DVD Deals

This is the place to discuss new and old movies or DVD releases of movies. You can also create topics about your favorite actor/actress.
Please post topics related to new productions of the MSCL cast and crew into the "Afterlife" forum.
Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

DVD Deals

Post by Nothingman » Mar 3rd 2004, 6:08 pm

Being newly single I have discovered that my proud collection of DVD’s has been severely diminished, since I wasn’t the one who bought most of them. Now I’m faced with the challenge of replacing many of the movies that have since moved away. I was hoping you guys might be able to offer some insight into where I can get the best prices. As far as local stores go I’m limited to what Walmart and Target carry, and if they don’t have it I have to go to Hastings, which is very overpriced. Amazon appears to have fair prices, about the same as you can find them on Ebay if you get in on Amazon’s free shipping deals. The ex did BMG a few times and that is where most of the movies came from. BMG is a pain, but seems to a good way to go about it if you have a number of movies you would like to purchase at once. I know you guys buy a lot of movies too so I was hoping you might have some insight into this.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Mar 3rd 2004, 9:23 pm

Wal Mart usually sells new DVDs at a deep discount the first few days they are on the market. I bought a package of the movie and book versions of Seabiscuit for $15. However, my closest Wal Mart, which is not a Super Center, doesn't have a deep selection. I usually buy DVDs at Best Buy or through Amazon.com. I've never had any problems with Amazon.com, but I could just have been lucky. There are many deep discount online outlets, but I've read enough horror stories on the Web to make me leery of them. I'd rather pay a few extra bucks to Amazon.com and count on getting my DVDs in good order.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

John Hinckley
Tino

Post by John Hinckley » Mar 4th 2004, 8:21 am

i don't shop at best buy......the system they use is too hostile to other retailers. if they keep it up they will be putting a lot of good comapnies out of bsuiness......besides, there prices are only cheap if the title is a recent release.....amazon is reliable for about the best service and prices oin the market, but dont buy from the marketplace sellers, i've had quoite a few bad experiences with them....

not to be political, but id recommend that you buy from a local, independent retailer.....if you place a large order through them, they will likely give you a big price cut just because they appreciate the business, and you will be helping aide the destruction of the corporate behemoth in the meantime......

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Mar 4th 2004, 12:33 pm

Most likely you are going to have to hit up different stores to get your collection back to where you want it to be. Amazon is always good for a decent price, but better deals can be found online.

One of the cheapest places I shop at is Deep Discount DVD, they have usually the lowest prices. They are extremely slow though. Sometimes it will take a week or so to ship an item that is listed as in stock and several weeks to ship an item listed out of stock. But their prices are so low that, for me it seems worth the wait.

Another place I have never personally used but have heard good things about it overstock.com. They have pretty good prices too.

For older titles Best Buy is good, but a lot of their newer releases (even on release week) have been higher priced. They have stated that they do not need to put out titles at a loss anymore to get people in the store so they are abandoning that practice (atleast for now).

Like you said there is always BMG, I have also heard great things about Columbia House, supposedly they run some amazing deals. I have never used them for DVDs though so I can not give you an honest review.

You might want to find some stores in your area that sell used DVDs, or better yet pawn shops, always a deal going on there, plus you might be able to haggle :)

I will disagree with going to a mom & pop B&M. You will not get enough of a savings, unless you buy an amazing amount (and even then I would question it). It is a great concept, but in reality these shops sell at or almost at the MSRP (i don't blame them, they have to just to stay afloat), and I will only hit them up if they are severely breaking release date. That is the only time they are worth it to me.

pistolpeg
Liberty High Student

Post by pistolpeg » Mar 4th 2004, 5:56 pm

I was also going to suggest Deep Discount Dvd. I have had to wait a while on a couple of items, but overall very satisfied. Like you said fnordboy, can't beat the price. Other than them, I buy from Amazon and Best Buy.
Sometimes someone says something really small, and it just fits right into this empty place in your heart.

John Hinckley
Tino

Post by John Hinckley » Mar 4th 2004, 7:29 pm

oh man....I didn't know that best buy had stopped there selling below cost rpactices on DVD's, which is good, but I'm disappointed to see that no-one seems to shop anywhere but there.....the whole "buy from an independent retailer" rant really depends on the town you live in, and if there is one that you like......but if there is, it is well, well worth it.....and in response to the fact that they can't match amazon or best buy's prices, well, they can sometimes, and if not, they are usually really close......and even if it means spending $1 more per DVD, it is worth it to help out a local boy (or girl) instead of making the rich richer......

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Mar 4th 2004, 10:47 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll check out overstock.com and Deep Discount DVD. I was thinking if I know of any local stores that sell DVD’s that are not part of any major chains and I can’t come up with one. I guess there just isn’t enough money to made in it when you’re a little guy. Hastings is the only store that carries a wide range of movies, but unless you they are on the discount racks or are previously viewed rentals, they are all $20 or more.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 11th 2005, 10:52 pm

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com is having their biannual 20% off sale! Their prices are pretty low already too, so if you plan to buy any DVDs as Christmas gifts, do it now! The discount only applies to thing that are in stock (no pre-orders for movies that haven't been released yet) and the sale ends on 11/19. Use any of the following codes at checkout:

DD11
DVDSALE
DVDTALK
ESPN
SUPERSALE
USWEEKLY
USATODAY
PRICESEARCH
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Re: DVD Deals

Post by lance » Nov 24th 2005, 12:49 am

Nothingman wrote:Being newly single I have discovered that my proud collection of DVD’s has been severely diminished, since I wasn’t the one who bought most of them. Now I’m faced with the challenge of replacing many of the movies that have since moved away. I was hoping you guys might be able to offer some insight into where I can get the best prices. As far as local stores go I’m limited to what Walmart and Target carry, and if they don’t have it I have to go to Hastings, which is very overpriced. Amazon appears to have fair prices, about the same as you can find them on Ebay if you get in on Amazon’s free shipping deals. The ex did BMG a few times and that is where most of the movies came from. BMG is a pain, but seems to a good way to go about it if you have a number of movies you would like to purchase at once. I know you guys buy a lot of movies too so I was hoping you might have some insight into this.
On TV Series box sets you can sometimes get lucky with the Amazon Marketplace vendors. Got three sets of Stargate SG-1 at 50% off last year. Some extremely expensive sets (like Homicide Life on the Street or Babylon 5) can be almost reasonable there. The only downside is you might not have control over shipping speed. Took three weeks to get my Stargate Sets.

-LanceMan