Stargate

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Stargate

Post by lance » Aug 29th 2004, 11:09 pm

Any Stargate fans here?

I just discovered Stargate SG-1 over the summer. Not having access to cable until recently I never really got into the show early on. I finished a huge Stargate Marathon, watching Seasons 1-6. Granted I might have used the time for better purposes (a second job, new hobby, cure for cancer, world peace) but I felt it was worth it.

Babylon 5 and Buffy fans you might want to check it out. Like these shows Stargate utilizes Season arcs and weaves in and out subplots that carry over between seasons. Most of the episodes stand on their own. The ones that are arced usual have enough "previoulsy on..." to catch you up to speed.

In the meantime I have snagged Seasons 1-4 on DVD. Season 7, the big one where they fight Anubis, is due out in October. I have already pre-ordered that one.

Hopefully I will pick up Seasons 5 & 6 sometime around Christmas.

-LanceMan

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Sep 10th 2004, 10:43 pm

Yesterday was an extremely, loooooooong day.

As a result I just snagged Stargate: Season 5 on DVD.

:D

Ahhhhh, much better now.

-LanceMan

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Oct 14th 2004, 12:20 am

Okay.

Doesn't appear to be many Stargate fans here.

Nonetheless, I am extremely pumped that Season 7 is due out Tuesday and that Amazon's warehouse in Nevada is in Fernley. Which as it turns out is only a day's mail away from me.

-LanceMan

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Oct 14th 2004, 1:30 am

lance wrote:Okay.

Just think you can have a conversation with yourself and pad your post count ;)

I actually have not watched any of the TV series. I like the movie, but never got around to watching this. I often wonder how it is, but not enough to blind buy S1

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Oct 14th 2004, 10:11 pm

fnordboy wrote:
lance wrote:Okay.

Just think you can have a conversation with yourself and pad your post count ;)

I actually have not watched any of the TV series. I like the movie, but never got around to watching this. I often wonder how it is, but not enough to blind buy S1
:rofl:

....uh, who me? :oops: :wink:

The series is wonderful, actually. My brother has been a huge fan for a while. As with Buffy I was slow to warm to this series. I didn't start watching Buffy until Season 4. I just started with Stargate this summer, in between Seasons 7 & 8. As with Buffy Stargate offers an ensemble cast. Richard Dean Anderson is just hilarious throughout the series. He should have been a comedian. Christopher Judge plays a more serious, thoughful role sort of a combo of Spock and Worf. Amanda Tapping brings intellect, as well as incredibly stunning good looks, to the show. Along with Michael Shanks the cast is well balanced and flows well.

Again as with Buffy most episodes stand on there own. As with Babylon 5 and Buffy story arcs do run in and inbetween seasons. Things that happened in first Season may come again in Seasons 3 and 4. The show is extremely, extremely well written.

With all the DVDs out there is hard really to keep up with everything and still afford groceries but I would recommend Stargate SG-1 as one you should check out.

-LanceMan

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Feb 8th 2005, 12:52 am

Apparently Beau Bridges, Lou Gossett Jr, Mitch Pileggi (of X-Files Fame) and Ben Browder (late of Farscape) will be joining the casts of Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis.

-LanceMan

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jul 14th 2005, 11:09 pm

darn DVD companies trying to keep me poor,

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3686

Every fall Dvd fans both dread/hope for October and November when multiple DVD sets come out like 17 year Cicadas over Cincinnati, all 5 million of them.

On October 4th I will be picking up Space Above and Beyond and Stargate SG-1: 8th Season.

It hurts so good.

-LanceMan

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Sep 13th 2006, 9:36 pm

:evil:

:(

Well Sci Fi Channel just to remind us they are who they are. They have axed Stargate SG-1.

D'oh!

Rumors are floating about MGM moving it elsewhere but for now its dead.

-LanceMan