listen, sorry about getting home kind of late tonight. [Patty shrugs to indicate that it was no big deal] I really feel like I’ve hit some momentum with this.
P: That must feel great.
G:
[from the bathroom] It really does. [with toothbrush and toothpaste in mouth, stepping out from bathroom] So, how’s the expansion going, the new layout printers making a difference?
P: Yeah, it’s –
[catching herself] You know, I don’t really feel like talking about work – [This slightly surprises Graham]
D: [Danielle pops her head in the room, looking directly at Graham] Angela’s not home yet. [they both look at her]
G: She’s not home yet? [looks to Patty] It’s late. It’s a school night, isn’t it?
P: Goodnight Danielle.
D: She’s—
P: Danielle, go to bed.
[back in the bathroom, Graham spits, rinses his mouth, then climbs into bed.]
G: She’s with Jordan? This late on a school night?
P: Sometimes I get tired of arguing.
G: It’s not just you against her.
P:
[putting the lotion on the night table, and scooching down in bed, and turning on her side] Sometimes it feels that way. [she isn’t saying this to attack him or anything, she’s just speaking to him]
G: [gesturing with the alarm clock as he is setting it, referring to Angela] Does this worry you? Shouldn’t this worry us? – The late hours with her Jim Stark boyfriend I mean.
P:
[chuckles] You think of Jordan Catalano as James Dean?
G: Well, he’s certainly without a cause.
[Patty, still lying on her side, looks over her shoulder and smiles at Graham.] Seriously, we should talk to her.
P: You’re a good man.
[Graham grins, reaches and turns out the light as Patty turns back to face him and he reaches his arms around her.]

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Apr 10th 2006, 4:13 am

DAY 3

[Next morning, Graham and Patty are eating breakfast, Danielle huffs in and blows off Patty.]
G: [cocks and eyebrow to Patty, and leans in, saying in a low conspiring voice so Danielle does not hear] What’s this about? Angela?
P: About her being mad at me for you not following through on practicing hockey with her.
G: Oh! I completely forgot! How’d you get the blame for that?
P: Graham, I’m the mother of two adolescent girls; I get the blame for everything.
[Graham chuckles and kisses her on the head. Angela enters in her robe.]
G: Morning.
A:
[Angela mumbles a very lackluster] Hey. [the parents exchange looks]
G: Where were you last night?
A: With Jordan.
G: That’s who, not where. And that seems to be pretty much a given.
P:
[moving away from Graham to pour some juice] Listen, Angela, we think you’ve been staying out much too late recently.
A:
[steady voice, not getting drawn in] What do you mean? I’m always home by curfew. [the parents exchange looks]
P: Well, maybe you’re seeing a bit too much of Jordan.
A: Why are you saying this?
G: We’re not—we’re not telling you to stop seeing him.
A: Well, good.
P: It’s just, we’re, concerned, about the amount of time you’re spending together, alone.
A: You’re kidding.
[she looks at them flatly] You still don’t trust me.
G: No, it isn’t a matter of not trusting you.
[he looks at Patty] We hardly ever see you. [he jokingly squeezes her chin with one hand, trying to lighten her up] We’re starting to forget what you look like.
A:
[Not accepting Graham’s playing] Look who’s talking. [they look at her, she realizes she just seriously pressed her luck with her sass. She diverts her eye contact, and changes her position to physically move away from what she said] Never mind. Sorry. [she puts down her plate and mug and walks towards the door]
G: Where are you going?
AVO:
[turning slowly to face her parents] When parents start to feel that they are loosing their control over a conversation, they always ask you where you’re going. They still have the illusion that they have the power of veto.
A:
[she says it a little as though it is self-evident, but is careful not to say it with too much attitude] Jordan’s picking me up for school. [They are still looking at her, waiting for something. After a beat she slowly concedes a nod] I’ll come home early. [She exits and Patty raises an eyebrow to Graham.]
AVO: All they really have is the power to influence whether you tell them the truth or not.
G:
[kind of laughing] That went well.
P:
[leaving the kitchen as well] You know, she has a point. [Graham lifts his eyes]

[Brian in his bedroom getting ready for school. He is in his bathroom, with a towel wrapped around his waste. He looks in the mirror studying himself. He puts deodorant on. He looks at his profile. He momentarily flexes. He does a cool guy’s head toss, then walks into his bedroom to dress. He’ll go through several outfits – the funny thing is that he’ll end up with any old typical Brian outfit, altogether looking exactly the same as he does any day.]

[Brian stealthily leaves the boiler room and as he turns the corner he sees Angela coming in his direction. Brian pauses, glances behind him, and blushes slightly. Smiling, Angela approaches him and begins a conversation. He is a little distracted at first.]
A: Hey Brian.
B: Hey.
A: Find your camera?
B: Huh? Um, I don’t,
[calming a bit and focusing] I’m not sure. [Rayanne exits from the room Brian came out of a few moments earlier and walks past them, Brian makes a face – he is at a loss as to what to do] I gotta go. [Brian exits in the opposite direction Rayanne took.]

[Rickie is in his PE period, he is sitting on the side by himself. This appears to be very much his usual routine, sitting on the sidelines, although he is dressed out, which is an interesting way to see Rickie – it definitely makes him look vulnerable. A student comes in carrying a pass, hands it to the PE coach, who calls Rickie up to get it. The coach seems entirely ambivalent to Rickie’s non-participatory routine. Rickie looks at the call slip and reads Ms. Krysenowskii on it, Rickie looks uncomfortable, and then looks up, glancing around the gym, seemingly looking for some kind of support. There’s no one who Rickie’s friends with, and the coach has already completely diverted his attention back to whatever activity is going on. Rickie stands there, and eventually the coach speaks to him without looking at him: “Vasquez, go ahead.”]

[School bell rings for the end of passing period. The crowd in the hallway lessens as students make their ways to their classes. Rayanne and Sharon exit the bathroom together laughing/smiling – clearly at the end of a conversation, and then go separate ways down the hall. Maybe Rayanne says “later” as they part. Brian sees all this before he enters the band room for class (and it seems to him like they both looked directly at him). When Sharon enters the room moments later and begins taking out her instrument and setting up her music stand, Brian approaches her.]
B: I saw you with Rayanne Graff.
S: And?
B: You were laughing.
S: And?
B: So you’re friends now, with Rayanne Graff?
S:
[This kind of catches Sharon off guard. She looks around before answering] Maybe. Not that it’s any of your business.
B:
[fishing for information] So, I mean, what do you guys talk about? [Sharon gives him a look. He tries to be casual as he attempts to find out if they had been laughing about him – if Rayanne had told Sharon about him.] Like just now maybe, what were laughing about right then?
S: What are you talking about Krakow?
B: I don’t know, just—did she maybe—
[Sharon lifts her head to give him the Chirsky scowl. Brian’s tone and manor changes – he abandons the earlier plan of trying to get information, and possibly advice, and goes on the offensive. He scoffs.] You, being ‘friends’ with Rayanne Graff. That’s laughable. How did that happen? You hate Rayanne Graff.
S:
[Sharon goes on the defensive] Your point is what Krakow? [Sharon crosses the room to the music files and begins pulling out her sheet music for the day. Brian follows her, still talking. As an after thought he collects his music too.]
B: [All the while Brian is on the offensive, it is still clear that he is actually searching for some kind of understanding f his own situation.] Well, how are you, friends? Or, more importantly, why are you? [Sharon hits him with a final look of irritation and then returns to her seat, picking up her instrument just in time to begin with the rest of the class as they commence their playing (her expression shows that she’s been totally surprised by this whole exchange). Brian sits, holding his instrument but not playing it.]

[Rickie is standing outside of Ms. Krysenowskii’s office door. He looks around, sits down, immediately stands up again, the school bell rings, and after a few moments he walks away. As Rickie walks down the hall to an exit, Brian spots him and catches up.]
B: Rickie.
R: Oh, hi.
[Rickie makes a small gesture to say, ‘should we continue down the hall this way?’]
B: [walking] I haven’t really seen you much lately—
R: Oh, yeah, well, I’ve –
B:
[continuing his previous thought, not noting Rickie’s tone or meaning at all] Been hanging out with Rayanne a lot?
R:
[taking this as a statement about what Brian’s been doing, not as a question from Brian about what he’s been doing.] What??
B:
[understands how Rickie means this, makes a face, and then explains what he had actually meant.] No, you. Have you been spending a lot of time with Rayanne?
R: Not really. Brian, are you wearing cologne?
B: It’s aftershave.
[Rickie thinks this is funny] What I mean is, has she maybe mentioned anything new, hanging out with someone, new? …
R: There’s always someone new.
B: No, I mean someone different from that.
R: Do you mean Sharon Chirsky? Yeah, it’s weird isn’t it. I’m not sure how well Angela’s going to take it.

[In the yearbook room – Brian walks straight up to Sharon.]
B: How can you be friends with her, and still be a friend to Angela? All the while Brian is on the offensive, it is still clear that he is actually searching for some kind of understanding f his own situation]
S: What are you talking about?
B: You and Rayanne. What about Angela?
S:
[pause, even though she is definitely irritated with Brian and would like to tell him to get lost, she gives a defense because this is an issue she feels she needs to have a response to] Angela hasn’t said it bothers her. Anyway, Rickie is.
B:
[moving towards distraction] Rickie was friends with both of them before anything happened. You became friends with Rayanne after what she did to Angela. And anyway, do you really think Angela would say anything if it did bother her? She can’t afford to loose any more of her friends. [He leans in and speaks a little lower, as if appalled, or ashamed] I can’t believe you’d do this. With Rayanne Graff.

Possibly a new scene to be added here; one not involving Brian. Maybe Sharon seeks out Angela, just to hang out…

[Jordan is exiting the main office—Brian catches his pace, Jordan glances at him, then side glances in different directions – not looking for who might be witnessing this, just not fixing his eyes on Brian.]
B: What was that about? [Indicating the office] Everything okay?
J: ‘s nothing. What’s up.
B: Have you ever—I’m having –
[Jordan looks at him, rolls his eyes and sighs, this gives Brian the guts to speak up, he stops walking and says to Jordan] I’m, I think I might be having an affair. With someone I can’t even stand, and – I don’t know what I should be—how I should be… [Jordan stops too and looks at him, gives him a mixed look of surprise, validation, and understanding.]

