Your Jordan Catalano

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
Tish
Three Rivers Resident

Your Jordan Catalano

Post by Tish » Jul 3rd 2009, 9:02 pm

Anyone can answer this--straight guys pretend it's a female Jordan--who was YOUR Jordan Catalano at school or right now...the person you loved so much but was ashamed of holding your hand or being seen with you. The one you went out for a short time or the one that cheated on you with a friend?
"i am a punk rocker, and i fight for justice!"

4alifetime
Liberty High Student

Re: Your Jordan Catalano

Post by 4alifetime » Jul 17th 2009, 2:24 pm

Oh did I have a Jordan Catalano! I met him while I was visiting my mom out of state, he lived in the same neighborhood she did. We had a hot summer romance, for a 12 year old anyway! A few years later, at 15, I moved in with my mom and we started dating over the summer and it was great. Then, when the summer was over and school started we were still dating but it fizzled on his end after a few months. I was devastated! I always think of him when Angela says to Jordan, "I would have done anything I wanted him so much!" LOL! I guess you could also compare it to Danny & Sandy, only without the happy ending dance ensemble scene!

Tish, you started this you have to tell us your answer too!!!!
There's so many different ways to be connected to people.
There are the people you feel this unspoken connection to,
even though there's not even a word for it.
There's the people who you've known forever, who know you in
this way that other people can't, because they've seen you
change...

they've let you change.

Tish
Three Rivers Resident

Post by Tish » Dec 21st 2009, 12:12 am

my jordan catalano was a bassist for a band "and i would done anything i wanted him so bad" and i liked him a lot an eventually we hooked up but then we had a number of dates and when he wanted to "ummm" me and i didn't want to yet he cooled off...it got awkward to be around him but it was sad though we remained friends...i had my own corey to talk to make my jordan jealous which it did and he went off with this other girl who blew him off... :roll:
"i am a punk rocker, and i fight for justice!"

Sanvean17
Tino

Post by Sanvean17 » Jul 31st 2010, 11:37 am

My Jordan Catalano is a smart but lazy kid with long curly hair and big green eyes. He wears baggy flannel shirts and has holes in his shoes. Absolutely beautiful in a rough, boyish way.

He stayed back four times - just like me. We both got our GEDs this summer.

My Jordan plays the bass and found it very amusing when he learned that I played too. I was very surprised. In high school, we sat together in a class or two, sometimes we talked and sometimes we didn't. He only had two girlfriends, both during our senior year. I sat back and watched. He was oblivious to my affections.

But even though we weren't close, he did seek me out. Like when my amplifier broke, he just GAVE me his old one. Always got the door for me, didn't do it much for anyone else. Offered to help tutor me in calculus when I told him I was flunking - all in all, he was a really nice kid.

It took him until the last month before graduation to realise, I guess, that I meant something to him. I don't know exactly what, but it was something. We skipped at least one class together, just hanging around and talking about nothing. And the way he smiled at me, I really couldn't believe it. He does have those big, bright eyes like Jordan Catalano. And even though he had (and has) a girlfriend, he asked me for my number.

One day, although it went over my head at the time, he hinted that he wanted me to come out to the parking lot. And sit in his car. I'm very oblivious to these kind of things, so I just stayed where I was. But later that night, when I realised what he was saying - I literally thought to myself - "this is straight out of MSCL!"

The summer has been complex - keeping in touch over texting - until one day it just stopped. And he always initiated, mentioned hanging out. I don't know why, in just one week, he would so quickly change his mind.

I sent him a message about seeing a show - the BOC - and later when I comfronted him about it, I guess he never got it. I think maybe his girlfriend saw it. Oh well.

He still hasn't talked to me in two weeks, otherwise. But college is a comin'! And there will be plenty of mischeif for us ahead.

My so-called life lives on!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
My heart, my sacred heart.

Bacchante
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Bacchante » Sep 23rd 2010, 7:13 pm

I should share my experience with my Jordan(s), but in the meantime, I thought I'd share this link in which someone describes her bitter experience with the Jordan type. I found it funny that she blames MSCL/Jordan for her miserable love life, since for me, I was into the Jordan type way before seeing MSCL :)

http://www.thefrisky.com/post/246-how-j ... love-life/
"I know you think, how could someone like me understand. Only, I do."

Superjesus
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Superjesus » Jun 20th 2011, 3:58 am

OK, I may as well tell the story here since, while I haven't had a Jordan, I have been one in the past. I, however, had my reasons for doing so.

She was a complete Angela clone - not really physically, but in her innocence, sweetness and relative naivete about the world. And she was 14, blonde, blue eyed, totally cute but with new developments, if you know what I mean. Normally she would never have tried a guy like me but she was a minister's daughter (guess all that prayer had some benefits :wink: ) who wanted to rebel against her conservative dad - who better than a 17 year old dude with a shaved brown head who's life revolved around smoking pot, playing in various untalented punk rock bands, watching sports, surfing and driving around in a souped-up Holden? (And I was still smart enough to graduate high school and go to college).

I originally went out with her just as a bit of a fun experiment - how much could I corrupt her, basically - but I found that I really enjoyed her company and that we actually were a really good fit for each other. And unlike Angela, she was more than keen to try everything I could think of and then some. Yet I always sought to keep our relationship on the downlow for two reasons:
a) My friends - even I knew they were dickheads then, and we're still dickheads now in our early 20s (this was four years ago). They would have given her all kinds of s**t that I knew she wouldn't be able to handle.
b) Her friends - they all knew we were seeing each other, they all warned her I was trouble of the highest order, and I didn't trust them to not tell her dad who would have rained all kinds of holy hell upon her (and probably me).

