Ross Rojek arrested for fraud (**OFFICIAL THREAD**)

This forum has been closed and archived. No further postings allowed. Read-only access. For more informations read this announcement.
NewsHound
Frozen Embryo

Ross Rojek arrested for fraud (**OFFICIAL THREAD**)

Post by NewsHound » Apr 13th 2004, 1:35 pm

Those of you waiting for refunds from Ross may be waiting... a long time.

Say, ten to twenty years.

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld ... -headlines

Calif. Man Accused of 9/11 Fraud
By Associated Press

April 12, 2004, 10:35 PM EDT

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- A man who told investors he was developing a face recognition system following the 2001 terrorist attacks has been arrested on fraud charges, investigators said Monday.

Ross Rojek, 36, of Sacramento, was charged with wire and mail fraud for his operation of Face Information Technology, known as Face IT, the FBI said. He also apparently operated American Equity Group LLC under the alias of Jason Williams, the FBI alleged in an affidavit made public Monday.

While Rojek purportedly told investors he was developing a system that would automatically match distinct facial features to a database, "it doesn't seem to be anything he was seriously working on," said Karen Twomey Ernst, an FBI spokeswoman.

It was unclear whether Rojek had hired a lawyer.

Investors received an unsolicited telephone call, followed by a business prospectus sent by express mail, the affidavit says. The prospectus included apparently bogus biographies of Face IT's management team alleging they were highly educated former executives of Netscape Communications, it says.

ADMIN EDIT: I changed the topic title a bit and made this topic sticky. sab.

Sammi
Substitute Teacher

Post by Sammi » Apr 13th 2004, 2:33 pm

Finally justice in some form will be served.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Apr 13th 2004, 3:01 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is that really the same Ross? If so that is so friggin perfect :lol:

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Apr 13th 2004, 3:28 pm

Well looks like it definitely is the same Ross Rojek we all love so dearly:

Source
Sacramento man arrested in alleged $1 million face ID fraud

DON THOMPSON

Associated Press

SACRAMENTO - A Sacramento man has been arrested on allegations he bilked investors of more than $1 million he said would go in part to develop a face recognition system in the wake of the 2001 terrorist attacks.

Ross Allen Rojek, 36, was charged with wire and mail fraud for his operation of Face Information Technology, known as Face IT, the FBI said. He also apparently operated American Equity Group LLC under the alias of Jason Williams, the FBI alleged in an affidavit made public Monday.

While Rojek purportedly told investors he was developing a system that would automatically match distinct facial features to a database, "it doesn't seem to be anything he was seriously working on," FBI spokeswoman Karen Twomey Ernst said.

Investors were told patents were pending, but no patent requests had been made, the FBI said.

Investors received an unsolicited telephone call, followed by a business prospectus sent by express mail, the affidavit says. The prospectus included apparently bogus biographies of Face IT's management team alleging they were highly educated former executives of Netscape Communications. Some investors were told the company was on the verge of an initial public offering of stock on the NASDAQ stock exchange.

At least 32 people from around the nation invested at least $467,000 in Face IT, also doing business as Sentry Biometrics, the FBI said. Bank records show that their investments were quickly converted to cash and withdrawn.

Another 47 investors put about $590,000 into American Equity Group, which presented itself as a real estate investment trust headquartered in San Francisco. Of that, $218,900 was transferred to American Entertainment Group, of which Rojek is president, and the rest was quickly disbursed.

The investors were told their money was generating extraordinary returns, but they never saw the money or dividends without repeated requests, the FBI alleged.
Relevant parts bolded.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Apr 13th 2004, 3:38 pm

Way to go, FBI! :-)

Here's more:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/stat ... rrest.html
http://fox40.trb.com/news/ktxl-041204ar ... txl-news-3

http://news.google.com/news?q=Ross%20Ro ... a=N&tab=wn

According to these news reports, "Ross Allen Rojek" screwed his investors for about $1 million. Oh and note the similarity: "American Equity Group" and "American Entertainment Group"? This *is* our Ross.

On the other side, this probably means a) no refunds anymore and b) no more bonus DVDs shipped.
But Ross behind bars would at least rebuild some of my lost trust in the US legal system.

I guess that's how Ross paid the shipping of the remaining bonus stuff - those $218,900 that were transferred to the "Entertainment Group" sound much like it.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Apr 13th 2004, 3:57 pm

Although it really sucks to know that the chances of more bonus discs being sent out are slim to none, I am cackling with glee over Ross finally getting in trouble for all the slimy, underhanded sh!t he has been involved in. So who thinks the FBI wants to hear from us about how he stole money from MSCL fans over two years ago?

:twisted:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Apr 13th 2004, 5:01 pm

Wooo HOOOOOO!!!!!

This was even a headline on Drudge!! I saw that, didn't read it, then came here, OMG!!! WOW!

Ding dong the witch is dead...HAHAHAHA!

I wonder if Jason can get in touch with the FBI or whomever and make sure they know the connection to all of what has gone on with the DVDs. I'm sure a prosecutor might like to know about that...

Wow. What a dumbass. I guess screwing over a whole legion of fans wasn't enough anymore for him. The only way he could get his kicks was to go after actual law enforcement types and screw them over too.

