Moving

If you want to share some events in your life or thoughts about life in general with other MSCL fans or if you just want post a rant to let some steam off - this is the place.
Forum Newbies: Please introduce yourself here!
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 18th 2005, 3:30 am

Awww, that was nice of your boyfriend's dad to help you move too! Hope you get unpacked and settled in soon!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Dec 2nd 2005, 6:04 pm

So I've been in this new place for almost two months now. The first week was fine - unpacking stuff, getting used to the place. The second week... I discover there are FLEAS - that's right, fleas - in my new apartment. Plus the windows/screens weren't finished. PLUS there is also a fly problem, and the storage closet reeks of cigarettes (no offense to those who smoke, I don't, so I don't particularily want my stuff to smell like it) so I can barely use that closet for anything. The fleas is the worst part. I have so many bites all over me it's horrible. They FINALLY came and sprayed in here on Monday, but one time will not be enough.

Yesterday I found out the guy across the hall from me is moving out this weekend. I already contacted my landlord about transferring over to his apartment once he's vacated, and it looks like it will probably work out. I really really really hope so, even though moving again will suck at least it would be after the semester is over and I'd have some time. Also, "just across the hall" means no boxes are needed. Just a million little trips, My boyfriend can help me move the big stuff one afternoon (he owes me since he's missing my grad ceremony). The other bad thing is that I'll have to do all the change of address, transfer utility services, etc. Hopefully I can get the landlord to pay for some of that? UEERRRGGGHHHUUERRAAAAAHHHHH! :evil: This whole damn thing has just been an awful, awful hassle.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

pgh kenny
Angelica

Post by pgh kenny » Dec 2nd 2005, 11:35 pm

Fleas are the worst.
SanDeE* wrote:So I've been in this new place for almost two months now. The first week was fine - unpacking stuff, getting used to the place. The second week... I discover there are FLEAS - that's right, fleas - in my new apartment.
Last edited by pgh kenny on Feb 5th 2021, 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 4th 2005, 9:01 pm

Man, it sucks to deal with changing all the utilities and stuff again but at least you're getting out of that stinky apartment! A girl I know moved recently within her apartment complex to a nicer unit and it was a huge ordeal getting the internet and phone stuff transferred. They told her that broadband internet was not available in her new place and she wanted to know how that was possible. What some of the companies do here to determine if you can get DSL is look at the prefix of your phone number, which makes sense in most places. Where I used to live, you could tell at a glance where people lived based on their phone prefixes. Where I live now, however, they don't keep the phone prefixes in one area. For example, Mr. CG's mom had a phone prefix of 524. We live two streets over and when we moved into this house, our phone prefix was 558 which actually belongs in another city two miles down the road from us. His mom had DSL but when we tried to get it when we moved here, they told us our phone number wasn't eligible. We ended up changing our phone number last year and now our prefix is 526.

I hate fleas! A friend of mine had a dog who never had a flea problem and then out of nowhere the house was infested. I used to hang out at his place all the time over the summer and then one day I got a ton of bites on my ankles. Thankfully he bombed the house a few days later. I had those ugly dark marks on my legs for about two months afterwards so even once they stopped itching, I had several reminders to keep me company.

Those million little trips can be enough to drive you bonkers - good luck getting everything moved. At least you won't have to worry about getting a moving van!

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Dec 5th 2005, 12:32 pm

Thanks for the support, you guys. At least this time it will be after the semester ends (which is this Friday, hooray! I graduate next Friday 12/16). Yes, the million trips will be tedious, but at least I have borrowed a ton of cds from a couple friends and hopefully my bf will be able to help some. I have to clean EVERYTHING as I'm bringing it over. No sense in cleaning before just to have fleas get in there again. :cry: This sucks! I'll probably have to throw away my couch, so... no couch for a while. My mom thinks I should junk my mattress too, but where am I supposed to sleep then? She's crazy. I'll just wash it down and vaccuum. The couch though - that can go. I'll let you guys know how it turns out!
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 6th 2005, 1:25 am

My understanding of flea bombs (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!) is that they kill the adult fleas, not the eggs. Supposedly the eggs have a two week gestation period, so you should bomb the place two weeks after the initial spray to make sure you kill all the newly hatched adults. Hopefully that will keep any of the fleas from hitching a ride across the hallway with you. Good luck!