[Sort time lapse. Jordan and Brian are sitting together somewhere – maybe on the small bleachers by the vending machines, or maybe just sitting in or on Jordan’s car … there is some kind of food or something involved, maybe just sodas, maybe Jordan is smoking.]
B: --and the next thing I knew, her shirt was off. [Jordan half grins] But now I’m just so confused.
J: What about?
B: Well, like I said, I don’t really like this person –
J: Sounds like you should.
[Jordan is very entertained by this story, but Brian just gives him a look and keeps going]
B: I don’t like her. And I’ve never done anything like this before, [looks at Jordan for emphasis] anything like this. And then, there are also others involved – [Jordan raises his eyebrows] other interested parties.
J: So what, you want to end it?
B: I think so…
J: Why?
B:
[launching back into his list] Well, [Jordan is waiting, and then Brian breaks it down real] Honestly, I don’t know how to do this. It’s new.
J: Just go with it. You’ll figure it out.
[taking a drag, or a sip] You never said how far you …?
B:
[he blushes] I’m not going to — reveal any, details. [this further amuses Jordan]
J: Well, who is she?
B: Uh, well, this is awkward—
J:
[getting more intrigued] Why? Do I know her man?
B: You could definitely say that. But really, what do I do? Do I separate what we’re doing from my other feelings for her? Do I just tell her that it has to stop? Am I thinking too much about this — is this a normal—
J: Wait.
B:
[alarmed, looks around] What?
J: I know.
[grinning] I know who it is.
B:
[uncomfortable] No. No you don’t.
J: Yes, I do.
B: No, it isn’t her—
J: Yeah, it is. Way to go man. It’s perfect for you.
B:
[a bit irritated] Uh, thanks?
J:
[looking around – he’s checking out of the conversation] I gotta go. [standing up] Keep it up Brain.

[Rickie and Rayanne are walking across the felid towards the bleachers to sit. Rayanne has her hair flipped over her face and is braiding it as she walks.]
Ri: Rayanne? Am I crazy, or is there—Is there something going on between you and Brian Krakow?
Ra:
[indifferent, kind of expecting it] He told you, huh?
Ri: Oh my God.
Ra:
[not teasing, more honest, but still playfully so, in a conclusive suggestive tone, nodding her head slightly as she says it] Jealous?
Ri:
[They have reached the bleachers and move up and down them now as it fits their dialogue] What? No. [refocusing] Rayanne, just explain this to me – why are you trying to live Angela Chase’s life?
Ra: What? Excuse me? I am not— You are totally—
Ri: First Jordan Catalano, then Sharon Chirsky, and now Brian Krakow?
Ra: That is not what is happening. That is not what this is a– God Vasquez, I can’t believe you’re saying that – Why would I want to be her?
Ri: Well then, are you just trying to hurt her? For not forgiving you?
Ra: ‘Forgiving me’? I don’t need her to— Man, you are really—
Ri: Well ,you know she’s going to take it that way.
Ra: So? What do I care about how she takes it? I don’t live my life thinking about Angela Chase you know. These are my choices.
Ri: Okay. But Rayanne, I’m just saying, if you want Angela to ever—and I’m saying this because you know you talk about her—if you ever want her to—I wouldn’t make her feel threatened.
Ra:
[scoffing] Threatened. Whatever. It doesn’t even matter. What, so Angela’s not going to start talking to me again because of Krakow? That’s what she’s basing her decision on? She was never going to anyway.
Ri: Alright. I just…
Ra: Forget it. I’m going to do whatever I want. I gotta go.

[Angela is exiting the school as Brian is reentering it. They have their conversation on the main stairs outside the school. As they stop to talk, or during the course of the conversation Angela and Brian switch there positions so that Brian is facing down the stairs, and Angela is facing into the school.]
A: Brian—
B: What?!
A: Have you, um, seen Rayanne, Graff, around lately?
B: What, like, today? No.
A: No, I mean, have you happened to notice, like, who, she’s hanging out with?
B: Who? Rickie? Jordan?
A: What? No. Sharon. I think she and Sharon Chirsky are becoming—friends.
B: Oh. Okay.
A: Wait, don’t you think that’s weird? I mean Rayanne—
[pause, restarts with a new reasoning] They used to hate each other. Why is Sharon hanging out with her?
B: Uh, you used to…
A: Yeah, I don’t know why.
B: And, so … now you’re mad at Sharon?
A: I’m not mad. She can obviously do what she wants; it’s just weird, that’s all. … I mean, Rayanne Graff only cares about herself. I just don’t -- doesn’t Sharon care about what Rayanne did?
B: Well, maybe hanging out with Rayanne doesn’t have anything to do with what happened.
A:
[Angela stops] How can it not? [Coming up the stairs, Rayanne is mouths to Brian that it is “OVER” and then walks past them into the school. Angela did not see it.]
B: I gotta go. [Brian, looking confused and a little shocked, walks quickly down the stairs. Angela turns for a moment out of surprise and watches him leave, but then turns back towards the hallway to pick up her backpack which she had set done during the conversation. As she lifts it she sees Rayanne, now far down the hall, grab Sharon by the elbow and pull her into the bathroom.]
R: [from down the hall] I have to talk to you.
AVO:
[Still looking down the hallway although she can no longer see the girls] So Sharon is friends with Rayanne. How did that happen? Why did it happen? They don’t have anything in common. What about all those times they couldn’t stand one another – couldn’t even be in the same room as each other? [Angela stands there alone holding her backpack straps at her shoulders. Jordan comes up and gently tugs a piece of her hair.]
J: Hey.
J:
[sighs] Lets get out of here.

[Angela and Jordan are sitting in his parked car outside her house. It is now early evening. It looks like they’ve just been comfortably sitting there for a while. Angela looks at him, smiling]
A:
[Kind of shaking her head out of it, but still smiling to herself] Nothing.
[She doesn’t say anything just smiles] Angela—
A: What?
J:
[Kind of shaking his head giving up, but in a good mood way] I don’t know, nothing. [Pause, takes a breath as he begins to speak] Today—
A:
[Angela starts speaking at the same time, not noticing that Jordan had been beginning a sentence] You know what?
J: Huh?
A: I think I like you.
J:
[Amused—He easily abandons what he was starting to tell her, and follows her conversation] Oh yeah?
A:
[Still smiling] Uh huh. [Jordan lunges in for a kiss. They kiss for a while. He pulls back and studies her in that way he does, she is still smiling]
J: [Leaning in a little with a boyish half-serious half-playful tone/look] Are you sure you don’t wanna have sex?
A:
[Not shocked, still smiling and in the same tone of voice as the rest of their conversation, with a touch of patience] Yes. [Adding] But I like you just the same. [Jordan lets out a breath in a kind of huff/sigh and turns from facing her to facing out of the front windshield, just kind of staring. After a moment, without facing her again, he reaches across her and opens the passenger door. Angela is not offended, and after a moment she gets out and shuts the door, Jordan hasn’t changed his position. She ducks her head in the window] Goodnight. [His eyes move away from her, but he nods a couple of times in recognition. She turns and walks up the walkway.]
J: Hey! Angela. [She walks back towards the car but not all the way. Her face is blank, but not in a negative way] There’s this bonfire at the river tomorrow. Would you want to come?
A:
[Small smile -- not triumphant] I’ll ask. ‘Night. She turns and walks to her house. Jordan starts his car and drives away]

* End of Episode *
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Apr 10th 2006, 4:17 am

#23 Isolation

Day 1

J:
[From behind, we see Jordan sitting at the counter in a diner, drinking coffee, Rickie walks in, as Jordan drinks his coffee, he turns his head slightly (although we only see one side of his face) and notices Rickie entering. Rickie rubs his hands from the cold, and looks around looking for a place to sit down. Jordan calls to Rickie with a slight head beckon] Hey.
R: Oh,
[he gestures a slight little wave] hi.
J: Pull up a seat.
[Rickie does. They are sitting side by side at the counter; neither looks at the other head on, so we still do not get a very close image of Jordan’s face]
R: What are you doing here?
J: I’m here almost every day.
R: Oh yeah?
J: Not much of a late sleeper.
[Takes a drink, and then asks nonchalantly] How ‘bout you?
R: What, here?
[shrugs] I guess, I guess I’m not always in such a rush to start a school day.
J:
[nods as he takes a sip] Yeah. [As Jordan puts down his glass, Rickie notices that Jordan’s hand is bruised and his knuckles split. He leans just slightly over to get a full glimpse of Jordan’s face and sees that he’s badly bruised with a split lip, Rickie leans back and averts his eyes. The waitress behind the counter passes by and Rickie politely gestures with a slight raise of his hand]
W: Made up your mind honey?
R: Uh, may I have an omelet please? Um, with cilantro, and mushrooms?
W: Toast?
R: Wheat?
[The waitress kind of studies Jordan’s face, Rickie continues ordering to draw her attention away. As Rickie speaks Jordan rises, tossing some bills on the counter.] And juice. [The waitress nods and then looks again to Jordan.]
W: Baby, you okay? What happened?
J: Nothing,
[he flashes a disarming smile] It’s fine. [to Rickie as he stands (Jordan grimaces a bit as he stands – his ribs or something in his back or side hurts)] Listen, I’m gonna get out of here. I don’t know if I’m goin’, straight to school. You okay to get there?
R: Thanks, I’m fine.
J:
[nods as he backs to the door] Okay. [turns] Later.

[Mr. Katimski’s class, they are taking a test. Mr. K is at his desk, reading and grading papers, and occasionally looking out at the students taking a test. The camera glances over student: Sharon, Brian, and Angela— who looks behind her to Jordan’s empty desk, she looks slightly worried.]
K: Ah! Eyes on your own papers __ please. [Angela turns back to her test, but looks at Brian for a while before going back to work. Brian, unaware that Angela is watching him, looks up and stares out the classroom door, Rayanne happens by, looking disoriented and being really loud — her demeanor is out of the ordinary. Brian watches, open—eyed. The camera leaves the classroom and follows Rayanne into the hall. Rayanne runs her hand along the lockers; she stumbles and bangs her head against a locker, she grumbles and keeps moving down the hall. As she is further down the hall, a staff security figure confronts her, we can’t hear what is being said, but she appears to be agitated. The bell rings.
Back in the classroom, the students who were still working on their exams get up and turn in the tests and empty out into the hall
]
K: Okay, that’s it. Finish up. I’ll see you tomorrow. [Sharon comes to talk to Angela]
S: How’d you do?
A:
[Looking back at Jordan’s empty desk while she gathers her things; her answer is a little distracted] Huh? Oh. Okay.
S: Well, I totally did not expect that last question. I mean, where did that come from …

[Principal Foster walks past them into the classroom, Angela and Sharon, and the other students spill out into the hallway.]
Mr. Foster: Mr. Katimski, do you have a moment.
K: Sure, I was just, uh —
F: Take a seat Mr. Katimski. Do you know a student by the name of Enrique Vasquez.
K: Enrique, ah he —
F: Is in your English 10, yes. I am aware he is one of your students. You see Mr. Katimski, what I am asking is, how well do you know this boy Enrique Vasquez.

[In the hall, Brian is at his locker. Angela walks past him with Sharon Angela sneaks discreet glances his way; Brian notices and turns back to his locker. Angela quickly averts her eyes, but when she has passed him, she looks back for another look. Brian doesn’t see this. He closes his locker and starts down the hall the other way, stops, kind of turns to go down the hall after Angela, then stands still, and then turns in frustration back to his locker, opens it again, realizes he has nothing more to do there, turns around and leans against his open locker disgusted with himself, looking around the hall but seeing no one to talk to.]