The balls. He won't have them much longer!
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Apr 13th 2004, 5:52 pm

I know there are bigger issues involved here now, but if you are interested, I can try to find out how remaining materials can be channelled to people who are still owed.

That, or I can contact BF to see if the bonus materials can be made available for a limited run at cost to those who didn't get them.

Anyway, congratulate yourselves if you reported problems to the IFCC. Where there is smoke, there is often fire. I apologize that I could not say more than I did.

To answer the previous poster, I did speak with law enforcement (probably these same, fine folks) on a number of occassions. I sent them all of my info.

Debs
Liberty High Student

Post by Debs » Apr 13th 2004, 8:35 pm

Well! Good news indeed! I thought this day would never come.
I bet he'll be cold tonight.

Fabulous, fabulous news!

Debs xxx
Mom. Streamers?

crispy
Nicky Driscoll

Post by crispy » Apr 13th 2004, 11:55 pm

It's too bad the FBI is only interested in someone when they steal from wealthy investors. Who cares if Ross cheats regular consumers like us? Pardon my bitterness. I am glad he's been arrested, in any case.

Jason R wrote:I know there are bigger issues involved here now, but if you are interested, I can try to find out how remaining materials can be channelled to people who are still owed.

That, or I can contact BF to see if the bonus materials can be made available for a limited run at cost to those who didn't get them.

Hi Jason! Good to see you posting here again... Yes PLEASE try to contact Bedford Falls... I know we'd all be extremely grateful! I'm one of those people who cancelled their orders with AU, disgusted by that thieving weasel Rojek.... and came to regret it... never receiving a refund, and losing all chance of seeing the bonus dvd as well. What I'd give for another chance to buy it...and straight from the creators of MSCL too! That would be wonderful...

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Apr 14th 2004, 12:03 am

I kind of "sensed" this was coming and had to be a little more patient than I am used to being. That, and I felt that I was getting on the nerves of some mods.

Does anyone have a suitable master? I will contact BF in the next few days.

crispy wrote:It's too bad the FBI is only interested in someone when they steal from wealthy investors. Who cares if Ross cheats regular consumers like us? Pardon my bitterness. I am glad he's been arrested, in any case.

Jason R wrote:I know there are bigger issues involved here now, but if you are interested, I can try to find out how remaining materials can be channelled to people who are still owed.

Hi Jason! Good to see you posting here again... Yes PLEASE try to contact Bedford Falls... I know we'd all be extremely grateful! I'm one of those people who cancelled their orders with AU, disgusted by that thieving weasel Rojek.... and came to regret it... never receiving a refund, and losing all chance of seeing the bonus dvd as well. What I'd give for another chance to buy it...and straight from the creators of MSCL too! That would be wonderful...

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Apr 14th 2004, 1:53 am

Jason R wrote:I kind of "sensed" this was coming and had to be a little more patient than I am used to being.
Did your little chat with him have anything to do with his impending doom? Sounded like maybe he was saying his goodbyes to everyone, and you were sort of putting the past behind you, knowing he was finally getting what he deserved.

I'd be very curious to find out how that call went, knowing now his fate. :) But I totally understand if its not a public thing. Curious-by-nature I guess, especially concerning what a soap opera/disaster this has all been. :wink:
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Apr 14th 2004, 1:57 am

What call are you talking about? I have not spoken to him in over a year. When I did, he called me accusing me of spreading lies about him.

Don't beleive anything on FC. Someone else was "trolling" under my screenname. That's what I got for giving it away.

I got it back because I remembered that my laptop had another browser on it (ghostzilla) and it saved the cookie. The old cookie allowed me to log into my old account and change the password back.

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Apr 14th 2004, 2:11 am

My bad. :)

Chase Cat
Three Rivers Resident

Ross and Jason

Post by Chase Cat » Apr 14th 2004, 3:10 am

Ross Rojek, 36, of Sacramento [...] also apparently operated American Equity Group LLC under the alias of Jason Williams
I guess Ross is seriously ill. He has actually chosen the name Jason. It has to be an unconscious wish to be the man, who has punished him the most. From his sight, this "Jason"-Person has crossed his plans. And Jason did this in a legal way. Ross couldn't understand that. So he developed a split personality. The struggle of good and evil in his heart personified as Jason and Ross. The good Jason wanted to forget all the mistakes, which the bad Ross has done. He moved on to American Equity Group and Face IT. He really wanted to do a legal job. But Ross' old costumers didn't shut up. They wanted more and more. Jason couldn't raise enough money to make them silent. The end of the story... Ross won. He had to win! Otherwise the good Jason couldn't survive in his heart. He had to save him from the angry mob, this unmerciful AU costumers, crying for their lunchbox and bonus disc. Ross isn't guilty. It was a case of self-defense. He is the victim of us die-hard fans.

Maybe his lawyer should acquire this defense strategy and let the man go into a hospital.

But wait...

...on the other side it was very clever from him, to move money from American Equity Group to American Entertainment Group. Sounds a little bit too conscious for a crazy man. Guilty! Sentence him to life!
Patty to Graham: You always buy the cat nicer food than I do.