GRAMMYs

Want to share your enthusiasm for an artist or a band with other "My So-Called Life" fans? Post here. (Note: Please discuss the MSCL soundtrack in the "Show" forum)
SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

GRAMMYs

Post by SanDeE* » Feb 15th 2005, 12:00 am

Did anyone watch the GRAMMY awards? I completely forgot so I missed the whole thing, but I found a list of winners on the internet. I think it's really a shame that they decided to honor Ray Charles now, as opposed to when he was living. I heard somewhere that he never won a grammy ever his whole life, and now he really cleaned up at the grammys this year after his death. Is that what it takes to get recognized and appreciated? I'm glad he finally got honored the way he deserved, but I'm just disappointed that they wait until after his death to honor him. Any thoughts on that or the rest of the winners?

I really want to hear the Best Instrumental Composition, Best Classical Album, and Best Traditional Soul Gospel Album winners.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Feb 15th 2005, 1:33 am

actually, that's not exactly true. I think he's won 6 Grammy's or something. four of those he won in one night. but that was many years ago. and I agree that he went undeserved for many years. reminds me of Johnny Cash's last album and how he won awards for it after he died. give them recognition when they can enjoy it! :roll:

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 15th 2005, 4:30 am

Previous to this year, Ray Charles won 12 Grammys:
1960 Best Rhythm & Blues Performance - Let The Good Times Roll

1960 Best Performance By A Pop Single Artist - Georgia On My Mind

1960 Best Vocal Performance Album, Male - The Genius Of Ray Charles

1960 Best Vocal Performance Single Record Or Track, Male - Georgia On My Mind

1961 Best Rhythm & Blues Recording - Hit The Road Jack

1962 Best Rhythm & Blues Recording - I Can't Stop Loving You

1963 Best Rhythm & Blues Recording - Busted

1966 Best Rhythm & Blues Recording - Crying Time

1966 Best R&B Solo Vocal Performance, Male Or Female - Crying Time

1975 Best R&B Vocal Performance, Male - Living For The City

1990 Best R&B Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal - I'll Be Good To You (with Chaka Khan)

1993 Best R&B Vocal Performance, Male - A Song For You
I totally agree though - it's a shame when great artists are ignored/unappreciated until it's too late. I used to love watching award shows when I was a kid, but now they seem like such a sham. Now I just flip to them occasionally to see the outfits. Sad but true.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Feb 15th 2005, 9:32 am

Thanks for finding that list, candygirl. I don't remember where I heard that Ray Charles hadn't won any before, but I thought it was incredibly odd. I'm glad that Garden State won for best soundtrack!
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

schris
Between Names

Post by schris » Feb 15th 2005, 3:54 pm

I didn't watch either. I looked over the list of winners though just to see.... I did watch Grammy's Fashion Police on E! last night and that was entertaining :D