[Angela walks down to the bleachers to look for Jordan, he isn’t there, she scans the parking lot for his car but it isn’t there. She makes eye contact with Rayanne who is in the parking lot with two girls. The girls are looking at Angela, Rayanne looks, but then looks away quickly. One of the girls takes a drink from something and passes it to Rayanne, the bell rings and Angela takes a few backwards steps before slowly turning away and walking back into the school.]

[In Katimski’s classroom Foster is still there, Mr. Katimski is sitting at his desk, looking destroyed.]
Foster: I’ll expect your letter of resignation tomorrow morning, I have arranged for a substitute to take over the rest of your classes for today. Please exit campus as soon as you have collected your belongings.

[Angela and Rickie are in the bathroom, Rickie is washing his hands, Angela is leaning against the sinks with her head back against the wall.]
R: So did you end up going to that thing with Jordan last night?
A: No, I never heard from him, for two days now. I called his house but his father said he wasn’t there.
R: Huh. Did he say what happened?
A: No, he isn’t at school today. I’m a little worried.
[Rickie walks past her drying his hands he touches her hair softly,]
R: [To change the subject]—Angela, we should really recolor your hair.
A:
[Angela looks a moment in the mirror, then looses interest and sighs. Turning to face Rickie as she speaks,] So Rayanne is hanging out with Kristina Anderson?
R:
[Sounding like he doesn’t want to get into it] I guess.
A: She dropped Sharon already? I thought she like hated Kristina Anderson and Leslie Hitt.
R:
[They start to walk out of the bathroom] I don’t really know.
A: So, um, does she ask about me?
[Rickie doesn’t quite know what to say,] Never mind. I don’t care. You’re coming over later right?
R: Yeah, I’m just going to check in with Mr. Katimski, I’ll see you in Soc.
[Angela walks down the hall and Rickie turns into Mr. Katimski’s room but then stands confused when he sees the old lady substitute there instead. Rickie turns away from the doorway and stands against the wall. Jordan walks down the hall with his head kind of down, and pauses when he sees Rickie.]
J: Hey, … you made it.
R: Uh, hey. —So did you.
J:
[Jordan’s not really engaged in the conversation] Yeah, I had to uh, get something, from the shop room. [looks around] I doubt I’m staying.
R:
[Jordan continues just standing there, Rickie is uncomfortable, kind of staring at him, not sure what to say.] So, um —
J: Listen, uh,
[he moves in a little semi-circle around Rickie, as subtle way to move in closer for his question, his tone is casual] I been meaning to ask you something, you’re staying at Katimski’s right?
R:
[Looking around, he’s a little uneasy] Uh, well, not exactly. I mean, he’s been letting me stay there, with him, until, well until… Who did you—
J: So, you left home?
R: Kind of. Uh, Jordan—
J:
[Leaning to one side, closer in to Rickie, and in a lower tone] Remember what I said, ‘bout my old man?
R:
[Everything registers: Rickie indicates that he does remember; he speaks in an almost cracked whisper] Yeah.
J: Yeah
[he slightly nods as he says this and after a little while, walks away.]

[In Mr. Katimski’s apartment, Katimski is sitting in a chair with a typed letter in front of him, and he is starring off, clicking his pen in and out over and over. The door unlocks and his partner enters the room]
Partner: [As he enters the apartment] Richard? [He sees him sitting down and crosses the room towards him] I got your message. What’s happened?
Katimski:
[ Without looking up he indicates the paper.]
Partner: [He looks at Katimski and then picks up the letter to read. As he reads he glances at Katimski who does not move. As he finishes the letter he sits, sighing] Oh God.
Katimski: It’s happened.
Partner:
[Referring to the letter] Was this your idea?
Katimski:
[Sounding a little distant] Foster.
Partner: What did you say?
Katimski: Say? What could I say? He knows Rickie has been living here.
Partner: Did you tell Foster you would resign?
Katimski: He asked for my resignation. He said we could avoid a scandal if I just tendered my resignation.
[mumbling a little] Apparently no parents ...
Partner: Don’t sign it.
Katimski: What?
Partner: Don’t sign it. You’ll get a lawyer.
Katimski: What is that going to help? Don’t you see what this looks like? A gay couple takes in a young boy, under no authority of the law, notifies no one—
[sounding defeated] Dennis, this is going to be a crucifixion.
Partner: Look, I’ll call Leo. You’re not going to lose your job.
Katimski: I didn’t lose my job.
Partner:
[Dialing the phone] You didn’t do anything wrong.
Katimski: I’m this boy’s teacher, it only matters that it looks like I’ve done something wrong.
Partner:
[Moving the phone away from his mouth] You need to call that guidance counselor. Richard. Richard, he can’t stay here anymore. Rickie can’t stay here.
Katimski:
[Throwing the pen across the room, dejectedly] I know.

[After school, Angela and Rickie are getting on the bus.]
A: He never came to school today. I never saw him.
R: Angela—
A: Okay, I know, I’ll shut up. I’m sorry. It’s not like he never cut school before.
R:
[A little nervous, feeling unsure about how to navigate this situation, but still wanting to reassure her] Exactly.
A: I will stop obsessing.
R: Uh huh.
[Angela stops and looks into the parking lot, in the distance, Rayanne is kind of stumbling and is acting crazy]
A: God, now what is she doing? [Rickie looks over her shoulder and just observes, Angela turns her head to Rickie] Want to go? [meaning – “do you need to go take care of her?”]
R: There’s only so much you can do.

[In the tutoring room, pairs are sitting together working. Brian sits there by himself doing work, Jordan is not there. The Assistant Principal steps into the doorway, scans the room, spots Brian and approaches him]
AP: [In a library volume] Mr. Krakow, may I speak with you a moment? [Brian looks up, makes big eyes, then shuts his book and exists the tutoring room to follow the AP into the hallway.] Brian, you’re a student tutor for the after-school tutoring program.
B: Um, yeah…
AP: And who do you tutor?
B: Um, Jordan Catalano.
AP:
[Looking past Brian back into the classroom] But he’s not here now?
B:
[Looking back too] No. [pause, then as an afterthought] But he wasn’t in English today either.
AP: He wasn’t?
B: No…
AP: Okay, thanks Brian. Hey, how’s it going?
B:
[makes a Brian look] Good. Well – it’s going well.
AP:
[Gesturing to the room] This isn’t routine?
B: Huh? No, he comes. I mean, he works.
AP: Good. Okay. Thank you Brian.

[Angela and Rickie enter the Chase house after school. As they put down their things and wander into the kitchen they continue their conversation]
R: It’s just, it’s weird right? That he left school in the middle of the day?
A: Huh? Oh, I don’t know.
R: Well, do you think he’s sick? I tried calling during Soc, but the number was busy.
A: Rickie, I’m sure everything’s fine.
R: Yeah, I’m sure. It’s weird though, don’t you think?
A: Um, I guess a little. But then, I don’t know, teachers have substitutes all the time.
[They have come to the kitchen door, and Angela leans against it to push it open as she says] Hungry?
R: Um, sure.
[They walk into the kitchen where Graham is putting groceries away]
G: Hey, Rickie! Hi Honey. How was school?
R:
[Angela and Rickie overlap each other] Hi Mr. Chase.
A:
[Responding to the question about school] Okay. So Dad, is there anything to eat?
G: Uh, by that do you mean will I make you something to eat?
[Angela smiles] Alright, let’s see, [Graham looks through the refrigerator, takes something out and tosses it to Angela, then he turns back to the fridge for something else]

[Later that evening (outside the windows it is dark, but it is still early evening) Angela and Rickie are in her room lying on her bed doing homework. There is a small knock on the closed door and in a few moments Patty enters, she sounds slightly awkward, but it is very subtle in her meaning]
P: Rickie, honey, it’s getting late, why don’t you plan on spending the night here? I uh, spoke to Mr. Katimski, so, he knows. Uh, he’s actually still on the phone, he’d like to speak with you. [Rickie sits up, looks at Angela, then rises to go to pick up the cordless phone] Why don’t you go ahead and use the telephone in our bedroom. [this all strikes Rickie as odd, and he is getting a bit apprehensive. He flashes a quick ‘thanks’ smile to Patty, then uncomfortably exits to room.]
A: [alarmed] Mom, what’s going on?? [Patty sighs, and seems at a lost. She sits on the bed]
P: Honey, there seems to be a problem with Rickie living with, — staying with, Mr. Katimski.
A:
[alarmed / defensive] What? What’s happening? Who has a problem with it?
P:
[Patty first addresses Angela’s emotional response, speaking calmly to reassure her, and then her actual question.] Angela. The school’s administration.

[Later that night in Patty and Graham’s bedroom. They are both in bed but not asleep, they are talking quietly to each other.]
G: I’m still not clear on what happened with his family
P:
[Patty shakes her head] I don’t know.
G: Well, and what’s going to happen to Mr. Katimpski?
P:
[sighs] I just don’t know.
G: Could they really fire him?
P: Well, he’s new, is he tenured? Should we have told somebody? Should we have told the school?
[Angela comes and lingers in the doorway.]
G: Hi honey.
P: Where’s Rickie?
A: In the shower.
[advancing towards their bed, and sitting by their feet] So, what’s going to happen?
G: Well, he’s probably been assigned a social worker.
P: They’ll find him somewhere. It will be alright.
A: But they said that before and he ended up living on the streets.
G: That won’t happen this time.
A:
[flatly] How do you know? [Patty and Graham exchange looks]
G: Well, because we’re involved now, we’re going to make sure that it doesn’t.
A: Well, couldn’t he just come back here?
P: Angela, that was never really a long—term solution. Rickie is struggling with a lot of issues right now, that he’s going to need help, expert help, to deal with.
G: Being abandoned by his family, being uprooted from multiple homes, abuse—
P: We don’t know how to help him with all that.
A: He’s fine. Rickie’s fine. He just needs somewhere to live.
P: I’ll call the school tomorrow and get some information.
[Angela continues lying there, looking at her parents. Eventually she rolls herself off the bed and stands]
A: Goodnight.
G: ‘Night Honey.
P: Goodnight sweetheart.
[Angela heads toward the door, then pauses to ask something else] Why is this happening? [Her parents have no answer for her but empathetic expressions. She turns and leaves the room. From the hall] ’Night.

Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Apr 10th 2006, 4:20 am

Day 2

[Substitute is teaching Catcher in the Rye, highlighting themes of isolation, impotency, and depression – a male faculty member escorts Jordan inside the classroom: “I’m delivering this character to you.” “All right, take a seat.” Angela straightens up when he enters the room, she tries to make eye contact, to get his attention, but he isn’t looking at anything. Angela sees the traces of a fight on Jordan’s face and in his walk; she looks concerned; Brian sees it too and then looks from Jordan to Angela. Jordan takes his seat without looking at Angela, and promptly puts his head down on his desk.]