In the end, after a few months she got sick of the secrecy and told me she was telling her mates, one of them told her dad and that was pretty much it. He told me that if he ever caught me around his daughter again he would personally arrange for the police to search my car (and since his brother was a local cop, I didn't doubt his ability to do so).

I re-connected with her via Facebook recently. Seems that she's grown out of her rebel phase and now has a nice, solid football-playing boyfriend (kind of like Kyle, in fact) and is on track for university next year. I miss her though. Our time together was fun. But I don't have any regrets considering how it panned out. And I've still got the tapes.

GlitterKnitter
Frozen Embryo

Post by GlitterKnitter » Jun 25th 2011, 1:12 am

My Jordan was a guy I openly pined after for the first 3 years of high school. He knew it, everyone knew it. Nothing happened. We dated right after high school, stayed together for about 5 years, I cheated on him, broke up, got back together, broke up again. I was 24 years old at this point. The guy I cheated on my "jordan" with came back into my life and we've been together over 5 years and are now married-- HAH!

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jul 15th 2011, 8:11 am

I think Jordan Catalano is my Jordan Catalano. None of my relationships resemble the relationship on the show. None of the guys or men I've known share his personality traits. It's just this wonderfully curiously exasperating character. Han, Rhett, Darcy, Jordan, these are characters imprinted on my heart at an early and impressionable age, and will probably always spark an eighth of a heart-flutter.
Last edited by Jody Barsch* on Jul 15th 2011, 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 15th 2011, 8:15 am

Only an eighth?

:mrgreen:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

BuffaloLawnmower
Liberty High Student

Post by BuffaloLawnmower » Aug 9th 2011, 7:03 am

At one point, I had both a Jordan and a Brian in my life at the same time. They fit the basic types of the "nice" but geeky guy and the "exciting" but bad boy. However, there were both similarities and differences between them and the show's Brian Krakow and Jordan Catalano. The Jordan and the Brian in my life were more black-and-white than the characters on the show (which is an odd reversal: usually TV characters are more extreme and black-and-white than real people; go figure).

The Brian in my life had the intelligence of Brian Krakow but didn't have the intuition or sensitivity of Brian Krakow, and he wasn't really articulate like Brian Krakow. The Brian barely knew me but liked me (or, rather, was probably infatuated with me; different than Brian Krakow who knew Angela most of his life and genuinely cared for her) and was a good person, but we just were not compatible, had nothing in common, and didn't agree on anything. We didn't have anything to really hold us together and I never felt comfortable enough around him to really become friends (not that I felt like he was dangerous or a threat or anything; the uneasiness was due to simply not being able to be myself and 'take off the mask' with him like Angela can sometimes do with Brian; we never bonded like that. Whatever it takes to get to that point, we just never got there).

The Jordan was exciting and a bit 'bad', but didn't have the hidden emerging good side that Jordan Catalano has. He truly was an evil person, unlike Jordan. I'd rather not get into the gory details, especially online, but suffice to say that the Jordan in my life really was evil and I feel grateful that I was able to get away before he did the worst things that he could have done. Jordan Catalano is Mother Teresa compared to the Jordan that I knew. As was the case with Angela and Jordan, the Jordan in my life wanted to 'um' but I did not--I was not ready and something inside was just saying that it would be wrong; I had a really bad feeling about it so I stayed true to myself. The Jordan was someone with whom I was infatuated, but someone who strung me along and didn't respect me; eventually, we stopped speaking, and I am glad that the Jordan is out of my life (and I hope and pray that we never cross paths again). I didn't technically go out with either of them and was not either one's girlfriend, and I didn't "um" either of them.

What I was to the Brian, the Jordan was to me, as it is with Angela.

Part of what I learned from this experience was that I am content to be single and don't need a partner, but, if I ever am in a position that I would want one, I would choose a Brian. However, that said, it couldn't just be any Brian. It would have to be the right kind of Brian. There are sub-types of the basic Brian and Jordan types; there's a whole spectrum in both categories. (And, of course, there are probably other types besides Brian and Jordan, but those are perhaps the two most recognizable). There are certain types of Brians that would appeal to me and others that, while I would recognize them as good people, would just not be good matches for me for other reasons.

The other really big thing that I learned is that some people are actually interested in me (on an emotional level) and some are physically attracted to me. I learned that some people, out there, in the world, really are drawn to me in at least one way; in some cases, people like me on more than one level--really. It's so weird for me. I was always the ugly duckling growing up and it wasn't until really later in high school that someone asked me out and admitted a crush/physical attraction to me--and even then, it didn't happen often. I dismissed it as being either a joke, as not being really serious, or just someone wanting to be with someone. It wasn't until about a year or two ago that people really started hitting on me, which now happens on a regular basis. I also found out after high school that some people found me attractive, but I had never known about it. I'm still trying to cope with all of this. It really scares me that people have those kinds of thoughts about me and that I'm "visible" (for lack of a better word) to other people; even though I know in some cases it's just someone looking for a hookup and not a genuine attraction, it still freaks me out that people notice me because it never happened before. I don't really have much of a physical or emotional need for a partner--it's very, very rare that I ever really fall for someone and I'm pretty independent in that sense; I don't hate men or anything like that--so this is all really confusing and overwhelming to me.

*edited to make a correction and to add something that I left out