They let people like me own homes?

If you want to share some events in your life or thoughts about life in general with other MSCL fans or if you just want post a rant to let some steam off - this is the place.
Forum Newbies: Please introduce yourself here!
Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Aug 19th 2004, 6:54 pm

It's beautiful NM! I'm so excitied for you. Does [this mean] you have to get your hands on a lawn mower now?

Um ... yeah, I don't know what happened to my grammar up there, I think I deleted part of my sentence. Oh, right, I say that now...
Last edited by Jody Barsch* on Aug 19th 2004, 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Aug 19th 2004, 6:59 pm

Jody Barsch* wrote:It's beautiful NM! I'm so excitied for you. Does you have to get your hands on a lawn mower now?
Thanks, and I does have to get my hands on a lawn mower. My coworker is letting me use his for the rest of the season while he's building his house. Then I'll shop the fall sales. I ran my own lawncare business in highschool so I actually enjoy mowing the lawn, I don't know if that's strange or not.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Aug 19th 2004, 9:11 pm

so I actually enjoy mowing the lawn, I don't know if that's strange or not.
I wouldn't know. I have absolutely no expereince with lawns.

I ran my own lawncare business in highschool
Were you part of the Lawn Wranglers?

"By the way man, he was right. Just cuz it's a front doesn't mean somebody doesn't have to do the actual landscaping"
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 20th 2004, 12:39 am

Nothingman wrote:I sent my mom to the paint store and they had some process of selecting color in order to create a relaxing room. We're thinking the opposite wall to the bed will be maroon, but the rest will be a more neutral green base. Then she'll make some smaller pillows out of tapestry that has burgundy, gold and green in it. Green to tie in the walls and cold to tie in the oak funiture.

Megs, I like both of your suggestions. I like the tan, except it's the same color as my bedroom set so I wouldn't have much personality. The green one is great, and would be what I'd normally go for, but my living room has a lot of green in it, and I'd like to do something different in the bedroom.
Great idea, NM. Color is very important in setting the tone of a room. Green is very calming, specifically a light mossy kind of green. I remember I was a freshman in high school when I learned that is the reason why many mental wards paint their walls that color. This sort of color:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product ... 2940&RN=26&

One of my chores growing up was mowing the lawn and dealing with the landscaping. I remember trimming dozens of hibiscus bushes, which line the entire front yard. Although I do love plants and flowers and trees, I HATE mowing lawns and gardening in general now.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 20th 2004, 7:55 pm

NM, I thought of you when I saw this article.

:mrgreen:

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Aug 24th 2004, 6:36 pm

Saturday was the day of the big move. I had taken a few loads over during the week, but Saturday I rented a Uhaul and did all the large stuff. I picked up the truck at 9 am and did three loads to the house. Then at 2 pm we all had to stop for a drink and cheese steaks. I had help from my coworker/new roommate and one of my hockey buddies and I couldn’t have done it with out them. I must say it was much easier to move with a couple guys then it used to be with the ex, no debating on the best way to do it, just load and unload.

I had a friend who came into town to visit Saturday night and so we set up my bed and inflated the air mattress for him and went downtown. I not sure the first night in the house really counts because I kinda passed out. Sunday it actually sank in where I was at. I’m really liking it so far, now that I’m out of my old place I’m really excited about my place.

Sunday I moved some smaller stuff but I really didn’t accomplish much more than my laundry, I was too tired from the day before. Monday the cleaning began. I started in the toughest area, the bathrooms and finished everything but the floor in them. The tub took forever brushing the mildew out of the tile grout. Today I my landlord said she found someone to take over my lease, which is great news. The downside is they want to move in Thursday which means I need to be out by Wednesday at 4 pm for the carpet cleaners. Tonight will be all out cleaning war, I’m hoping to get it finished so I don’t have to take the morning off to get it finished.

Once I’m done with the old place I will actually be able to start unpacking at the house. My bed is set up and the bathroom is stocked but that is about it. And my parents are coming this weekend to help paint. It will be nice to have some extra hands, but I’m dreaming of the day I can come home and relax.

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Aug 25th 2004, 4:27 am

Wow. That sounds like a ton of work. It feels so good when it's done though, doesn't it.

And I totally hear you on the ex thing; when I move house I'm all 'now surely we should do it this way...' :roll:

I just have one question:
Nothingman wrote: cheese steaks.
What is one of these? I am a cheese freak; I need to know.

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 25th 2004, 4:48 am

Mmmmm, cheese steaks...

From Pat's King of Steaks:
The Original
Pat's King of Steaks® Philadelphia Cheese Steak recipe

For all the people who can not get to South Philadelphia to get the Original. here is the recipe for you home chefs.

Serves 4

24oz thin sliced rib eye or eye roll steak
6 table spoons of Soya bean oil
Cheese {we recommend Cheez Whiz®} American or Provolone works fine
4 crusty Italian Rolls
1 large Spanish onion

Optional
sweet green and red peppers sautéed in oil
Mushrooms sautéed in oil

Assembly
Heat an iron skillet or a non stick pan over medium heat
add 3 tablespoons of oil to the pan and sauté the onions to desired doneness
remove the onions
add the remaining oil and sauté the slices of meat quickly on both sides
melt the cheez Whiz® in a double boiler or in the microwave
place 6oz. of the meat into the rolls
add onions, and pour the Cheez Whiz® over top
garnish with hot or fried sweet peppers, mushrooms, ketchup

Put on the theme song to the first Rocky movie and enjoy!