[Rickie is in Ms. Krzynowski’s office]
MK: Listen, Rickie, or is it Enrique? We have to—[interrupting herself with a tangent thought] Have you been getting the Call slips? I keep sending you Call slips, but this is the first time—[she cuts herself off to return to her original thought]We have to place you in another facility until— Well, I understand you need a new place to stay. The problem is, there are still no openings at Pride House, but, well, you can’t go back to where you were staying.
R: Why not?
[She looks at him, but doesn’t say anything] Look, he didn’t do anything. I didn’t have any place else to go. This isn’t fair.
MK: Rickie, you don’t seem to underst—
R: No. Just— I do understand. He can’t lose his job because of me. Just tell me who I need to talk to.
MK: I’m afraid it doesn’t work like that. This is for your own protection.
R:
[Sarcastic and mean] Yeah right.

[Jordan is still asleep in English class, somebody wakes him up at the teacher’s request, and he gets up, kind of glances at Angela and just walks out of the classroom. Angela is definitely disturbed; Brian looks at Angela to see her reaction.]

[Continuation of the scene in Ms. Krzynowski’s office]
MK: Now I’ve made arrangements for you to move after school today. A social worker will be here at three to take you to the shelter; any personal belongings of yours at Mr. Katimski’s will be delivered to the shelter. Now, I understand that you have been going through a lot of changes this year, and we’re trying to make this as painless as possible; if you want to talk about, well, anything, your feelings about this move— [Rickie gets up and walks out. She stands and calls after him, but he pays no attention] Rickie.

[Later, in the halls, Jordan is standing leaning somewhere, Angela is at her locker, or doing something in the hall watching him out of the corner of her eye, his eyes are closed, his buddies come up and jostle him, he doesn’t reciprocate, but opens his eyes and shifts his weight, looking around but not seeing anything, then he focuses on Angela, she hesitantly starts to walk towards him, and he watches, she is momentarily distracted from him as Rayanne stumbles by her, and when she turns her attention back to Jordan, he has stopped looking at her and is following his buddies around a corner and out of her sight. She stops where she is and looks around a little lost and then wrinkles her face a little, then turns the other way to see Rickie walking by]
A: Ah, Rickie! Wait up! [But Rickie keeps walking. Rayanne, who has been across the hall crosses to Angela now, speaking to her in a serious tone that seems out of place given her behavior so far in this episode]
Ra: So, [here nod indicating the direction Jordan walked in] what’s up?
A:
[not looking at Rayanne] What do you want?
Ra: Nothing.
[Even more in earnest—Angela’s not sure how to process this sincereity] But, if there’s like a prob—
A:
[Angela opens her mouth as if to speak, hesitates, and then shuts down] I don’t want to talk about it. [Pause, and then looks at Rayanne coolly] Not with you anyway. [She walks away]
Ra: Fine. Whatever.

[Patty is at her desk in her office. She’s staring off in space tapping a pencil, and eventually flicks it out of her fingers by accident, it flies over her and lands on the floor. She picks up the phone and calls home. Graham is folding laundry and watching golf on TV.]
G: Hello?
P: It’s me.
G: Hey.
P: Do you think Rickie should move back in with us?
[he stops folding and sighs]
G: I don’t know. I’ve been thinking about that all day. What if, what if he hadn’t moved out when he did?
P: Would he still be here? I don’t know. The idea was that he would stay with us until something safe and stable became available.
G: But I don’t really think we had a grasp of the situation then. It all happened so fast; we were still thinking that things would work out with his family.
P: But is living with us a permanent solution?
G: I don’t know, but isn’t it better than having him stay in a shelter? And really, how would living in a foster home be better for him than staying with us?
P: I truly hate to even mention this, but, can we afford to have another person living with us long term?
G: We could make it work.
P: Well? What should we do?
G: Have you called the school yet?
P: I couldn’t reach that guidance counselor, I’m thinking I’m going to go down there in a little while.
G: Well has there been any news on that youth home, what was it called?
P: Pride House. I don’t know. That sounded like a good option, I wonder if they can get Rickie in there?
G: Maybe we should wait and see. If that doesn’t come through, Rickie will come here.
P:
[deep breath] Okay.
G: Patty, we’ll make sure he’s okay.
P: Okay. Bye.

[Rickie hesitantly opens the door to the boiler room, and walks down the stairs. He lowers his head as he passes a couple making out. Rickie continues back through the piping and fencing to the very back of the room. He is startled to see someone already there. Jordan looks up, and they quietly look at one another.]

[It is the same scene, but there has been a short time lapse. Rickie has found a place to it, and although they each separately sought this place out to be alone, they are now talking]
J: I mean, it’s not like it used to be. It’s not happening all the time. [Pause, he starts again to try to explain it] Look, I came home one night a little out of it, he’s usually passed out or not home. I mean, he usually just ignores me now you know?
R: Yeah.
J: Anyway, he was home, and real pissed off about something, I wasn’t expecting nothing. So it happened before I knew what was going on. I hit him back, but I was a pretty gone. Still, it wasn’t anything like it used to be, you know, not much worse than being in a fight, but, I just, I wasn’t expectin’ it, you know? Before, it was, I mean, it sucked, it definitely sucked, but at least I was, you know, prepared? I knew it was coming. No. I never knew, but it was like, always a possibility,
[he looks at Rickie] right?
R:
[Rickie swallows, and in a quiet voice] Yeah.
J: Yeah. But now… Man, that’s not how things are supposed to be now. That’s not— the arrangement? anymore.
R: So what happened?
J:
[looks at Rickie] Nothing. He kicked the crap out of me. I mean, I got some in too, but I was too wasted. He locked me out and I haven’t gone back since. That was two days ago.
R:
[hesitates] Have you talked about this with Angela?
J: Angela? Why? She’d freak. I don’t want to deal with that.
R: Well, you can’t just avoid her.
[Kind of taken aback that he was so assertive] I mean, she cares about you.
J: And?
[Jordan broods for a bit with a scowl]
R: Nothing. [More to himself than to Jordan] That’s hard to find.
J: I guess.
[Pause] I didn’t mean that. I’m getting out of here. [Jordan rises and walks a few paces and then Rickie calls after him]
R: Jordan. [Jordan stops and turns back to him] Can I get a ride someplace?

[Rickie goes to Mr. Katimski’s apartment and tentatively knocks on the door. Katimski’s partner Dennis answers]
D: [gently] Hi Rickie.
R: I know I’m not supposed to come here, but—
[Rickie’s voice kind of quivers]
D: [He puts a hand on Rickie’s shoulder] It’s alright.
R:
[Sniffing, to keep from crying] Is Mr. Katimski here?
D: No Rickie, he isn’t.
R: He’s losing his job isn’t he? Because of me.
D: We don’t know.
[Rickie is visibly distraught] Rickie, where are you staying?

[Angela is in the parking lot after school looking for Jordan’s car. As she’s realizing that it’s not there, she looks over to the buses. People are just beginning to load on, and she starts walking towards them. As she gets closer she approaches Brian who is getting in line for the bus also]
A: Hey Brian. [A little embarrassed]
B: Hey.
A: Ah, Brian, did Jordan— have you— I mean, did you have tutoring yesterday?
B: He didn’t show up.
[pause] Why?
A: No reason.
B: What? Is something wrong?
A: No, why?
B: No reason; but… Listen, Chase—
A: It’s just that— Never mind.
[She turns to walk away]
B: Chase. You don’t have to keep— I mean… So this is like how it is now? You’re just like never going to talk to me?
A: Brian, I talk— I’m talking to you.
B: Yeah. “Have seen this person” – “Do you know what this person is doing”
A:
[in earnest] Brian. I talk to you.
B:
[Desperate to say something] I could talk to him, if you want.
A:
[Kind of annoyed at what he might be implying, she goes on the defensive] To Jordan? Talk to him about what?
P: Angela?
[Angela turns at the sound of her mother’s voice, and sees Patty coming towards her. Angela is a bit unnerved to see her mother unexpectedly at school, but she goes to meet her in order to avoid her mother coming to her in the midst of all the kids who ride the buses]
A: Mom, what are you doing here?
P: I came by to get an update on Rickie, and thought you might like a ride home.
[Angela walks to her mother’s car parked in the visitors spots. Patty follows, then pauses.] Maybe I should offer Brian a ride home too.
A: Mom, no.
P: Angela.

[Quick time lapse, Patty is now driving them home. Angela is looking out of her window]
A: So, what did they tell you?
P: Well , the school’s Safe School counselor, Ms. Kryznowski, wasn’t in her office, and apparently Mr. Foster has been out of his office all day in meetings, so I spoke to the assistant principal. He wasn’t familiar with the situation, but he looked in Rickie’s file and said that it looked like he’s going to Pride House.
A: Really?
P: You know Angela, I really think that at this point, it is Rickie’s best option. This is really the best-case scenario, given the circumstances of course.
A: Did you hear anything about Mr. Katimpski?
P: No, I didn’t.
[long pause, Angela turns back to the window]
A: Mom, thanks.

[Angela is in her parents’ room on the floor, hidden from the door by the bed. The door is closed and she has brought the phone down to the floor with her. She calls a number, it rings and rings and rings. She hangs up and takes out a piece of paper with the number of the pay phone in the loft. It rings but no one answers. We hear Graham calling for Angela in the hallway and opening her bedroom door. Angela does not answer. She hangs up and dials the number again. Graham opens the door to his room, he calls her name although he is not expecting that she would be in there.]
G: Angela? [Angela hangs up the phone, which Graham hears] Where are you? [Angela stands up from behind the bed] What are you doing in here?
A: Nothing. Calling for homework.
G:
[not quite sure this is the truth, but having no reason to suspect that it isn’t ] Did you get it?
A:
[Angela puts the phone back on the night table and crosses the room to the door] Mm,hm.
G:
[kissing her head] Everything okay?
A: Mm,hm.

[Parked outside a liquor store, Jordan sits in his car smoking. A friend exits the store carrying a case, spots Jordan’s car, and comes over to his rolled down window, and kind of leans into the car]
F: Hey, Catalano. Where you been man?
J: No where. What’s up?
F: Nuthin’ man. But seriously, no one has seen you, for like, ever.
J: Yeah, well, I’ve been around.
F: Yeah? What, you mean like with your lady?
J: I dunno, whatever.
[he puts his hands on the wheel] Look, I’ve gotta be somewhere.
F: Hey, uh, let me get one of those.
[He indicates Jordan’s cigarette. Jordan hands him the pack, the friend takes two, puts one behind his ear and lights the other one, and tosses the pack through the window onto the passenger seat. Taking a drag] There’s this thing tonight, at that girl Shelia’s house. You know, Shelia…
J:
[not really interested] Who?
F: You know, that girl from that night with Tino, remember …
J: Oh, right. Not really… So, what about her?
F: Nothing, we’re all heading over there tonight … You know, so, if you wanted to stop by or something…
J: Right, maybe.
F: Her friends, man, those girls are crazy. … Or you know, you could bring that girl … or whatever.
J: Ok, yeah, whatever.
[Jordan turns his head from the conversation and moves to start the car, and then pauses to address the friend again] It’s Angela.
F: Huh?
J: Her name,
[gestures with both thumbs with his hands on the wheel] it’s Angela.
F: Yeah, okay, sure, Angela, I get it. Well, later man.
J: Yeah.
[the friend takes a step back and Jordan starts the car and drives away, he tosses his cigarette butt out the window as he pulls out of the parking lot.]

