Jared Leto on Fametracker

Discuss former or new projects of Jared Leto ("Jordan Catalano") in this forum.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Jared Leto on Fametracker

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 22nd 2004, 9:32 pm

Jared Leto received the Fame Audit today:
Name Jared Leto
Audit Date November 22, 2004
Age 32
Occupation Actor, reluctant dreamboat
Experience 19 films, one lamented cult TV show

Assessment:
Is it possible to be too pretty? You might think that, on one level, Hollywood is just a big foot race of the gorgeous, with all those impossibly beautiful mugs craned out to kiss the finish line first. After all, when your job consists essentially of having your face projected sixty feet high, it helps if that face is pleasant to gaze upon.

And this year seemed to bear that theory out, with Jude Law, the Human Time Bomb of Unworldly Hotness, exploding finally, his mega-watt hotness vaulting him to his rightful place at the top of the...er, movie-star, light-bulb, time-bomb, pole-vaulting...um, pile. (Sorry, that metaphor totally got away from us.) Law's blindingly beautiful mug, after all, is featured on countless magazine covers and in six movies this fall. But the movies have sputtered, and so the resultant question hasn't been, "Why did it take so long for America to fall for this dreamy Adonis?" but, rather, "Is Jude Law too pretty to be a leading man?" For counsel on the matter, he might want to consult that other angel-faced, wheel-spinning semi-star: Jared Leto.

Leto arrives on screens this week in Alexander, Oliver Stone's terrible-looking film with the beautiful-looking cast. The film stars Colin Farrell, a pretty boy whose angelic countenance is studiously tempered by the Guinness on his breath. Over there, with the fake scars on his face, is Val Kilmer, another one-time dreamboat with real acting chops, who's also waged a tortured personal battle with his own good looks until time, the (apparent) surgeon's knife and, in this movie, gobs of fake makeup all cloaked his moony mug.

And there, lurking in the background, is the tastily named Hephaestion, played by Jared Leto. He, of course, came to everyone's attention as the swoon-inducing Jordan on My So-Called Life. He has the kind of face that causes preteen girls to rip the cover from Teen Beat immediately and tape it to their wall, right over a yellowing Kirk Cameron.

So if ever a man seemed poised for stardom, this was him. The distinctive name. The acting skills. The...sudden moustache, which he grew for his leading role in Prefontaine.

Yes, Prefontaine, which was, by all accounts, a very good film, with a very good performance by Leto as -- wait for it -- a prickly long-distance runner. With a moustache.

Though he made a brief, diversionary stab at teen-beat stardom with Urban Legends, Leto's subsequent career has been made up of roles designed to distract us from -- and in some case, actively mutilate -- his beatific visage. In Fight Club, he actually plays a guy named Angel Face, who then gets that face pounded to pulp. In Panic Room, he's an implausibly beautiful thug who gets badly burned. In Requiem for a Dream, he's a sad junkie who winds up as an amputee -- Leto, it seems, can't stop mashing, frying, or carving up his own person. And his heartfelt performances are always made only slightly less plausible by our suspicion that he could, at any time, escape his dead-end life by signing on as a model for Abercrombie & Fitch.

Acting-wise, Leto's doing a lot of interesting things. Fame-wise, he's spinning his wheels, now best known as The Guy Who Dated Cameron Diaz Right Before Justin Timberlake Did. Meanwhile, other pretty boys like Paul Walker have embraced their genetic good fortune, riding it, unquestioning, to glory.

You'd never think that in Hollywood, of all places, excessive beauty could actually turn out to be a liability. But Leto's battled his own beauty at every turn. Which is too bad, because while he's busy burning, mutilating, or otherwise defiling the temple of his hotness, Paul Walker's scooping up a lot of roles, and that guy can't act worth a lick.

Assets:

• Way too pretty

• He can act! Even with a moustache! Especially with a moustache!

• You have to know that great glories have been laid out at his feet, and he chose instead to sign with Darren Aronofsky to play a sweaty junkie

Liabilities:

• Way too pretty

• Though he's never starred in a WB show, seems like he should have starred in a WB show

• Unfortunately, Requiem for a Dream blew. Yes, it did.

Fame Barometer
Current approximate level of fame: Stuart Townsend
Deserved approximate level of fame: Adrien Brody
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

TooCool4Skool
Liberty High Student

Post by TooCool4Skool » Nov 23rd 2004, 12:47 am

I liked Requiem For A dream!

And I'm glad he wasn't ever on a WB show, or Abercrombie and Fitch model!
Moltar- Well hey, Thom asked me if he could see my knife, and Thom's doing a song about knife, and he wanted to see what one looked like. Isn't that right Thom? (Pulls out knife again)
Space Goast- (Turns to Thom Yorke) Is that right?
Thom- ...No.
Space Goast- Cuz it sounds like a good idea... so do it.

