Ol' Dirty Bastard Dead at 35

Want to share your enthusiasm for an artist or a band with other "My So-Called Life" fans? Post here. (Note: Please discuss the MSCL soundtrack in the "Show" forum)
fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Ol' Dirty Bastard Dead at 35

Post by fnordboy » Nov 14th 2004, 5:08 am

:( Ol' Dirty Bastard (of Wu Tang Clan fame) died earlier today (saturday). :(
Ol' Dirty Bastard, a founding member of the Wu-Tang Clan, died of unknown causes on Saturday in New York, according to his spokesperson. He was 35, but would have turned 36 on Monday.

Sources close to the rapper (whose real name was Russell

Tyrone Jones) said he had complained of chest pains earlier in the day, although no further details are available as of yet. ODB had been scheduled to perform with Wu-Tang at a concert in New Jersey on Friday night, but missed the show.

Another source reported that ODB arrived in the New York area on a flight from Denver at 10:30 p.m. Friday. He was at Wu-Tang's studio, 36 Records LLC on West 34th Street in New York, when he collapsed at approximately 4:35 p.m. on Saturday (November 13). He was pronounced dead at 5:04 p.m., according to Ellen Borakove, a spokesperson for the city medical examiner's office. She said that an autopsy will be conducted Sunday, and results should be known Sunday afternoon.

A statement was released Saturday evening by ODB's mother, Cherry Jones. "This evening, I received a phone call that is every mother's worst dream," she said. "My son, Russell Jones, passed away. To the public, he was known as Ol' Dirty Bastard, but to me, he was known as Rusty, the kindest, most generous soul on earth. I appreciate all the support and prayers that I have received. Russell was more than a rapper, he was a loving father, brother, uncle, and most of all, son."

Damon Dash, who signed ODB to Roc-A-Fella Records last fall, also released a statement. "All of us in the Roc-A-Fella family are shocked and saddened by the sudden and tragic death or our brother and friend," Dash said. "Russell inspired all of us with his spirit, wit and tremendous heart. He will be missed dearly, and our thoughts, prayers and deepest condolences go out to his wonderful family. The world has lost a great talent, but we mourn the loss of our friend."

Dirty, easily the most eccentric of the nine Wu-Tang Clan rappers (if not in all of hip-hop), showed promise as a solo artist, but was hindered by a long series of clashes with the law, which ranged from shoplifting to making terrorist threats.

The rapper, who also went by several unusual aliases (including Osirus, Joe Bannanas [sic], Dirt McGirt, Dirt Dog, Unique Ason and Big Baby Jesus), was released from prison last year. He had served a two-year term for parole violation and drug charges.

After his release from prison and psychiatric care, ODB signed with the Roc and was recording as Dirt McGirt (see "Ol' Dirty Bastard Hits Campaign Trail With New Album"). Most recently, he collaborated with Macy Gray for the album (see "ODB Duets With Macy Gray On 'Don't Go Breaking My Heart' ").

Wu-Tang reunited this summer for a concert in California. A recording of the show, titled Disciples of the 36 Chambers: Chapter 1, was released in September.
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/149372 ... tard.jhtml

He will be missed. An extremely talented individual gone so young. :(

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Nov 14th 2004, 3:16 pm

It just saddens me so much to hear about musical talent leaving this earth too early. Thanks for the post, fnordboy.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~