[The family is at the dinner table, in the middle of eating, Angela appears preoccupied, if not distracted]
D: I finished my book today. That’s twenty—seven. Dad? Guess what you get if you read thirty—five books.
G: Uh, I don’t know, a book?, I suppose.
D: That’s not a prize. No. You get a T—shirt. It’s really cool. The library had a contest in the beginning of the year, Devon Wagnor won, he designed it. It’s really cool.
A: Excuse me.
[Angela rises from the table and goes upstairs. She returns to her parent’s bedroom and lifts up the phone, dialing from the slip of paper. The phone rings several times, no one picks up]

[Patty’s doing dishes, Graham is leaning against the counter next to her]
G: Did you talk to Angela’s school?
P: Mm,hm. The assistant principal said that they were moving Rickie to Pride House; which
[she takes a deep breath] is where they were trying to get him into all along. So, [pause] it’s great that that finally came through. Rickie’s going to be fine.
G:
[rubbing her back momentarily] Of course he is. [Graham moves away and begin transferring some leftovers into tupperware containers.] Hey, uh, has Angela heard?
P: Mm, hm.
G: —Because, she seems a little… Do you know, is something else going on?
P: I don’t know. She has been acting a little morose lately.
[taking a sip from her water glass] I think it’s something to do with Jordan.
G: Oh no, they haven’t… Have they?
P: No. But I get the feeling something’s wrong.
G: Like?
P: Maybe something at home. He works right? Maybe they need money. Does he live with his parents?
G: Does Jordan Catalano have parents? You mean he didn’t just appear one day in a red convertible?
[Patty chuckles. Graham waves his hands from his wrists, elaborating his mocking] Rising from the sea foam? [Patty swats him with a dish towel. Graham has finished putting the food away and is now caramelizing some pecans.]
P: Maybe, do you think it might be about Rayanne?
G:
[something else has just popped into his head] Ooh, listen. Hallie’s working over some final figures with the investors this week, and we should be meeting with some contractors by Thursday or Friday. Hallie says we should even start making final decisions on the menu soon. [his voice trails a bit] Something about complementing the decor with the cuisine…
P: Wow. This is all moving pretty fast.
G: Yeah. Well, Hallie says that we’re at a disadvantage opening after the holidays, and that our best chance of building a strong customer base by the summer is to open by the middle of March.
P:
[Coming up to taste the candied nuts he has been cooking, rolls her eyes back and sighs because it is so good] So does this mean you won’t be cooking for us anymore? [Her head falls to his back as she pouts] The girls hate my cooking.
G: No. They don’t hate it.
[Patty looks at him incredulously. Graham continues in that serious—joking voice of his] Well, I mean, Angela barely even eats here anymore, and we can just feed Danny off what I bring home from the restaurant. [He looks at her and grins. Patty kind of punches him] Hey! Hey! [She walks out of the kitchen Graham kind of chuckles as he watches her leave the room, and then turns back to his cooking.]

[It is dark outside. Rickie sits in the booth of an all-night diner (where he had breakfast the other day). He is wearing the same clothes since the episode started. There is a cup of coffee on the table as well as a plate from a meal he ate earlier, and is now only occasionally picking at it. He is reading Catcher in the Rye, but he is having trouble concentrating, he looks out the window. There are several other people in the diner, some in booths, two men at the counter, but it is pretty empty, it is late. (This is where he is passing the night.)]

Last edited by Jody Barsch* on Apr 10th 2006, 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Apr 10th 2006, 4:31 am

Day 3

[Jordan is underneath the bleachers at school. He isn’t smoking, he’s just sitting on the crossbars. His arms are crossed and his head leans back against a pole, his eyes are closed. Three or four of his friends approach, one of whom is the friend from the day before. Two of the guys are smoking cigarettes. Friend 1 kind of swats Jordan on the shoulder, Jordan’s eyebrows go up, but it takes a while before his eyes open.
F 1: Hey Catalano.
J: Hey
F 1: So where were you last night man? You totally bailed on us again.
J: I dunno, I guess I forgot.
F 1: Whatever man, you’re drifting.
F 2:
[kind of hanging from the bleachers with one hand, his feet barely off the ground] So what’s with the scuff marks Catalano, who’ve you been brawlin’ with?
F 1:
[no response from Jordan] So you coming out tonight?
J: Naw.
F 3: F—you man, we’ll be at your place at nine.
J: No. I’ll meet you.
F 2: What, so you can not show, again?
F 1: We’ll be at your place, be home man.
[friend 2 leaves with other guys, friend 1 resituates himself, leaning against a nearby pole; Jordan leans in a little and talks in a lower voice]
J: Look, I’m not really there right now.
F 1: Old man?
[Jordan takes a drag from his friend’s cigarette] s**t. [Standing up, he kind of punches Jordan in the shoulder as he moves to leave] Be at Brendan’s tonight. [Drops the cigarette on the ground[ I’ll bring the whisky. Later Catalano.

[Brian and Jordan are at work in the tutoring room, they look as if they haven’t been talking. Jordan is reading an article, while Brian is pretending to be doing work while repeatedly looking up to study Jordan.]
B: Nothing. So, what like, what happened?
J:
[lifts his head and looks straight at Brian, he is unamused] Fight.
B: Huh. Did you win?
[Jordan almost gets irritated and condescending in his response, but then his mood changes and his answer is something like patient] It doesn’t really work like that.
B: Oh.
[Brian looks around the room thinking of whether he is going to continue. He then starts his sentence as if this had just occurred to him] Oh, uh, some of your teachers, [Jordan lifts his head] uh, gave me some of the assignments you still have missing. [trying to be casual] you’ve missed a lot of class lately.
J: Just give me the work.
[Brian hands Jordan a stack of papers, and they work in silence for a while. Brian again is pretending to be doing work while again repeatedly looking up to study Jordan.]
B: You should talk to Angela. She seems, kind of, concerned.
J:
[Looking away, eyes vacant, then turns back but doesn’t make eye contact] Yeah? What’s it to you?
B: Nothing ... Only, she deserves it. And I think she’s probably worried about you.
[Jordan broods for a bit with a scowl, and then abruptly gets up and walks out of the room. Brian sits there watching him leave.]

[Angela is waiting for Jordan outside of the tutoring room. He’s already agitated, and seeing her right then does not help. He pauses for a second to talk, but then keeps walking. She follows along as he walks down the hall and then moves in front of him and stops. He tries to move past her but she moves too; Jordan moves aside, coolly looking away from her, waiting for her to move]
A: So what, you got in a fight? [Jordan makes a ‘You don’t know me’ face] Are you dropping out of school too?
J: Who said that?
A: You haven’t been in class all week. If you’re your not dropping out, they might kick you out.
J: Yeah? Why do you even care?
A: School is important. You need to graduate.
J: What for? I’m not goin’ to college.
[adding on] My father barely passed high school.
A: Do you really want to be like him?
J: What do you know about it?
A: I know that ....
[long pause]
J: Forget it. You don’t know anything about it. [He walks away]
A: [In a low voice] Jordan—
J:
[coming back] Look, everything’s fine, it’s not even a big deal.
A: Well, I don’t know that because I don’t know what’s really going on, except that you’re never in school, you’re impossible to find, and, you don’t seem very happy.
J: You’re over reacting.
A: Okay. Can you tell me what’s wrong then?
J: I just—This isn’t about you. I don’t want to spend my time worrying about how you’re going to take things. What do you have to do with any of this anyway?
[He walks away]
A: Jordan. [He keeps walking, she takes a step and is going to call his name again when Cynthia Hargrove comes into the hall walking in the opposite direction of Jordan, towards Angela. Cynthia walks calmly at a steady pace, knowingly taking in the scene. Jordan storms past her, turning his head to glance at her as he walks by, but does not slow down. He eventually turns a corner. Cynthia opens a locker nearby where Angela stands. Cynthia casually watches her, not trying to hide it (kind of like how Patty was checking out Jordan in ‘Pressure’) Angela looks troubled, she opens her mouth to speak, stops, begins again]
A: Ah—
C: Trouble?
[Angela turns and walks down the hall the opposite way]

[Rickie, who had not gone to school that day, is on a pay phone outside a public building]
R: Hi, it’s me. Can you come meet me, please? It’s 46116 Hollister. Thanks.

[Angela and Rayanne are in the bathroom, Rayanne is fixing her hair, Angela is sitting in the window, neither one of them looks at the other. The scene starts in the middle of the conversation]
AVO: I had gone to Rayanne for advice. I didn’t plan it, it just happened. After everything, I never thought I’d ask Rayanne Graff for advice. But, I don’t know, something about it just seemed, safe. It doesn’t make us friends. In extenuating circumstances, you sometimes find unexpected allies.
A: But he won’t talk to me about it.
R: So?
[Long pause and then looking away from the mirror to Angela] Really Angela is that it? That’s what’s bothering you? That he doesn’t want to talk to you about his dad wailing on him?
A:
[With little resolution] No—
R: ‘Cuz that’s not really something people like to talk about. I mean look’a Rickie.
A: I know.
R: Besides, you’re not—
A:
[taking control of the conversation—keeping it only on what she feels comfortable talking about] The point is that I’m worried about him.
R:
[Packing her bag and slinging it on her shoulder] Look Angelfood, [they both pause at the awkwardness of this moment, Angela makes a face, Rayanne remembers herself and looks slightly embarrassed, then dismisses her error and continues] Catalano’s gonna be fine. I gotta go find Tino. She exits the bathroom. Angela’s head sinks a little, just then one of the toilets flush and she automatically raises her head. Cynthia Hargrove emerges. She holds a cigarette between her lips and approaches the sink closest to Angela without looking at her]
Cynthia: You’re talking about Jordan?
A:
[Nods her head, and shifts her seating so that her legs are off the edge and she is facing Cynthia.]
C: Has he ever told you about his father? [pauses for an answer, evens out her lipstick] Well, it’s not good. [momentarily turns directly to Angela] Look, Jordan doesn’t talk about this to everyone.
A: I’m not —
C: Everyone? I know. You’re the girl he’s not sleeping with.
[she’s said this kind of to make fun of Angela, and kind of not to] Think about it. How will it help him to talk to you about this? Can you fix it? Will you be able to understand what he’s talking about? Let it go. Just be what he needs you to be.
A: Which is what?
C:
[going out the door] I don’t know, what do you need from him? [She’s gone]