-Space Goast With Thom Yorke

schris
Between Names

Post by schris » Nov 23rd 2004, 12:29 pm

This morning Jared Leto did an interview on a local radio station here to talk about Alexander and his band 30 Seconds to Mars. It was a great way to start the morning! :D

wicked
Catalano

Post by wicked » Nov 23rd 2004, 1:03 pm

Requim for a dream is one of my all time favorite films.
It is however a hard film to watch, so I can see how somepeople either wouldn't get it, or just wouldn't want to watch it.:)
HOW seriously can you take a reviewer who says somthing "blows" ? :shock:
"So this is hell. I'd never have believed it. You remember all we were told about the torture-chambers, the fire and brimstone, the "burning marl." Old wive's tales! There's no need for red-hot pokers. HELL IS - OTHER PEOPLE!"

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Nov 23rd 2004, 2:38 pm

I am sorry, but any movie with Jennifer Connelly and a double-ended...errr... well let's just say a movie with that can't "blow".

:twisted: :oops: :twisted:

wicked
Catalano

Post by wicked » Nov 23rd 2004, 5:05 pm

fnordboy wrote:I am sorry, but any movie with Jennifer Connelly and a double-ended...errr... well let's just say a movie with that can't "blow".

roflmao!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"So this is hell. I'd never have believed it. You remember all we were told about the torture-chambers, the fire and brimstone, the "burning marl." Old wive's tales! There's no need for red-hot pokers. HELL IS - OTHER PEOPLE!"

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Nov 23rd 2004, 8:48 pm

fnordboy wrote:I am sorry, but any movie with Jennifer Connelly and a double-ended...errr... well let's just say a movie with that can't "blow".

I haven't seen Requim for a dream, but now I might have to.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Nov 24th 2004, 12:00 am

Nothingman wrote:

I haven't seen Requim for a dream, but now I might have to.
Make sure to rent the uncut version....

Unfortunately by that point of the movie you have been on such an emotional rollercoaster that it really does nothing for you :(

I have probably said too much :oops:

TooCool4Skool
Liberty High Student

Post by TooCool4Skool » Nov 24th 2004, 12:23 am

I have only seen the cut version...

What is the difference- Do they cut out unnessary conversations or anything??
Moltar- Well hey, Thom asked me if he could see my knife, and Thom's doing a song about knife, and he wanted to see what one looked like. Isn't that right Thom? (Pulls out knife again)
Thom- ...No.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Nov 24th 2004, 2:03 am

TooCool4Skool wrote:I have only seen the cut version...

What is the difference- Do they cut out unnessary conversations or anything??
It is only 2 edits (IIRC) of a sexual nature. I think they were small enough to not even change the overall run time. The uncut DVD is full of extras though so right there alone it is worth seeing the uncut. If you saw it in the theater you saw the uncut version.

TooCool4Skool
Liberty High Student

Post by TooCool4Skool » Nov 24th 2004, 12:02 pm

One more question...

Where can you actually buy the uncut version???
Thom- ...No.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Nov 24th 2004, 1:08 pm

TooCool4Skool wrote:One more question...

Where can you actually buy the uncut version???
Any store should have it. Just stay away from like a Blockbuster, or other family oriented rental place that sells copies. Best Buy has it for sure. Amazon. Just look for "Director's Cut"

TooCool4Skool
Liberty High Student

Post by TooCool4Skool » Nov 24th 2004, 5:14 pm

THANKS! :D
Thom- ...No.

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Nov 28th 2004, 5:31 pm

Yeah, I thought Requiem was a good movie. I don't know if I liked it enough to buy a copy for my collection, but I'd certainly see it again if the opportunity came up. I know a few people with copies themselves, anyway. Marlon Wayons looked pretty good in that movie, too!
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Nov 28th 2004, 7:28 pm

well, getting back to the posted article, I think that Brad Pitt did the same thing as far as trying to hide his prettiness. if you'll remember, most of his films in the nineties consisted of him being drug addicts or crazy people. remember his long hair phase? but now, it seems as though he has embraced his good looks and is going after the big roles while he still can.

I do, however, commend Jared for choosing roles that are actually challenging and don't rely so much on his looks. it shows the range of his talent. just wish that he would act more. I'm also a huge fan of Requiem for a Dream. one of the most emotional films I've ever seen. everyone in the film did a marvelous job. and I can't tell you how angry I was when Ellen Burstyn lost out on an oscar to Julia Roberts. grrh. but that's a long rant I won't even start.