Underworld?

This is the place to discuss new and old movies or DVD releases of movies. You can also create topics about your favorite actor/actress.
Please post topics related to new productions of the MSCL cast and crew into the "Afterlife" forum.
mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Underworld?

Post by mglenn » Sep 10th 2003, 10:40 am

Just wonder what other peoples thoughts were on Underworld. Its got two pluses in my book one its a vampire flick and I love a good vamp flick. Two it has Kate Beckinsale and if theres one thing I love more than a good vampire movie its :admire: Kate Beckinsale! (Sorry Candygirl you have competition!)
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Re: Underworld?

Post by fnordboy » Sep 10th 2003, 10:46 am

mglenn wrote:Just wonder what other peoples thoughts were on Underworld. Its got two pluses in my book one its a vampire flick and I love a good vamp flick. Two it has Kate Beckinsale and if theres one thing I love more than a good vampire movie its :admire: Kate Beckinsale! (Sorry Candygirl you have competition!)
I will just reply with a: ditto.

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Sep 10th 2003, 11:07 am

I think Underworld looks good. The vibe I’m getting from it is Blade meets The Crow meets Romeo and Juliet. I like the setup I see in the previews, I just hope the story is layered enough to keep you guessing and thinking. It’s got potential to be good, I just hope it doesn’t drop the ball.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 10th 2003, 7:47 pm

I hear you Mike - vampires AND Kate? :P Enough to make me drool!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Sep 11th 2003, 12:14 am

candygirl wrote: vampires AND Kate? :P Enough to make me drool!
Kate...in PVC...Image

The important question: is it enough to make you do splits? ;) :twisted:

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Sep 11th 2003, 2:31 am

It could go either way for me. White Wolf covered the vampire/lycanthrope enmity in their RPGs, and Buffy touched on it in the 2nd season. It's nice to see more films coming out of the former Soviet Bloc nations; they've got a lot of Old World Gothic settings that are hard to match in Hollywood (excepting Sunnydale, of course 8) ).

If my vamp-phile friends go to see it, I guess I will too.
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 11th 2003, 2:58 am

fnordboy wrote:
candygirl wrote: vampires AND Kate? :P Enough to make me drool!
Kate...in PVC...Image

The important question: is it enough to make you do splits? ;) :twisted:
Heh, I do that for no reason whatsoever, but if Kate asked, definitely!

:D

I love that pleather outfit she's wearing in the trailer.

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Sep 12th 2003, 10:23 am

candygirl wrote: Heh, I do that for no reason whatsoever, but if Kate asked, definitely!

:D

I love that pleather outfit she's wearing in the trailer.
Please make the naughty thoughts stop!!!! :crazyeyes:
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 16th 2003, 4:07 pm

Funny little snippet regarding the outfit we like so much:
Beckinsale's Suit Problems

British actress Kate Beckinsale hated the tight-fitting leather suit she wore for new movie Underworld - because it was too hot, too cold and she couldn't go to the toilet. The Pearl Harbor star filmed the vampire film in Budapest, Hungary, during a savage summer and a fierce winter - and the whole experience was one of her most uncomfortable.

She says, "The first week of shooting we were in the subway, and in Budapest and they go from insanely hot summers to winter overnight. The first weeks were really brutal with the suit and it took a long time to peel off and it made this kind of farting noise with everybody standing outside your trailer thinking it's really funny. I couldn't cool down at first and then I couldn't get warm." Beckinsale moans she was thirsty for much of the movie making because she couldn't drink for fearing of needing to dash to the toilet.

She explains, "The suit had a zipper up the front, so it was a fetish one-piece. It would've been quick but I had that corset thing so nobody offered me any water. They would by pass me because I'd have to take off the corset and then undo the suit and freeze and get it up again, so they had to dehydrate me."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 18th 2003, 1:37 pm

From imdb:
Beckinsale's Breast Demands Backfire
Movie beauty Kate Beckinsale was left stunned after demanding her breasts be enhanced on the posters for her new film Underworld - because artists made them too big. The Hollywood star reacted by ordering photo professionals to downsize her assets, but admits the bust she sports on the final adverts is an exaggeration of her actual figure. But the embarrassing incident at least made the actress appreciate her smaller breasts, because a large chest makes her look "stupid". She says, "I got over-excited and asked them to enlarge my breasts. But they gave me such big ones I had them shaved. I wanted to see what I was like with really big boobs but it looked stupid. The poster is still a bit generous. I think it was done to please me. I still have a bit extra."
Interestingly, if you compare the picture of Cordelia on the AtS boxset you can see that the picture on the outside of the box (with just her behind Angel) features much larger breasts than the exact same picture on the foldout packaging (with her behind Angel, then Gunn and Wesley on the right). I know that she has sizable breasts to begin with, but it looks like they digitially enhanced the picture on the outside of the box.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Sep 18th 2003, 1:57 pm

My girlfriend has come up with a new title for this movie, the Crowtrix.

Very fitting IMO. :lol:

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Sep 21st 2003, 9:46 pm

Just got back from seeing it. I think its silly to say the look is very Crow, or Matrix, since both those copied looks of earlier movies, which copied looks of earlier movies...etc...etc...etc...

There's not any real original ideas anymore. The originality comes from mixing and making new combinations of those ideas. :P

Anyways, I have a question for people, its about the fate of a character, but I don't think it'll spoil anything, but just in case:

[spoiler]What happens to Kraven in the end? I didn't fall asleep but I totally don't remember what happens to him.[/spoiler]

If you've seen, PLEASE let me know, cause its bugging me!!
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Sep 22nd 2003, 9:21 am

I haven't seen it yet... But on the other note I've heard it said that, depending on who you ask, there are only between 3 and 10 different plot lines everything else is a just a twist on one of those.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 22nd 2003, 1:27 pm

Yup, the Hero with a Thousand Faces (Joseph Campbell) :D

guitarchick
Overlooked Sibling

underworld

Post by guitarchick » Sep 30th 2003, 1:32 pm

I didn't like this movie... I found it rather stupid and that's saying a lot because I am a big Scott Speedman fan... but I thought even Speedy couldn't save this one... I didn't find many of the characters sympathetic and I really didn't get into it emotionally. As the movie went on, I didn't know which side to route for. It just felt like a sequence of guns shooting, needles injecting and people plotting being repeated over and over.. But to be fair, I'm not the biggest fan of this film genre... I took my little brother to see it and he loved it...

Emilie