[Outside the social services offices, Rickie sits on a bench by the pay phone. Mr. Katimski pulls up in his car. He parks and Rickie meets him as he steps onto the curb.]
R: Mr. Katimpski, I’m so sorry.
K: It’s alright.
R: I never meant for you to lose your job. I’m so so sorry.
K: What happened is not your fault.
R: But it’s because of me. Foster is doing this to you because of me.
K: Listen Rickie, I’m glad to have helped you. I’m proud of that decision. And so very proud of you. I will be fine. I don’t want you blaming yourself for this. You try so very hard to be responsible for everyone around you, I don’t want you taking blame for this. It’s hard enough to be young, finding where you fit into the world; don’t make it harder by caring the weight of the world on your shoulders.
[Rickie is crying]
R: I’m sorry– I don’t want to have to– I want to—[calms down] I would have really liked to have kept staying, living, with you. [wipes tears] I know it sounds stupid, but, I really felt like I had found a home.
K: There’s nothing stupid about that. Hey, Rickie, you’re going to be fine. Things are going to work out for you. I’m not worried.
R:
[breaks down again] I just don’t understand why this always seems to be happening to me. I walk around, I never feel comfortable, I never feel at ease, or at peace, and then, I felt like I could finally breathe. And now they’re saying … I can’t go back to that. [emotion rises] It just gets so hard.
K:
[gives him a hug] You’re going to make it through this Enrique. You are.
R: Thank you Mr. Katimpski.
[Mr. Katimski pats him on the back]

[Angela walks tentatively down her front walk to Jordan who is sitting against the hood of his car. Jordan stays motionless, coolly looking away from her. Angela waits for him to say something but he doesn’t. When she opens her mouth to speak, he cuts her off]
J: Look, I don’t want to talk about it. Not with you.
A: Okay. Who are you going to talk about it with? Jordan, you can’t, you can’t—
J: Listen Angela, you wouldn’t under—
[disengages] I’m not talking about this with you.
A:
[After a while] Where’re you going? [Jordan lights a cigarette in answer] Can you take me with you?
J:
[softer now] Angela, this [signaling with the thumb (of the hand holding the cigarette) to his bruised face] isn’t you.
A:
[she tries to hold his bruised face with her hand, he starts but doesn’t move away entirely, he does not focus his eyes on her. In almost a whisper] It’s not you either. [She kisses him, and eventually he kisses her too, but then breaks away]
J: I gotta go. I’ll be late for work. [He gets into his car and drives away]

[Rickie is sitting in a cubicle office at the social services center filling out forms and giving them information. We hear the voices, but it’s distant, and we can’t exactly hear what is being said. (What’s said isn’t as important as much as the fact that it’s happening.) Rickie looks really young and lost. Not scared, but adrift.]

[The assistant principal from Liberty pulls up to the gas station where Jordan works. He parks his car and walks up to the window. A large man in his late 40’s sits behind the window.]
AP: Is Jordan Catalano working tonight?
Man:
[the man studies the assistant principal for a second, then points with his thumb to the garage] In there. [The assistant principal walks into the garage where Jordan is working.]
AP: Hi Jordan. [Jordan pause his work, looks up surprised, gives a head nod of acknowledgment, and continues his task] You weren’t in any of your classes again today. What’s going on? I think we talked about this not too long ago; about you, needing to make it to class. … Jordan, you’re really not doing your part here – you’re running out of breaks [Jordan stops whatever work or task he was doing, but is still not making eye contact yet.] They’re not going to hold you back again; it’ll be over.
J:
[shifting his stance] So? Do it already.
AP: Well, despite all the cut classes, all the aloofness and disregard for your teachers and the school’s policies and rules, I think you want to stay.
J: Yeah, why?
AP: Because you’ve started to care.
[Starting in again] I talked to Brian Krakow. And I know you don’t savor going to continuation – leaving your friends, that new girlfriend. … [Subtly taking a peek to assess how Jordan reacted] That alone might be motivation to keep on at Liberty?
J: Maybe I’ll quit altogether.
AP: Jordan, if you wanted me to buy the idea that you don’t care about school, you shouldn’t have started going to tutoring. Look, do you have a little time? Jordan, if you let me in on what’s going on, I might be able to help.
[long pause while Jordan deliberates, registering no emotion on his face]
J: [Finally, after a long pause] Want some coffee?
AP: Absolutely.

[Jordan and the assistant principal are sitting outside the backside parking lot / alley of the gas station, sitting on old thrashed chairs amongst milk crates and/or a construction spool, drinking coffee from Styrofoam cups]
J: I’m not trying to get kicked out.
AP: No. You’re just doing everything you can to force me to do it. Jordan, you’re a bright kid—
J: Look – Jeff, Shane, Trigger, all those guys, they’re seniors right—
AP:
[ever so slightly nodding his head] And they’ll be graduating, and you’ll still be here.
J: Yeah. And now you’re saying I might not pass this year either; I can’t stay back again. I can’t be in tenth grade English again. So, if that’s what’s going to happen—
AP: You’d rather be kicked out.
[Pause] You think it’ll be easier to tell your friends you got kicked out of high school than having to repeat a class?
J: For the fourth time? And it’s not about those guys. Maybe I just need to work more hours.
AP:
[Looking around] Oh, right. Jordan, why don’t you tell me about the face; what’s going on? ‘Cuz I know this isn’t entirely about what’s going to happen next year.
J: Maybe not.
[Jordan takes out a pack of cigarettes, lights up, then looks over at the AP, unsure if he should be doing this in front of him. The AP flicks his hand to indicate this is the least of his concerns, and so Jordan offers him the pack and the AP gently shakes his head no. He is waiting patiently until Jordan is ready. Jordan takes a few drags, scratches his head, sighs] There’s a conflict between me and my old man. [Jordan casts a side glance to the AP to gauge his reaction, but he has not reacted, and Jordan eventually continues] See, there’s this problem with his job, and so now there’s pressure, to bring in more income.
AP: Your father hits you.
J: Naw, it’s not like that. It was– it used to– but I took care of it.
[catching his eyes, to be sure that he gets the impact of his words] He didn’t do this.
AP: Jordan—
J:
[Brushing it off, taking a drag, and moving his head slightly to indicate the marks on his face] This is nothing. This is just something that happened, this once.
AP: You know this?
J:
[getting irritated, almost challenging him] Ah, com’on. What, now you’re gonna tell someone?
AP: I am a mandated reporter.
J: Man, there’s tons of kids really getting hit, so how come you’re not working on that?
AP: So you weren’t really hit?
J: Ah, Christ. You know what I mean. Anyway, you report it, I’ll just deny it.
AP: Now why would you do that?
J: This doesn’t happen every time I go home.
AP: When was the last time you went home? So, what are you doing about it?
J: I’m not giving up my paychecks.
AP: And this is the source of the conflict? Your father wants you to quit school in order to work more hours?
J:
[bluntly, and terribly world weary] What do you want me to say?
AP: Jordan, you have to figure out what is the best course for you. Even without all this, you’re turning 18 soon, you need to start thinking seriously about the choices you’ve got.
J:
[taking a drag] I thought you came here to tell me I was out of choices.
AP: If you choose to finish school, I can keep you in; but Jordan, you’d have to commit to that. You’re going to have to choose to be successful.
[Jordan makes a face – he doesn’t feel like this is really up to him, even as it is being laid in his lap – he doesn’t feel like he’s at all in control.] Look, I’ll tell ya, for a long time it’s going to feel like it’s either school or money: stay in school – no money to move out – not enough money coming home – conflict with dad – increases appeal of dropping out / moving out – dropout – no education, limited options your whole life – stay in – guaranteed struggle, but not forever. Let me know. [AP finishes his coffee, stands, places his hand on Jordan’s shoulder] Thanks for the coffee. [he leaves. Jordan takes a few more drags, turns his eyes in the direction he walked away in, then straightens his cap, stands, flicks his cigarette butt, and returns to work.]

[At the Chase’s house in the early evening. Graham is in the kitchen cooking. He has music playing, maybe the Grateful Dead or Van Morrison. Patty is sitting at the dining room table working on paperwork from her business. Spread across the table is files and ledgers and catalogues. She sighs; she definitely looks stressed. Patty gets up to freshen her cup of coffee. As she enters the kitchen Graham takes her by the waist and tries dances with her to the music. They dance a few steps together, but because Patty keeps her body stiff and remains resistant to the dancing, it comes out quite awkward.[
P: I’m busy right now. [Graham lets go of Patty and takes her coffee mug to freshen it; he is still moving to the music. Patty turns and opens the refrigerator; she stares into it without seeing anything that appeals to her] There is nothing to eat in this house.
G: There’s tons of stuff in there.
[She sighs, moves away from the refrigerator, and takes her cup of coffee in her hands] I’m working on a new gnocchi recipe right now.
P: I’m going back to work.
G:
[taking a sip from his wine] You know, I can help you with that stuff if you need.
P:
[for some reason this has annoyed her, she goes back to the table and her work] You don’t do this [work] anymore. [she has said this in a lower voice, more for her own vindication than for Graham’s benefit]
G: [from off screen, and with great enthusiasm] Mmm! I love this! this is definitely a finalist for the initial menu. [We only see Patty, and not Graham during this. She is not angry, or irritated, but she leafs through the paperwork, looking burned out, disinterested, and put upon. She runs her fingers through her hair, and puts her head down on the table]

[Patty is still seated at the table doing work. Graham comes in whistling. Patty grimaces at the disruption, and at the good mood Graham is in. He doesn’t see, He goes the book shelf for a cookbook. He can’t find what he is looking for and he calls out to Patty]
G: Patty? Where’s my cookbook? [still scanning the shelves] The uh, one on—
P: All cooking books are on the top two shelves nearest the kitchen.
G:
[moving slightly over and looking up] Ah. When did that happen? [coming back into the dining room with book in hand. Patty is disinterested in the answer]
P: I don’t know. Last week, two weeks?
G: Huh. Why?
P: Because, it needed to be organized.
G:
[he’s joking, not purposely being contrary] Yeah, but now I can’t find anything. [Patty drops her pencil when she hears this; Graham goes back into the kitchen (the music blares when the door opens. Patty tries to resume her focus, the phone rings]
D: I’ll get it! I’ll get i—
[the phone has stopped ringing; Danielle changes her path from the phone to the sofa and kind of leaps/collapses on it. She lays there a little while and then pops her head back up]
D: Mom? Mom. Mom.
P: What Danielle?
[Angela comes down the stairs, but not all the way, just far enough so that she can be seen and heard]
A: The phone’s for Dad.
P: Well, could you tell him please?
A: You’re closer.
P: Angela—
D: I’ll tell him.
[Danielle goes to the kitchen, Angela retreats back upstairs. After the time it would take for Danielle to go to the kitchen and tell Graham that he has a phone call, she returns. Danielle pulls out a chair from the dining room table and sits on her knees, leaning onto the table]
D: Can I watch TV?
P: No, I’m working.
D: Then can I watch TV in your room?
P: Why don’t you read.
D: Because, I haven’t picked a new book yet.
[Graham comes out of the kitchen]
G: That was—
P: Hallie.
G: Yeah.
[turning his attention to Danielle] Hey, shouldn’t you be ready for your scout meeting?
D: I am ready. We don’t have to wear the uniforms.
G: Patty, you’re taking her, right?
P: Tonight? Does it look like I have time? You need to do it.
G: Patty,
[indicating the kitchen] I’m working.
P: You’re cooking. I’m working.
G: Danielle, go upstairs.
[adding something so as not to be so abrupt with her] Get ready to leave. [Danielle leaves, watching her parents as she goes. When she is gone, Graham turns back to Patty] Patty, what is going on?
P: I can’t talk about it right now.
G: Why not?
P: Because if I do, I’m going to say some things I shouldn’t.
G: Like what?
P: I’m going out. Take Danielle to Girl Scouts.
[Patty gets up, takes her coat and purse and leaves. As the door closes the phone rings and is very quickly answered, Graham hasn’t moved from where he stands. Angela comes down the stairs]
A: Dad. Phone.
G: Thanks.
[Graham moves towards the phone, Angela surveys the room and her father before going back upstairs. Graham picks up the phone] —Hallie—