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » May 27th 2006, 6:30 pm

Two nights ago someone knocked on my door, but because I was tired and working, I didn’t answer it. Before I went to bed I checked my door to see if anything had been left, and there were six copies of an eviction notice giving me 60 days to leave due to nonpayment of rent. I was frantic; I didn’t understand, I was so scared. (God that sounds like one of those commercials for bail bonds, but it’s what I felt). It was too late to call anybody or to do anything, and so I was up all night panic stricken. I had to wait till 10:15 yesterday before I could get some answers. I contacted the guy who bought our complex several months ago, and asked him what was going on. Blithely he said that it was just a misprint. Oh, don’t worry, I’m still being evicted, we all are, but not because of nonpayment, that was a mistake; they’re tearing down our building. After all that we did to get the place protected by the historical society… I’m not sure that I ever posted any of this about my apartment complex and it being sold to some tool earlier this year who’s going to tear it down and turn it into condos… We’re a block from the beach, very close to a small harbor and the pier (the one they always show on the OC). Anyway, it’s a series of a few small houses and bungalows, with trees and gardens, and a huge yard with a clothesline and rope swing and homemade barbeque. When this whole transfer of ownership thing happened earlier this year, we worked with the historical society and city hall to try to protect our complex and our neighborhood from becoming an Orange County ticky tacky cookie cutter Stepford monstrosity. After all that, and letters to local newspapers and activists, it looked like because our building was built in 1913 we were historic, whereas the others, because they were built in the 1920's, well, they’re just in the way of progress. Now we’re all being pushed out. I’m not clear if in the end our house is coming down too, or if we just can’t live in it during the destruction. So now there’s 58 days. 58 days and counting. I love my neighbors, I love my street, and my block, the local businesses, the park, the library and it’s tiny garden, the coffee shop, and the pier. I love all my windows, and the great sea breezes I get, I love watching weddings from my sun room on Saturdays, listening to the choir practice late at night and early in the morning when I’m in bed, I love the bag pipe player who comes for the free lunches during the week, and I love the sea lions that keep me up at night. And I’ve only lived here two and a half years; my neighbors have lived here for ten to fifteen. All of the gardens are being ripped up too. Some of these plants have been here for years. There’s some really rare species that can’t be found anywhere else in the area. I hate this. I hate condominiums. I hate people who plan them, and I hate people who’d rather live in them instead of something with character and value. I hate these people moving to the beach communities with their millions of dollars, pushing out the low income housing, and thinking they can dictate how our communities should be run. Anyway, I have to move, and I’m starting to realize that if going back to school is a serious goal of mine, I’m going to have to cut back on living expenses in a major way. Which means moving back home, if my parents say yes. Which means a longer commute to work, no privacy, goodbye to my new bed, and sleepovers, and sanity. I’m relieved that it didn’t turn out to be a financial problem like I originally thought, but the rest of it sucks.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » May 27th 2006, 9:54 pm

If you looked at some of my earlier posts in this thread, that's pretty much just what happened to me last year. I'm so sorry, Jody - that really really sucks. I totally feel for you.

I really hate the whole cookie-cutter condo thing too. I will never be one of those people. It's one thing if they are in an ultra-urban dowtown city area, but quite another to be in a more historical area with character. Totally crappy.

I grew up in a 100 year old house near a beach and across the street from a park with a lagoon. Completely beautiful. I would never trade that old house for a brand new one ever.

~~Kristin~~

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 28th 2006, 5:21 pm

I hate packing and moving, but being given such short notice and such an awful reason make it that much worse. That really sucks. Is there any way to check with the city to see how the historical status is coming along?

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » May 28th 2006, 5:42 pm

poor Jody! it's so difficult to find a place that you love and then to have to leave, that's just heartbreaking. hopefully you can find a place nearby that is comparable!! good luck!

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » May 28th 2006, 11:15 pm

emmie wrote:poor Jody! it's so difficult to find a place that you love and then to have to leave, that's just heartbreaking. hopefully you can find a place nearby that is comparable!! good luck!
Yes Jody,

Good luck from me as well.

:D

-LanceMan

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » May 30th 2006, 1:05 pm

Oh that is horrible. I do feel for you. I can't imagine being turfed out of a home I loved as much as you clearly do yours.

'Progress'. Sheesh. Give me an old building with character over an egg-carton condo any day. But it all comes down to money in the end, as so many things do. He can probably fit in double the tenants if he rebuilds so that the rooms are the size of postage-stamps, and make a vast profit off selling a greater number of smaller units. Boo hiss.

Thatcher did a similar thing to this country in the 80s. Allow people who live in social housing as tenants to BUY their house: get that affordable housing onto the open market eventually! Sounds great, in theory, because they get security though ownership at a cut price. But it's not great, because the social housing slowly disappears into the private sector and becomes private assets rather than a community resource. If you want to give people greater tenancy security, the solution is reform of the tenancy laws, not letting the market take care of public goods.

OK, stop me now. I'm getting into rant mode. I'm pretty angry on your behalf though, because that truly sucks hard.

Do any of the longer tenants (you mentioned some who have been there 10-15 years) have any legal protection such that they could stop this through tenancy laws? Or at the very least, get you more notice before the building is demolished?

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Jun 2nd 2006, 2:56 pm

I'm going to be moving up to NYC in July. I want to live in Brooklyn, in as cheap yet still safe and pleasant apartment. does anyone have any tips?

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jun 12th 2006, 2:56 pm

emmie wrote:I'm going to be moving up to NYC in July. I want to live in Brooklyn, in as cheap yet still safe and pleasant apartment. does anyone have any tips?
Emmie,

I will try and check with my sister. She lives in Queens and commutes to Manhattan. Maybe she will no something on the Brooklyn score. Let you know what I find out.

-LanceMan

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Jun 19th 2006, 2:14 am

cool thanks, lance. we were also sort of looking in astoria queens. it seemed to be a nice little neighborhood with a short commute.

man, after a week of apartment hunting, I'm beat!! these realtors and landlords up here are ruthless!! if you can't prove that you make over 50 times the rent in a year, they won't even bother to show you the place. and then there is the whole issue of our budget in reality and where we can actually afford to live. it's all a bit overwhelming and depressing at times. and scuh a catch 22. all the realtors obviously want you to have a steady income, but you can't really get a job here without living here.....you need one to get the other.

in any case, I"m leaving without securing a place. guess I'll just have to come back and crash on friends' couches again. thank goodness for generous friends!! :)