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Aug 25th 2004, 5:08 am

Sounds quite nice, I must say. But excuse me if I skip the cheez whiz. I can even sense the chemicals in that name! :wink: No doubt I will have to try this at home... it's the sort of thing Mr. S loves - but then he loves steak from Denny's (I'm SO ashamed of him sometimes :oops: )

http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Aug 25th 2004, 11:44 am

The famous Pickle Barrel cheese steak: steak, onions, montarey jack, and a special bbq sauce. Basics to a cheese steak are steak and cheese heated up on the grill and placed on a hoggie, beyond that, there are a million variations. And then of course there is debate on who started it first and what the original recipe was. I don't care, I just want to eat one.

I finished cleaning and took a load back to the house and finally went to bed at 1:30 am. The apt is completely clean, there are a couple small nicks in the wall my landlord can charge me for. I don't have time to fix them. The garage is still sprawled full of misc. stuff that I need to take over. That is tonight's job, but compared to cleaning it should be cake, even if it keeps raining. The important thing is the carpet cleaners can get in today. It amazes me how much lint and dust there was. I keep a really clean house compared to my freinds and it was never ending, dust and hair everywhere. I vacum about once a week, do I need to do it more often or is this just the way it is? Anyway, it's done and I'm not moving for a long long time.

My parents are coming to visit this weekend and see my house. Our plan is to paint the living room and bedroom. Should be an adventure, but I'm excited to have some help. My dad can wonder around fixing things and I'll turn my mom loose on the kitchen. My dad gave me some good news last night, a friend of the family gave me a table saw that I had been eyeing at their garage sale, my first non-hand tool. Finally, something other than linens for the house. :)

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Aug 25th 2004, 1:28 pm

Nothingman wrote:I don't care, I just want to eat one.
:lol: Classic. I don't mind a good steak every now and then, but I can do without the melted cheese (but the jack cheese sounds a lot better than cheese whiz)
Nothingman wrote:My dad gave me some good news last night, a friend of the family gave me a table saw that I had been eyeing at their garage sale, my first non-hand tool. Finally, something other than linens for the house. :)
That's exciting! When I first moved into my current apartment, I was over at my parents' every weekend using all of his tools -- sanding, sawing, drilling, painting, I love making things for my house, and as my dad says, there's nothing like having the right tool for the job when you need it!

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Apr 8th 2006, 6:06 am

Maybe two months ago I finally took apart my old wood bed that my dad and I constructed for college, and made the big move from a twin to a queen. Oh, it is glorious. Anyway, I thought of this thread as I was buying new sheets - there's green and white herringbone, blue sateen stripes, flowers, orange paisley, blush flannels, and only one set of whites. I thought you'd be proud. I'm currently quilting a duvet with kind of urban prints and great colors.

(Now, this post is probably a bit unnecessary, but as it is currently 2:55am, and I am now on a unabashed posting frenzy as I stay awake waiting for someone, I'm just going to go ahead with it.)

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Apr 8th 2006, 7:10 pm

Once you have a big bed, you can't go back! I always had a full sized bed at my parents' house, so when I was forced into twin sized bed in the dorms I felt like I was always about to fall off because it was so narrow. Now I have a queen sized bed and I looooove it. I get really excited when I buy awesome new bedding too, so go crazy.

:lol:

My absolute favorite sheets are the cotton jersey ones. No, make that the sateen ones - they are so smooth and soft. I had high hopes for some awesome flannel sheets I received as a gift, but they ended up getting really pill-y very quickly.

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Apr 8th 2006, 9:00 pm

candygirl, I felt the same way about twin size beds in the dorms after growing up with a full. Now, at my boyfriend's parents' house they have teeny tiny twin beds in their sons' rooms. (And they have a king, go figure.) Whenever I go to visit them with my bf, I sleep in one of those twin beds (which I swear are smaller and shorter than a normal twin - I'm 5'6" and MY feet hang off the end!) I am always smacking my hands and feet into the wall, because they keep the beds pushed all the way into the corners of the room. Once I bumped my head even, too. Oh MAN it drives me crazy! I find it really strange mostly because my boyfriend and his brother are big & tall guys, and their folks never upgraded them to bigger beds when they grew bigger. My bf's mom even tried to talk him into getting a twin bed when he moved into an apartment, and I put the kabbash to that. If my boyfriend and I ever get married, his folks are going to have to get at least a full in one of those bedrooms for when we visit.

I still don't have a bed in my apartment because I haven't had the money since the whole flea debacle - which I posted about somewhere else here, can't remember. I did purchase a futon for my living room, though, and I've been sleeping on that. I can't wait to get a bed for my bedroom though, hopefully by the end of the summer.

Oh, and for sheets you always have to go with 300-count or above - always. And I love the sateen too!
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~