[Graham, in his car, pulls up in front of a small well kept house. He does not shut the engine off. He doesn’t look at the house, he isn’t really looking at anything. The one thing he does do s reach over and unlock the passenger door. Within moments the door opens, and Hallie Lowenthal gets in.]
H: [referring to the running engine] Are we going somewhere?
G: I don’t think so.
H: Thanks for meeting me.
G: I had to drop my daughter off at scouts.
H: This is weird. I don’t even know why I asked you over. Does,
[pause] Patty know where you are?
G: Patty left.
[not liking that he gave this information out] She had some things, some errands to take care of.
H: So, um, this is strange right? We’re here…
G: I’ve, uh, been finalizing the menu … I’ve added some Mediterranean
H: Graham, we can’t talk about business.
G: —dishes.
H: Are you going to keep the engine running all night? You can come in the house…
G: I wasn’t really sure what I was coming here for … but, I don’t want this Hallie.
[pause, he looks at her] I don’t know how to say this... without... What happened that night we cooked for the investors… We can’t— I mean… I’m ma—
H: Graham. Please
[asking him to stop] You love your wife.
G:
[Exhaling, letting go of the momentum] Yeah, I do.
H: Look, I understand. No really, its fine, it’s actually better this way,
[Graham gives her a look] Now we can focus on— the business.
G: Okay… Good.
H: Now it’s all cleared up.
G: I don’t want this to affect our business relationship.
H:
[confidently] It won’t.
G:
[pause] Hallie, I’m sorry to do this, but, I’ve got to—
H: Go. I know.
G: You’ll be okay?
H: Me? Honey I’ll be fine.
G:
[Turning back to her for a moment] Look, I’m sorry if,—
H:
[she scrunches her face and shakes her head to “forget about it, it’s not an issue” and gets out of the] We’ll talk tomorrow, you can fill me in on what you’ve been cooking.
G:
[Resolutely] Right. Goodnight.
H: Goodnight.

[At the youth shelter: Rickie is led into a bedroom with six beds in it. (It is very similar to the room seen in “Resolutions” because it is the same facility. Rickie looks around, his things are placed on a bed. It looks as though the bags have been riffled through. The bed is unmade but there is a stack of clean linens, a towel, a bar of soap, a toothbrush and toothpaste. One bed is occupied by a guy, about seventeen years old, reading a car magazine. On another bed sits to boys, about fifteen and sixteen years old, playing cards. The other boys are not currently in the room. Rickie awkwardly moves towards the bed with his things on it, kind of half smiles and quickly hand gestures a modest “hello” to the other boys, which they don’t acknowledge. Rickie self-consciously begins to sort through and arrange his things.]

[Patty pulls up in the Chase driveway. The front lights are on, but the house is dark. She walks into the house, turns off the porch lights, quietly puts down her purse and coat down by the door, and passes by the dining room without glancing at her work, and crosses to the stairs. She does not turn on the lights, and walks up the stairs much like Angela does in the pilot. Slowly pushing their bedroom door open, she sees Graham sitting up in bed, his bedside lamp on low.
G: Hi. [Patty goes into the bathroom, again does not turn on the lights, quickly puts her nightgown on and brushes her teeth, and then gingerly gets into bed, after which Graham turns off his lamp and lies down too. They lay there a while, distant and silent, then Graham moves over to her and holds her tightly. Patty shudders a breath, she looks like she might be contemplating shrugging him off, she doesn’t, but she lies there stiffly. Graham pays no attention to this; he holds her tighter and nestles his head in her neck. Eventually she reaches to hold his arms to her, and kisses his forearm lying across her chest.]

[Angela’s room is dark except for her closet light. Dresses for bed, she comes to her window when she hears light taps knocking against it. She sees Jordan (he’s thrown something small at her window) and then leaves the window.

Quick time lapse. Jordan is sitting on the Chase’s front steps in the dark. Angela comes out the front door dressed in sweats. She quietly sits next to him. No words are exchanged, they don’t touch, Jordan sits stiffly, staring ahead, Angela only looks at him for a moment. They sit like this for a few moments, and then Jordan relaxes and shuts his eyes. He leans his head down over his arms, which rest on his legs. After a little while he reaches out and holds the bare toes of Angela’s closest foot. After a little while longer, she lifts her hand to his back and gently rubs it.
]

End Episode
Last edited by Jody Barsch* on Apr 12th 2006, 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Apr 10th 2006, 4:48 am

Okay, that's it until summer vacation (there's three more episodes that I have a little work on, but it will take a long time before any of them are completed). Anyway, hope you have fun reading these new ones.

My original ending to #23:
[Jordan is sitting in the loft on a low couch, lightly strumming a song on his acoustic guitar. He gives up, and sits it on the floor, holding the neck between his knees. After a while he plucks a note. His back is to the entrance, the camera is far back — wide shots. Angela walks in quietly, and stands for a few moments at the entrance. Jordan picks the guitar back up, begins playing again for only a few chords, and then gives a final loud strum in frustration and stops playing. Angela softly crosses the room and goes and sits next to him. No words are exchanged, they don’t touch, Jordan sits stiff, staring ahead, Angela does not look at him, but patiently sits, they sit like this for a few moments, then Jordan relaxes and shuts his eyes.]

Even though I hesitated to use the cliché image of throwing pebbles at a girl’s window, I changed the scene because I couldn’t justify how Angela would get over to the loft so late at night.

(I love Hallie Lowenthal, but I just don’t feel like I’m doing any good writing her. I can’t capture that “Well, this utterly sucks” quality. I do love working in that sage-like Cynthia Hargrove though. :mrgreen: )

queen of brooklyn
Tino

perfect

Post by queen of brooklyn » Apr 11th 2006, 6:29 pm

Wow. That was soooo good. I read alot of my so-called life fanfiction (here and on fanfiction.net) and I have to say you are the best writer I've come across so far. I love the way you develop things subtly. Like with Rayanne and Brian, the whole idea of the two having a 'relationship' is so...hard to imagine, yet you did it perfectly. Congratulations! haha
HOW do you come up with all your little bits of dialogue between characters?! I've been writing a story, and I always want to jump right into my "main event" and I can never think of ways to slow it down and make it seem more natural.
Hmmm...(I'm just saying all this as it comes to me, so this is probably fairly random) I really liked the bit when Jordan grabbed her toes. That was so weird, I had to double-check I had read it right. I kept thinking, did she mean...fingers? I don't know why, but the idea of him reaching over and putting his hand on her foot made me laugh. But I liked it alot, cause it was natural and wasn't something you'd normally expect.
I am a huge fan of Jordan Catalano, and I get so sick of reading the stories where he becomes perfect automatically and he is attentive and caring. Your stories are so fun to read because it feels just like him but he's so loveable.
So, do you know where you're going with the rest of this story? I've read your stuff on that storyline post, your ideas for each episode, but by now you must have figured some more stuff out. Want to share, or are you going to keep us in suspense? haha thankyou so much for updating and please write as often as you can!! I can't wait to read what happens next!!

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Re: perfect

Post by Jody Barsch* » Apr 13th 2006, 12:41 am

Wow, thanks so much for the feedback, I’m glad that you enjoyed them.

About the toes … I’m so happy that stood out to you. I think it’s those small things actions that show the level of intimacy between two people. I’m trying to find ways of showing that Angela and Jordan are progressing beyond their original dynamic and that there is some substance to their relationship. (I made it toes because it’s something between my boyfriend and myself. (And hey, as I’m writing this, it occurs to me that we could tie it back to “Pressure” and the Chirsky’s intimacy video that says we all store sexual energy in our feet).) (As to the initial confusion, I wouldn’t think that my original post of ‘closet’ instead of ‘closest’ [foot] helped any.)

About the dialogue … I totally agree, writing the dialogue of the supporting scenes, or even figuring out what those supporting scenes should be, is difficult (note my many possible scene to be added inserts). One thing that definitely helps me is the infrequency of my working on these episodes. i.e. I’ll work on them for three straight days, but then not look at them again for say another seven months. After being away for so long, I come back as a more objective reader, with new ideas, or a new perspective. (It’s funny, sometimes I’ll come back to the writing and delete whole pages, and in other cases and I’ll unknowingly write an almost word-for-word duplicate scene of something I wrote a year earlier.) Although work and other daily commitments, and other writing projects are the main reason I work on the episodes so sporadically, the other reason I do it is that when I’m stumped, it helps to put them away until I’ve brainstormed possible solutions.
As for expanding scenes or figuring out what other scenes should be included, it’s often just a case of filling in the blanks. Like you, I start with the scenes that I originally wanted to get down. Then I’ll look at what I have and ask myself questions like the following: How did the story/character(s) get from this point to this? How have the events affected he other characters? What are the character’s motivations? Why is the character doing this instead of that? But sometimes it’s as basic as, okay Jordan was just walking down the halls with his friends, the next scene can’t have him already in the boiler room, so something has to come in between. I do not write my episodes chronologically.
I definitely do have a hard time with it, and I don’t feel like I come close to the original show in terms of its humor and the characters’ joy for life. Characters that give me particular trouble are, like I said, Hallie Lowenthal, Sharon (I have no idea what to do with her in terms of her own stories), and Rickie when he’s happy (I feel like I’m keeping Rickie troubled because I don’t know how to write him otherwise, and by doing that, I’m doing his character a great disservice). Sometimes I have trouble with Patty, particularly when it comes to her quips. I also feel like my Angela isn’t as dynamic as she is in the show, and while I like the Jordan I’m creating, I’m not totally convinced that it’s terribly faithful to the character the show created. (Am I just projecting things onto him as Angela did???)

On the topic of Jordan in fanfiction, I agree with you; I have never really been satisfied with what I have seen in other fanfictions do with his character. (Which well might have been my motivation in writing my own.) I don’t think that there’s anything in the series to suggest that Jordan would instantaneously change his personality as a result of getting back together with Angela. It doesn’t seem like Angela and Jordan’s relationship will ever develop into the kind of dating that she imagined when she was younger. I don’t think that they will ever share friends, or go to dances, etc. but I also don’t think that that means they will never have a meaningful relationship. I do think that it’s important that we see that he does care about her, and that we see that she is getting something back from this relationship; otherwise, as much as I love Jordan, I couldn’t support Angela staying with him. (Plus, if he can tell her mother that he needs Angela, he can get over himself and tell her.) It seems that after losing her, and trying like he did to get her back, Jordan won’t be so entirely stoic this time around.
queen of brooklyn wrote:Your stories are so fun to read because it feels just like him but he's so loveable.
What a wonderful compliment, thank you.

Rayanne and Brian … That was one of those things that I never planned on including in my stories. It totally just happened, so suddenly that I actually surprised myself when I wrote it. I knew I wanted something crazy to happen with Rayanne at the cast party, and I don’t know, it just seemed to fit. I think it’s a totally weird situation, but it makes me laugh, and there’s a lot in the actual series kind of setting us up for its possibility, so I just went with it. I’m relieved to hear that you felt like it worked. I had already written the scene in the next episode in which Jordan insinuates that Brian never gets any before I wrote the Brian and Rayanne thing, which I hope ended up making it even funnier.

About what’s coming next … I’m not really sure. To be honest, I really haven’t gotten much further on the last three episodes than where I was when I originally posted this thread. I’m thinking that in #24 there will definitely be a story line with Danielle, but I think that’s the only new thing I’ve come up with. Now I have to resolve the confusion about Rickie’s living situation since he’s in the shelter, but the Chases were misinformed and now believe him to be living in Pride House (their reason for not taking him in again). No idea what I’m going to do with that (it was a last minute story twist). I’m now starting to rethink my #25 which was going to be the weekend away … it seems too TV show cliché (wasn’t One Tree Hill advertising a weekend-away-in-a-cabin episode recently?), I want to be careful that I don’t move my stories beyond the reality of the actual lives of teenagers. Anyway, although I like the few scenes I have written for that episode, I’m at a total loss for what more can be written (it also calls for other friends, and I hesitate to introduce new characters. Oh, Angela might be getting her driver's permit! I will be writing the pregnancy episode, because I’m finding it pretty amusing, but I think it's going to happen separate from the storyline I’ve created (kind of like the “Isaac and Ishmael” episode of The West Wing). Similarly, I’m thinking I might eventually actually try writing an episode with Angela and Brian getting together. I kind of talk a little about my thoughts on that here).
It is, indeed, a truth that we sometimes entertain feelings for someone – feelings we never had for them before – after being told how the other person feels – the flattery, the unexplored possibilities, the thrill – wheels start turning in your mind, and sometimes takes you to very unexpected places.

PS as people read #23, did anybody think that I was setting Rickie and Jordan up for a make-out session? I wasn’t really setting out to do it, but as I reread what I wrote I thought it seemed like it could be read that way. It totally made me laugh.

lalaisfun
Frozen Embryo

I really enjoyed it.

Post by lalaisfun » Apr 13th 2006, 12:17 pm

I have to admit that writing fanfictions sometimes can be hard to do, but I like your stories. In episode #23, I love the insight that you put into the characters and how everything is affecting the mood of the story. I enjoy how you had the realistic view of what will happen when someone is physically abused like Jordan Catalano, and how someone like Angela will try to help, even though she has no clue or expirience in the situation. The thing that kind of confused me was with Angela and Rayanne. The whole issue still lingers there and the fact that Angela came to her for advice surprised me, but I can defenatly buy it. Rickie's situation almost made me cry, believe it or not, but I guess it tends to happen when you are close to people that had gone thru the same struggle. I like how the similarities in Rickie and Jordan reflect and how they both kind of confide in each other in times of trouble. Like in the episode So-called Angels. Jordan is defenatly lost in what he has to do, and anyone will be if they were in the same situation with nowhere to turn, like a locked alley and the only exit is your worst struggle to fight with. I feel for Brian, I think that he always ends up being the one to get caught up in the middle and always gets blamed for it. The part that i enjoyed the most was the finale. Yeah, it was a little clicheic (not sure that this is a word) but it always works to bring that extra something. Keep up the good work and I honestly hope that you keep on going with the story.

p.s. * I appreciate that you came back, (ingrid - in case you didn't know - from myspace) and as a loyal fan that I am to your story I reviewed and said what it thought about the recent chapter.

Take care

:wink:

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Apr 13th 2006, 1:18 pm

I read your comments on the other thread :D and answered it too. I wrote both responses last night, but my dad needed the computer again before I could post my reply to you. Thanks so much for the feedback, I really appreciate it!!! :sunshine:
Last edited by Jody Barsch* on Apr 23rd 2006, 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

queen of brooklyn
Tino

Post by queen of brooklyn » Apr 13th 2006, 8:50 pm

I didn’t even think about the intimacy video, but that’s perfect!! haha That was absolutely hilarious watching Brian and Rickie when they saw the video. And Rickie’s comment about bicycle shorts… Yeah, he is a pretty hard character to write when he’s happy. I mainly see people either write him as troubled or all best friends with Delia. I don’t think either way portrays all sides of him accurately. But what you’ve done so far with Pride House is good, because that whole thing was never really tied up in MSCL. It was just left to be picked up later on, because clearly him living with Mr. Katimski couldn’t last that long. So is Mr. Katimski really fired and completely gone? Or are we ever going to see him again? Oh, and also with Rickie, I think his character on the show went through a lot of changes too. Like in the beginning, we saw him dealing with bullies and not fitting in, but he was mainly happy and rather passive in regards to Rayanne. Towards the end more things started happening to him, and I think he really grew and became stronger. He started standing up to Rayanne and being honest with people. He changed, and I don’t really think he would ever be quite as dreamy (“Don’t you love the way he leans?”) or…argh, it’s really hard to even describe how he was. But do you know what I mean? How we mostly saw him putting on eyeliner or as Rayanne’s sidekick? (at least in the first few episodes, we never saw the more serious side of him) Anyways, I think my point is that if you want to show a happy side to him, you could really do whatever you want with it. (wow, that was long and complicated for such a simple point! :D )

I think you actually write Patty very well. For instance…
P: [chuckles] You think of Jordan Catalano as James Dean?
G: Well, he’s certainly without a cause.

You really captured the way they relate to each other and bring in all these outside references in their conversations. Really, don’t be too hard on yourself, you’re writing Patty great!

I don’t think with Jordan you are just projecting things onto him. There’s only one scene that I thought may have been a little too sweet of him, but it’s too wonderful for you to get rid of! The balance between sweet Jordan and cool Jordan is perfect. I really like how even though their relationship is maturing, they are still not completely comfortable with each other. It doesn’t feel like the relationship is just rushing straight into this serious thing, instead you take a couple steps forward and then a step or two back. I really liked the bit when they were talking in Angela’s kitchen! When Jordan asks her when she’s going to learn to drive… haha But that was really cool, because they were learning more about each other and just hanging out together. But then in your last episode, there were still scenes of Jordan kind of brushing her off, which I thought was very realistic. I love how Jordan’s friends know who she is- like when the one friend mentions Jordan’s lady and Cynthia says she’s the girl he’s not sleeping with. I live for little moments like that!

So did Rayanne and Brian actually have sex, or did they just make out? Brian says that her shirt was off, but it was never entirely clear if they actually went all the way. Brian was awfully calm about the whole thing if they really did! I mean, as he ever even kissed a girl before her? Poor guy, all these changes… Also, are they completely over? Or would they still maybe hook up occasionally? I think it’s good that both characters separately realized what they would do to Angela and began to have doubts. Rickie is so insightful too! I didn’t realize it, but when Rickie said that Rayanne was trying to live Angela’s life still, it just clicked that that was probably a lot of her motive…subconsciously at least.

I think Jordan handles things well. I mean seriously, the assistant principal was bringing up Angela, his friend knows Jordan hangs out a lot with her…but he doesn’t act all ashamed or embarrassed, he just deals with it.

The weekend away… could either seem realistic or not, depending on how you handle it. Angela getting drunk, for example, would have to be very believable. And Jordan and Rayanne locked together…hm, totally not sure I like that idea. I swear, Rayanne just can’t control herself! Oh, that reminds me, you never explained what was causing Rayanne’s crazy behavior in Isolation. Was it anything to do with Brian, or was there some other reason? It reminded me a lot of how crazy she got when her Dad sent her that money. That’s a potential storyline…her Dad making a brief appearance in her life, or wanting her to go visit him. Oh, wait. Back to the weekend thing. I agree that it doesn’t seem believable for them to just go away for a weekend. I mean, I just can’t picture Jordan’s group putting that much effort into going somewhere if they just wanted to party. They could do that in their town. But if you already have a plausible reason for it, then go ahead!

Okay, Jordan and Rickie’s living situation. I don’t think Rickie would tell the Chase’s he wasn’t living at Pride House. I would say that he would leave the shelter, but that’s already been done! I have no clue. And Jordan. So he’s not living at home anymore? Where’s he gonna be? Or is he going to go back home? So he must have gotten drunk the night that him and Angela were in the car and he invited her to the lake. Interesting.

Um, so yeah. I’m not sure I really have a lot of other suggestions for storylines.
If any come to me, I’ll let you know!

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Apr 23rd 2006, 2:11 am

Thanks Queen of B. for the feedback, I'm really enjoying this. :D I'm going to respond in the other thread just 'cause it's on the lines of what will happen in the other episodes. (I'm not sure why I'm doing this, because I actually don't care which thread things get posted in - I think I just had the idea that it would be easier for people to read the episodes if there wasn't a lot of discussion of them in between, but that's kind of silly isn't it?)

oaksand
Overlooked Sibling

Post by oaksand » May 2nd 2006, 3:07 pm

Wow, I just read your episodes and as a fellow Jordan Catalano fan I think you have captured his character just right. By developing him as a character in his own right not just in relation to Angela we can see his motivation and why he is 'the way he is'.

I like the development of the other characters also especially letting Brian 'get some', when I mentioned this the other day I hadn't read this so I found it quite bizarre!

Not sure about the weekend away how are you approaching this a school outing perhaps otherwise I don't think Angela would be allowed, also Angela and Brian as a potential couple kind of repulses me!

I do see Angela and Jordan having sex though shortly as if they are both 'in love' why not. I have always thought that I must be a slapper 'cos I so would have with Jordan although not in 'the house'!

Anyway this must be some labour of love for you as this thread has been going for some time now but keep it up 'cos it is worth it can't wait for the next one.

Gotta go, later.